New Nvidia Studio Drivers (not Game-Ready) have dropped! 517.40

After reading this thread and the usual amount of rampant speculation I still lack one critical piece of information:

Can you confirm that the floating trees and artifacts are now gone in DX12 with the new studio driver?

whats the status on release date for Game Ready Driver 517.40? I see nothing in GeForce Experience

The studio driver is working quite well, at least for me, and noticeably smoother than the previous 516.94 in both DX11 and 12, despite the hammering the servers are taking right now.

I don’t believe that the DX12 memory management optimization has been enabled yet though as flying through central London on DX11 shows around 4.5 GB of vram usage, while on DX12 it is still quite high, ~7 GB.

There is nothing wrong with using a Studio driver version, you’re not leaving any performance on the table, especially for long established titles. They are simply tested more rigorously for stability and across a greater number of applications and contain all the fixes and optimizations of previous ‘game ready’ releases.

“Game Ready” drivers (poor title choice really) really just means “ready for the latest game of the week” and they coincide with big new AAA mainstream game releases. They contain last minute (and potentially unstable) optimizations for those new games, and sometimes they are released to correct major or show stopping driver bugs. They don’t go through the same level of overall testing though, and while they might give slightly better performance in other titles they are sometimes less stable (or worse performing) as well. We’ve seen this happen many times before. VR use tends to sort the good drivers from the bad very quickly, since everything is so marginal performance wise in that mode and losses in frame time consistency are dramatically magnified over 2D. That’s why for VR there have been a few ‘magic’ drivers over the past year, and several awful ones.

I recall seeing somewhere though that ManuelG at Nvidia said the next game ready driver was set to coincide with some big new game release at the end of Sept. Not sure what it is, but we may need to wait a week
 or maybe we’ll be surprised with an earlier release, who knows.

7 Likes

Can the studio driver be installed from within the geForce experience?

This. I always use studio drivers, they are the well tested ones. Especially now, as this studio driver seemed to take more time than normal and we heard asobo and nvidia were working together on this issue. I’m going to laugh when in 2 weeks a ‘game ready’ driver comes out, that only lists fixes for the latest click-on-their-heads shooter game, and everyone cries about it

2 Likes

Yes. Click the three dots on the right of the Geforce Experience
screen and click “Studio”.

5 Likes

In the release notes for the Studio Driver 517.40 it states under fixed

“[DX12][Flight Simulator] Potential image corruption [3722516]”

1 Like

Doing that right now. Currently running GRD 512.59.

I have posted the results of my self verification on another topic (DX12 1.27.16 vs 1.27.21) and will let you know.
1.27.16 was faster, but not terribly different.

false info. You are making this up for no reason. Theres no danger to using a studio driver.

1 Like

Simple questions friends. I was on the BETA SU10 with the latest beta 1.27.21.0. Starting Steam at 19:20Z, no updates. NOTHING. I see that SU10 is version 1.27.21.0. I guess this is normal and the final version is exactly the latest version of the beta?

The latest beta IS the final version. Not sure why so many are confused by this. You’re on .21 already so you wouldn’t get an update.

2 Likes

Yes, it is up-to-date.

You can find more details in the following thread, but you don’t have to do anything.

1 Like

Yes they have already said that those on the Beta have the same version as the current live SU10, there is no update for those who were on the last beta.

The one change from previous Beta’s is that you will automatically be enrolled to SU11 beta when it arrives, unless you opt out via the Xbox insider app.

1 Like

Last question. I left the beta version. Since then, STeam no longer wants to synchronize my saves. Synchronization not possible

it’s in the build, it just detects the driver version and disables itself if it’s not the supposed version. it’s as easy as that

1 Like

Mines done that before, what I did was to diable the cloud saves for a couple of days, and when I turned it back on it started working again.

1 Like

Except it’s not quite that simple.

The question I guess many are considering is whether the new Nvidia Studio driver 517.40 will trigger the memory mangement features that gave the good DX12 performance in SU10 beta 1, or if it is looking for a specific Game ready driver. That hasn’t been made clear.

Reading around the forum I would guess the Studio driver is not triggering the improvements as I don’t see anyone claiming they get better performance on the Studio drivers.

I went ahead and installed the Nvidia Studio Driver (yesterday’s update) and DX12 is working perfectly.

Whether or not Nvidia will release a new Game-Ready driver for MSFS SU10 is, at this point, anyone’s guess.

When/If they do, I’ll just unintstall the Studio Driver and go back to my GR one.

1 Like

i didn’t say the studio driver was compatible or not. in the worst case we have to wait another few days for the GR to come out. but the mem optimizations are in the build and just waiting for the right driver version

also, dx12 uses more vram anyways, even with the optimizations. don’t expect dx12 mem usage to be on par with dx11, that’s not gonna happen. even with optimizations i expect 9GB+ VRAM usage. so i would not use dx12 with low vram cards atm with msfs anyways as it will cause massive fps drops. at least with higher settings