New photogrammetry issues since SU7

First, I love flying into photogrammetry areas. In particular I very much enjoying flying into and out of KPHX. After SU7 I loaded into the gate as I normally do in the FBW 320 at KPHX with photogrammetry on and the sim was stuttering like crazy and never got above about 28 fps. A few days prior, with SU6, I loaded into a similar gate, exact same settings, photogrammetry on, and was getting between 45-50 fps. (see pictures)

Is this a known bug? I didn’t have any issues with photogrammetry before this sim update, but I’ve tried other airports that are surrounded with photogrammmetry and it is the same issue. On the other hand I loaded into other airports, even large ones, (for example, CYYZ, CYVR, KDFW) that are not surrounded by photogrammetry and the frames were about the same as pre SU7. I tried with the CRJ and had the same problem.

I then turned off photogrammetry at KPHX and the whole sim ran smoother… Menus, everything. And frames were back up near 50 again. It’s like photogrammetry is just making the entire sim chug and absolutely hammering the main thread. I can live without photogrammetry for now, but it’s very dissapointing. I do love it and it makes a huge difference on departure and approach for me. Like I said, this is a new problem since SU7.

Anyone else having this issue? I tried the HAGS off, and other things I’ve read to try, but nothing is making a difference. I hope the devs are aware of this and fixing it. It has to be a bug?

I am running an AMD 5900x 3080ti with 32 gb of ram.

Any insights, or confirmation that you’re having the same issues would be great to hear.

Cheers,

Been having photogrammetry performance issue since last year… So I’ve turned it off since then, and I’m happier that way.

I have noticed that in the week following a content update including new cities there are far more complaints about photogrammetry.

My take on it is:
more people do sightseeing around the new cities, maybe more people use MSFS in general and spend more time with the sim due to the new update, so the servers carry more load. Photogrammetry suffers more because compared to the ground textures the amount of data needed is far greater.

Personally I never had big issues but came across an apocalyptic photogrammetry city once or twice

All the more reason why I turned it off. An inaccurate but sharp generic building looks better to me than an accurate but melted buildings.

Otherwise, if I want to fly into accurate buildings, I’ll just buy a payware scenery addon.

I understand that. But in my experience this doesn’t happen too often so I can live with the occasional apocalypse :wink:

That is one thing I will say has improved greatly, loading assembly and done properly at distance so much better than months ago. (your internet connection and distance to servers may give varied experiences)

To me it seems like a bug as ANY airport that is surrounded in photogrammetry results in huge mainthread timings and always frame rates around 25-28 consistently with a lot of stutters and just a very slugglish feel. As soon as I turn off photogrammetry, it goes back to smooth pre SU7 numbers (in my case 45-50). This was never an issue prior to SU7. I’m running gigabit internet also. It’s dissapointing as I actually enjoy flying in and out of photo cities.

2 Likes

I noticed the same at Toronto City Airport. On the ground it’s very sluggish, lot of stuttering, high main thread times. After take off, flying low, much better. Something eats up a lot f time while on the ground.

I noticed too, for example over KBOS. This is new since SU7 release.

Over other airports outside USA, everything is smooth.

I usually find KBOS itself quite smooth, KBVY and that area nasty … and that’s home base :smiley:

1 Like

Wich aircraft do you use?

If I use A320 (FBW, stable or development version) or DC6, the fps drops and the stuttering is terrible.

I’ve uninstalled the sim and everything worked great like pre SU7. Photogrammetry was fine and GPU usage remained high. I then installed the WU’s and boom, the problems came back. I’d load into ANY photogrammetry surrounded airport and I’d have crazy stutters, very low fps, low gpu usage, and high main thread times. I then uninstalled the WU’s, restarted the sim, and the great performance came back. Thus, I have to conclude, at least at this time, that something in 1 of the WU is bugged and causing the issues.

3 Likes

when I’m having the photogrammetry issue, its regardless of plane. C152, FBW320, 787. It’s all the same. Very low gpu usage, high main thread times, low fps. But since uninstalling the World Updates, its back to normal

1 Like

I confirm that, it happends with C172 too.

However uninstall WU don’t change anything, in my case change “Terrain level of detail” to 100 (before was on 200) make a difference.

1 Like

I tried the same… Uninstall all the 6 world update: Normal Perf, same performance as before SU7.
Reinstall all the World Update: Bad perf in photogrametry area near the ground…

1 Like

I’ve been unable to use photogrammetry since SU5 because it makes panning the camera drop FPS to near zero.

I can’t seem to find the forum post, but the thing that seemed to work for some is to reinstall Windows. I’m not doing that.

1 Like

Glad I found this topic. I have the same issue, so I’ll try un-installing the WUs.

You only need to uninstall the Photogrammetry 3D cities of the WUs not the whole package. You can leave USA and Nordics installed. Those have no performance issues. And restart the sim after uninstalling before testing or you may not see a difference.

1 Like