New PC build, 13900K + RTX4090, dedicated for VR

I copy movies I own to it so I can watch them on PC. I currently have 8TB as a backup for those and all my other stuff. The really important stuff I burn to BD Disc, so it’s never lost. I am fairly sure they will change that for me if I ask, and I like ASUS as well, as mentioned they won’t have anything till late spring as they are now working on the 4000 Series laptops. I do not want another gamer laptop, it can do it, but it screams from fan noise.

Got all the parts yesterday, assembled it, downloaded all the software and tested MSFS in VR… What a difference with the old setup I had (5900X with a RTX3080 and 32 GB DDR4 on a X570). Set everything on ultra and skipped the OpenXR Toolkit… Smooth… I’m enjoying this.

4 Likes

All - I received this ad yesterday. Links below. The difference is only the video card and 64GB verses 32GB of DDR5 Memory. It has a 3090 instead of the 4090. Will the sim work good at that level. I want to max out the graphics and not have to worry about cooling issues. Will this be successful. The difference in Price is the Video Card, all the rest stays the same. They have a 5% discount, and I am going to try to get a Vet’s discount too.

Here is the link to the page.
1- AmazonSmile: Empowered PC Sentinel Gamer Desktop (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, Intel 24-Core i9-13900KF Processor, 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD + 3TB HDD, AC WiFi, Windows 11 Home) Gaming Tower Computer : Everything Else

2- AmazonSmile: Empowered PC Sentinel Gamer Desktop (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, Intel 24-Core i9-13900KF Processor, 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD + 3TB HDD, AC WiFi, Windows 11 Home) Gaming Tower Computer : Everything Else

I also upgraded recently from a 10900k/3090 to a 13900k/4090 system. I only fly in VR (Varjo Aero) and I can confirm, that the upgrade was definitely worth the money. I see up to 50 fps in VR, ultra settings in the Fenix A 320. Great fun!!

I recently upgraded from a 10900K/3090/G2 system to a 13900K/4090/same G2. It has been well worth it. I enjoyed VR w the earlier machine but the 13900K/4090 has it really performing well and consistently at a frame rate (40s-50s) and level of detail and clarity that I could not come close to before. As w all things MSFS it took a bit of tweaking to get it where it is now. The other day I added a small overclock to the processor and the GPU and am in as close to VR nirvana as a guy without a Varjo Aero can be! If you can afford it, go w the top machine. Oh, one quick note. My 4090 is a Gigabyte OC Gamer and it stays very cool, never coming close to overheating at any sensor point. The 13900 on the other hand… I had to upgrade my AIO liquid cooler from 240mm to 360mm and add a couple of more fans to the case and it can still hit >90C from time to time.

Thank you, Although I normally just shoot for the top of the line for hardware (this position builds into it longevity-moors law you know). I will have to wait for a while, we just had some expensive things done here at the house and it will take me couple of months to build up my money reserve back to present. We are mostly done with the expensive stuff so things will settle. But I was leaning toward the top of the line one just wanted opinions. I do not do VR but have a number of USB addons plugged in all the time, so that one will have enough ports to handle them all. I will add a Blu-Ray burner/player to it, as I back up stuff I do not want to lose, historical family pictures which go back over 100 years.

Don’t know what OP was thinking, but for me 6000 would crash the game occasionally but 5600 has had zero issues

I’m looking at making a new build that is pretty similar in specs; have you been finding that 1000W on the PSU is sufficient when running the sim in VR? (I see some discussions outside of MSFS that 1000W is more than enough for a 13900K/4090 combo, but I don’t think a lot of those non-simmers really know what stressing a gaming system means in comparison…)

1000W is sufficient, but I’m not overclocking, although I think that isn’t an issue.

I can confirm 850W is more than enough for 12900k+4090*. 13900k certainly doesn’t need another 150W.

*plus 2x nvme, 2x ssd, water cooling pump, 8 fans etc. I’ve got a power monitor plug and have honestly never seen the whole thing pull more than 700W from the wall.

1 Like

Yes, 1000W PSU is sufficient for that combo. I have a 13900K and 4090 with a 600W power limit. The most power consumption I’ve seen on my UPS digital readout while gaming is ~800W.

How has it been?