NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

The same happened more or less also in my case with the 736. I updated and I started having CTDs at finals. I downgraded (using DDU) and nothing changed… probably it became even worse, since now the sim crashes without prompting any error codes. I will try even some older drivers, but it is becoming really frustrating now. Even the beta didn-t change anything.

1 Like

That sounds like it’s time to look elsewhere for the source. Conflicts with other software, out dated community addons, unstable overclocks etc.

1 Like

I did a clean install of everything, then adding just the PMDG 736. I was able to do one flight (wthout capturing the gameplay), but the second one again crashed (this time I was recording both with shadowplay and the replay tool).
Anyway, I don’t know if it can be the cause, but I just had a crash during which I monitored some parameters. Specifically, I have the paging file enabled and managed by the system, on the same ssd where msfs is installed. During the crash, as usual during the final part of the approach, I saw a jump from 32 GB to 46 GB of the dimension of the paging file, that coincides to the moment of the crash.

Lots of people are having CTD over the last couple of days.

Look at this very active thread:

Constant CTD every flight now - Bug Reports / CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I can’t speak for 10 but with Windows 11 there’s not a problem when you do a custom/clean install of the Nvidia drivers.

2 Likes

I’ve just tried HDR in Win 11 with FS2020. Wow what a difference.

I really want to get an HDR monitor. I’ve never owned one. Currently looking at high-end 4K monitors, but as usual there doesn’t appear to be one with no flaws.

I have a HDR10 capable, and it is really good already indeed. So much better than without HDR.

2 Likes

Don’t rule out an OLED TV. I’m running FS on a 48" OLED LG TV with HDR via HDMI2.1, couldn’t live without it.

3 Likes

LG recently came out with a 48" 4K OLED HDR gaming monitor based on their TV panels; I have to admit it’s tempting though I’m not sure I have the physical space for it. :wink: A 32" of the same kind of panel would be perfect though…

2 Likes

I’m still sitting on my couch to sim (hang over from FS on XBox days). TV is dual purpose. HDR makes a huge difference even in Windows desktop. Can’t fault the LG OLED TV, 4K and a decent size screen makes for less zooming in all the time to see gauges, text labels, PFD details etc.
I probably wouldn’t sim as much if I was chained to a desktop (do enough of that for work!)

2 Likes

I’m running MSFS2020 with max settings on a Win10 I9: 10850k w/ RTX3080 w/ Nvidia 516.94.

I’ve had no issue at all with the PMDG B736. Also VR works flawlessly.

I’m using a 50” Samsung Smart TV running 3846x 2160 resolution.

Running P3Dv5 on max settings causes overheating and CTD .

4 Likes
1 Like

Am I the only one who never uninstalls/cleans old drivers before installing new ones? I just install the new one over the old one (nVidia) and I never had any driver related issues in any game doing that, and I don’t experience CTDs during flights either. None at all.

I’m beginning to wonder if so many people have problems with MSFS just BECAUSE they fiddle around with their drivers so much, with 3rd party cleaning tools screwing up their systems.

Applying all these placebo tweaks just because their brother’s friend’s aunt’s son heard from another guy it works great probably doesn’t help improving things either. :wink:

13 Likes

mainly same for me… For me was never an issue related to MSFS after an nvidia driver update. But issues are possible in general: as example last I remember was where nvidia made Prepare3D while ago unusable ( it not started ).

possible not only around the drivers… OC, or doing some strange settings from click-bait-youtube-videos, let running so called “optimizer tools” , using tools and doing settings without exact experiance what they do ( I say only ProcessLasso ), etc… That may be also the reason why some users never see an CTD, and some have a subscription for getting CTD :rofl:

1 Like

No, I do the same.

As you do not mention the name of any software that you suspect is the cause of so many CTD’s and other problems in MSFS, this is not very helpful! The only tool mentioned in this thread for cleaning Nvidia drivers is DDU. You can find support and discuss your concerns in depth in their forum which you will find here…

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/

Charles

I think you need to re-read his post as you’ve clearly missed Jigsaw’s point.

I tend to agree with Jigsaw - cut out the cocking about and problems seem to go away. Likewise I’ve not had any CTD’s for well over a year now and I just update the driver without all this DDU malarkey. I trust Nvidia to do the right thing more that I do folk in this forum.

1 Like

hmmm… I understood the post relates in that way to the whole gpu-driver topic, that it was like a hint that users should be more carefully with the settings they do. Normaly is no issue with a simple update of the drivers and also some special “cleanup” procedures are normaly not necessary. I assume it was’nt a critism nor somewhat against DDU. At least with that understanding I wrote my answer :slight_smile:

PS: user can like DDU or not. For me, I dont use it… Its to much work, to much risc, not necessary for me… But other users like it.

Nvidia is usually very good at cleaning up after itself so unless you are fairly certain of corruption I would only suggest DDU as a last resort rather than as a routine.

When installing new NV drivers best is to click custom install and then tick the clean install box, the only downside is that all previous settings will be lost (but I really don’t think they are so complicated that you cannot jot them down before you start).

4 Likes