NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Hi Capt’, it’s getting too much! Must be the hot weather! :rofl:

I think I will wait until tomorrow, (Friday) to install, a new hot-fiix might be out then! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: THERE IS A LINK TO THE NEW HOT-FIX 466.79 DRIVER BELOW

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/176384/en-uk

Download NVIDIA GeForce 466.77 WHQL drivers. This release adds support for GeForce RTX 3070 Ti and No Man’s Sky which introduces NVIDIA DLSS technology. Additionally, this release also provides optimal support for The Persistence, Chivalry 2, Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2, and the new NVIDIA Reflex integrations in War Thunder and Escape from Tarkov

2 Likes

can confirm 466.77 has fixed the blue screens

1 Like

This is rather awkward, I posted the wrong link to the driver! :blush: I have corrected my mistake. I have not had any blue screens with a driver for quite some time. Charles

1 Like

we all make happy little mistakes ~ Bob Ross

1 Like

Ah yes the late Bob Ross. He really got it right, painting landscapes is less stressful than playing with drivers and MSFS 2020. He never had a ‘blue screen’ problem in any of his wonderful shows! Charles.

Tested 466.77 in 3 benchmarks, I’m in the error margin of +1/-1 fps (Horizon Zero Dawn, Heaven & Assassin’s Creed Valhalla). Can’t try tonight in MSFS about smoothness (mainly in VR), tomorrow only.

2 Likes

Hotfix

https://international-gfe.download.nvidia.com/Windows/466.79hf/466.79-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international.hf.exe

2 Likes

Hello CONVEEN. I have provided an Nvidia link for this driver so people can view the download page.
Many thanks to you for this. :smiley: BRGDS. Charles

Please use CONVEENS link above as he was the original poster. You can see it comes from the page I have linked to below. It’s a legitimate link.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5203

• Display may flicker or lose signal when launching a game on an adaptive-sync VRR monitor in multi-monitor configuration when sharing the same display mode [3314055]

I wonder if the Nvidia driver software developers are on commission for every driver they release ??? :rofl:

Guru3d have just posted their link too.

3 Likes

yeah, that’s a lot of hotfix nowadays :upside_down_face:

But the one which impact SteamVR users (not my case) is not fixed, not even sure it’s from them if I read well:

[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]

A lot of persons have monitoring tools without even knowing it. It could be Afterburner, a GPU proprietary one (E.g. Gigabyte Aorus), Led programs depending GPU load, etc.

2 Likes

That’s why I reckon the Nvidia software developers are paid by commission these days! Charles

2 Likes

I don’t pretend to have any kind of handle on the intricacies of coding graphics drivers, but it really seems to me that Nvidia’s drivers have become too bloated with extraneous ■■■■.

I’ve always even wondered about the “game ready” concept. I would think the function of a driver is to expose a standard set of API’s to control the low level card functions, and it should be up to the game developer to code to them correctly. Seems like a slippery slope when you end up adding customized code to your driver to support specific games, etc.

And when you get into scenarios where you’re trying to detect and cripple certain kinds of software (e.g. cryptomining) I’m sure nothing could possibly go wrong there…

2 Likes

Hi JWales. You can download a slimmed down version of the driver with the ‘bloat’ removed from this link below. Watch out for the slimmed down, (‘Weight Watchers’ ) hot-fix version to be released from Guru3d. Charles

Thanks for the link. Up to this point I’ve been leery of using these. I recall reading some warnings against using them in the past for whatever reason, but to be honest I haven’t really looked too deeply into them.

I’m guessing that you’ve had success with them and no unforeseen side effects?

Hi Josey Wales. Well there are certainly a lot of ‘outlaws’ out there in the ‘desert’, (big space) of the internet! :rofl: Sorry for that, I could not resist! Guru3d are pretty much a household name in the gaming community.

As the Nvidia Driver Slimming Utility is available to ‘all’, it’s not inconceivable that someone could be/have modified a driver recently or in the past by adding some ‘salt and pepper’ to their effort.
I think it would be unlikely that Guru3d would allow someone to get away with that! There have been slimmed down Nvidia driver versions available from the Guru3d website for quite a long time.

You are probably not talking about malicious activity anyway, easy to assume that though. No, I have never detected anything suspicious with the Guru3d slimmed down version driver. Neither have I heard of any shady, (or other) going’s on from the Guru3d website, (assuming your referring to the modified drivers coming from there?). What were the warnings about? If you think that Guru3d have been allowing corrupted or faulty drivers to be available, I would gather your source information/evidence and let the administrators on the Guru3d website know even if this is something that has allegedly happened in the past. It’s difficult to tell weather you were referring to their website as the source?

‘‘Seems like a slippery slope when you end up adding customized code to your driver to support specific games, etc.’’

Please quote your source that has lead you to this statement. I thought the purpose was just to remove unwanted ‘bloatware’ from the driver. I was not aware this has been happening and this would be a real concern to people if this is true. Of course, one can download the slimming utility and DIY. I will return to the Guru3d forum to find out if that’s what they have been doing.

You are right to be cautious and to mention to us that you recall some warnings even if you can’t remember the details, and to remind us all to always be cautious about downloading unofficial modified software, especially.

Take care :smiley: BRGDS. Charles

I think you are confusing my original post with my post about the Guru3d drivers. I was talking about the actual Nvidia “game ready” drivers with game-specific optimizations.

I don’t really have any specific reasons to avoid the Guru3d stuff other than the standard FUD about security, whether or not any necessary bloat was removed, etc. As I mentioned, I mainly just haven’t ever taken the initiative to look deeper into using them, although now might actually be a good time for me to do so.

1 Like

Hello Josey, thankyou for clarifying. It appears I got into a bit of a ‘fuddle’. ‘Fuddle’, that’s a mix of two words, the last being a muddle! :blush: BRGDS, Charles

1 Like

@TheAviator3506 What does that mean?

2 Likes

Best Regards.

1 Like

Hi FoundHaddock and thank you for helping. I would not like to ‘find’ a Haddock outside on a hot day like today! :grinning: BRGDS. Charles

1 Like

@TheAviator3506 When and how did I help FoundHaddock? Or am I misunderstanding your statement? However, as a resident of Florida, I agree and sympathize with your statement about finding them outdoors…

3 Likes