NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

I have 466.47 installed and really bad performance with my RTX3080 now near ground.

FPS are fine. 40ish mid air, above 50 during cruising.

But when taxiing and turning, it stutters so bad. I go from 36-40 on ground down to 20.

No matter which scenery, no matter which plane, beside the Aerosoft CRJ, here everything runs smooth (why).

This drives me crazy.

I suppose I would start by disabling everything in the Community folder and set your simulator graphics options to default and try to triage the situation from there. Make gradual changes to your set-up and see if you can identify one thing as causing the problem. Why not try the hot-fix driver 466.55, although I suspect the driver alone is not responsible for your ‘FS’ woes. Perhaps look at your game controller hardware drivers and set-up too, (how are you steering on the ground?).

Have you changed any global textures related the ground, runway, taxi or trees?

There was once a utility that you could run that would log which .bgl files and texture files were being loaded into earlier MS flight simulators. Sometimes it was possible to identify a missing texture and .bgl files. This was sometime ago and I cant’ remember how it was done. I wonder if there is a utility or way to view a log file for MSFS 2020 that, (just like X-Plane) that would give you an insight as to what is going on behind the scenes, 'so-to-speak ’ in the new simulator? I guess there is, I have just never had to use it.
BRGDS. Charles

You need to download the DCH version. Let me know if you don’t see it.

@TheAviator3506

Turns out id did download the standard driver.
I should have downloaded the DHC driver ( that one is working ) .

Fps looks 1or 2 frames better on my test startup in comparison to 457.30 :+1:

Will test a full flight later this week

1 Like

Well done guy’s for working it out! :smiley: Great to see the FPS might be better too. BRGDS. Charles

Installed 466.55, no effect. I use 4K I thought it could help, but no.

What I also noticed since I have the stuttering, the runways texture is flickering slightly.

I tried everything now
 including clean FS reinstall

1 Like

Eklester, I am sorry you have not been able to resolve your poor performance when taxiing. Re-installing the simulator sounds like a real pain. The only thing I can suggest is to post in the Avsim forum as well as this one to see if any other people are having the same experience as you. I guess you may have to contact the help desk for MSFS 2020 if not already done so. I assume you have your Win 10 system graphics configured with HAGS off etc/ Nvidia CTL Panel settings set to default or recommended settings. I have done a quick search of the internet for a solution for you, I could not find anything that matches your symptoms during the short time I looked on-line. I think it’s unlikely to be display driver related. It would also be interesting to hear if you get these symptoms at a lower display setting like 1080P? I understand this is a global problem within the simulator and not a favourite airport. Take care, BRGDS. Charles

Yepp. Tried to go lower. In 1440p I get then 56 fps on ground with most things ultra

But still the same issue with the stutter when moving the view point (basically in the cockpit, in the outside view I can move like crazy and all is smooth).

What I really don’t understand: In the CRJ I don’t have such problems on ground (with the same scenery), but in other planes I do.

2 Likes

I would get this issue out into the main forum, you might be limiting potential replies with help because this is a GPU driver thread. Do you have any other third-party AC that you can try? It sounds like this issue may be associated with your default AC only? Something to do with Virtual Cockpit mode and perhaps refresh rates in VC mode perhaps? The fact that you have a new fresh install might make it easier to diagnose. Your not using VR are you?

Have you tried reducing your instrument update-rate and then taxiing? Try changing the setting for the VC refresh rate instruments in the options and save the settings. Perhaps re-start the simulator and change the setting back to where it was when you had the problem and see if anything has changed for the better.

I am not convinced that a re-install has cleared out/removed and updated all the MSFS 2020 directories on your computer. You may still have some older .cfg files that are are being used now that were left over from the previous install! If I had to uninstall MSFS 2020, I would probably manually check the PC for left overs, (files and folders) back them up and delete the left over originals. If you did not have to re-register the new installation again, then there had to be something left over.

Could there be a clue here 

Charles

You may want to check this thread out.Some of the guys explain the reasons behind this. Do not think the issue is related at all to GPU.

1 Like

Well done Aerosoft! I think the issue Eklester is having goes a little deeper than this because I am using an old PC system and have not noticed such a marked degradation in performance as Eklester is having when taxiing in VC mode. The coding used may be exacerbating another problem which might have it’s roots in a .cfg file. That is my thinking/guess. Charles.

To me, it’s all about risk management and performance.

I use VR much of the time. I and many others have reported that with 457.30 you get substantially better performance in VR in MSFS 2020 than with any of the newer nVidia drivers (although I haven’t tried the very latest driver yet.) Going to try that later today and will report back if anything changes.

So far, I have been willing to take the risk of the older driver because I manage the malware risk overall by running a combination of both a blacklist and a whitelist model of malware protection. [Windows Defender (blacklist model) and PCMatic (whitelist model)]. Between the two of them, I feel that I have reduced the risk of infection by any malware which could exploit the older nVidia driver to well below my risk appetite threshold.

Any executable which Windows Defender misses but is not already whitelisted by PCMatic will be intercepted by PCMatic which gives me the option to either allow the executable to run once or allow it to run always. With program installers, for example, I choose run once because I have found that more than one program has used an installer called “setup.exe” and I don’t want to allow a generic “setup.exe” to run always. On the other hand, once I’ve installed a program, I will choose “allow always” for the program executable.

I’m now using the 466.55 driver.

No problems.

2 Likes

Ron, but brand new is the 466.63 :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, they are coming fast.

I didn’t get a notice from Geforce.

Installing it now.

1 Like

Do you use it in VR? If so, Have you compared it to 457.30 in VR?

Here is a link to 466.63

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/175870/en-us

Fixed Issues in this Release
[VR]: If the GPU is connected to a 4K UHD TV, the system may freeze when launching a VR game. [3313315]
[RTX 20 series][GTX 16/10 series][HDMI]: 4K @ 120Hz display mode is not available from display settings. [3312401]

No problem with it.
4K at 100, 200, 200
i9-9900K, 64 GB
GTX 1660 TI

In the States, they were sold out before the advertisers could hit the ‘post’ button

1 Like

It is a shame.

Nvidia and AMD can blame it on the Corona Virus, etc

Can’t help but think is is just greed.
Can’t help thinking they saw it coming but didn’t care.
Money, money, money.

1 Like