NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

I looked a the render resolution data in dev mode. 2d did as advertised. VR was the same resolution as before, as were the frames. I was testing and didn’t fly though. Maybe underlying driver changes also. I’ll retry it in VR with flying.

Hmm, apparently Nvidia says VR not supported. I can’t imagine it was a placebo, it literally looked so nice I stayed flying for 90 minutes when I only intended to load it up and see. I will revert back and see if I notice any difference.

So I turned NIS off and it still looks great, no difference.

So, either I’m going mad and it was a placebo or the driver itself has improved something, maybe eliminating the pixelated clouds?

I fly almosty every day and have for the past year, so I’m pretty well atuned to what it looks like, so I think something has improved. Also, as this is supposed to have improved the fps you’d think if it was a placebo I’d have felt improvement there, not in graphics where I wasn’t expecting or looking for any improvent, but I noticed no fps difference.

I’m stumped, but I swear it looks better… :thinking:

Just curious not being confronting, but isn’t this like reducing primary scaling in the game settings?

1 Like

Hm, tried with it on (at 85%) and off, running native at 3440x1440. I did notice degradation in visual quality. Tried again with it off. The most taxing situation and most noticeable visual strenuous situation was the test bed of FBW A320, and ORBX Burbank and night. In the situation with it “On,” the image looked lower res with AA stair stepping artifacts. Using the Nvidia Game FIlter helped a bit though. I had very strange microstutters, not like the ones we’re used to, especially on short final.
With it off, performance was almost the exact same, however, I did notice much more prominent microstuttering on short final. Strange and will require more testing, but it seems promising using this new feature.
In both scenarios I was CPU limited (running a 3090), so it may not be a huge benefit for similar cards. Next I’ll test out 90% to see if a middle ground can be found.

for me it is not selectable, only grayed out

1 Like

Conveen,

Turn it on in the Global Settings first. Try hot-fix version if you are not doing so.

Charles.

Dang. This one sounded so promising. Why is this taking so long to fix???

Hi MetalPlains,

Have you tried removing all the traces of your previous drivers by using DDU? I do not have the ‘checkerboard’ effect with any of the latest drivers. I am posting a link here to the latest DDU from Guru3D. If you have not tried DDU, you might want to give it a go but please remember to set a system restore point. DDU is a registry editor, (removes Nvidia registry entries) and file cleaner. Used DDU at your own discretion, this software could make your problem better or it could make things worse! I have never had any problems when using DDU correctly.

I am using the hot-fix driver and I manually slimmed the driver removing bloat from the driver using CaptLucky8 instructions. See his posting here…

Charles.

1 Like

Turn AA gamma correction off in NVCP

496.84 ‘weight watchers’ driver from Guru3D is now available with bloat removed for you.

Owkee … first flight … BEST driver since 457.30 for me

Sollid performance … 99% of stutters Gone … gained slight FPS

:+1: happy

2 Likes

How does this image scaling work when MSFS is not a true full screen application? Apparently the NIS overlay text should be showing up as green when scaling is active but it’s not.

I’ve set the in-game resolution to 1632x918 which, if I understand correctly, is supposed to be upscaled to 1080p.

It’s noticeably more blurry and clouds are still pixelated:

1 Like

Try using ‘windowed mode’ if not already doing so.

Charles.

Do you see a green NIS label on the top-left when enabling the Overlay Indicator?

No idea what I’m doing wrong but I can’t get this working. Have enabled in Global but left at 100%. Enabled in program and turned it down to 50% just to see what happens. Checked the Overlay Indicator box. In sim I don’t see any label and can’t see any obvious effect in windowed or full screen. Stumped.

Hi Subtotal,

Yes, I see a feint blue ‘NIS’ indicator in the top left corner of the screen when in full-screen mode. In ‘windowed mode’ the ‘NIS’ indicator appears to be hidden by the blue menu bar along the top of the monitor screen. As you know the ‘NIS’ indicator is activated by checking the tick box on the NVCP ‘Global Settings’ page.

The simulator needs to be run in ‘windowed mode’ otherwise everything looks rubbish on my 1080P monitor.

As for OutmodedVoice, I would try leaving the NVCP setting ‘image scaling’ at it’s default setting of 50% and then set a global graphics setting within MSFS to ‘High-End’ and see what happens after re-starting the simulator. If you have pixelated clouds, for some reason setting the simulator to ‘High-End’ and restarting the sim fixes the cloud pixilation on the cloud edges. I found messing around with the settings within the simulator gave me pixelated clouds for the first time today after messing around with my graphics settings. I have not had this problem over the last few driver up-dates. Resetting the sim to ‘High-End’ fixes this cloud edge problem on my simulator. I have no idea why this is happening this way?

Obviously ‘you never get something for nothing’ as the saying goes, I think there are some trade-off’s here using this driver which are going to show ‘more or less’ for some people. The extra performance comes from dialling back your graphics settings within the simulator while using this new driver feature.

I think we will see further improvements with this driver and expect that another will follow shortly.

BRGDS

Charles.

Had this with previous drivers also … any clue how to solve ?

As soon as “transparent “ clouds are generated my GPU goes completely crazy.

When in high at cruise inside a plane no issue. When going tonoutside view and completely cloude below … no issue ( 40 fps )

As soon as high altitude clouds ( more haze ) are generated and i go outside view … within 5 seconds my GPU fan noise is increasing DRAMATICALLY

When going back inside perfect … when the haze goes away … perfect.

Any clue if and how this can be solved ?

The latest drive is a KEEPER though :+1::+1:

1 Like

AppliedPython,

I think in this case, we need to know what hardware/GPU you are using, it sounds like your PC is having a hard time rendering the clouds.

Good that you are positive about the new driver though.

Charles.

Well it is a laptop … GTX 2070 maxQ

So yeah i can imagine it needs to work hard … but ONLY with haze clouds … the rest is perfecto :+1:

I months ago i did not have this issue at all … not that extremely anyway. But probably a SU messed it up or somthing.

Just wondering what is so special on haze ?
On a heavy airport ( EHAM ) with CRJ / A320NX / clouds rain and thunder and online traffic …. NO issue ….

Haze at 38000 ft ( usualy everybody gets good fps that high :grimacing: ) … bingo … laptop lifting of ONLY in outside view ?