New Propeller | CFD | Soft Body Simulation - Aircraft List

Anyone know if the Carenado Archer 2 uses all the new physics? Can’t see anything on their site…

I think Carenado didn’t use the native physics simulation in any of their airplanes.
They are more visually focused and have a more basic flight model most of the time (from what I have seen in reviews).

2 Likes

That is wrong, all Carenado planes flies really well, like really, they flies accurate to the number and they also feel right. We dont know if they use CFD or not because they are encrypted, but I can tell you their flight model is one of the best. Take the Piper Pa28 Archer, it flies like the real things and is a way better product than any JF Piper Pa28. People just assume to much things about Carenado but they actually release strong product with high value money, just dont expect the electrical system to be fully modeled with circuit breaker, and the engine simulation to include faillure and stufff like that

I just tried comparing the AS1000 172, and the 172 classic “flight_model.cfg” files, and found many changes. A few stood out…then I remembered I have an old backup AS1000 folder, from April 2021.

So I also compared the two versions of the AS1000, and found something interesting:

The values at the top right are the CFD settings, that’s pretty obvious. I now suspect the peach coloured ones to the lower right are the soft body simulation settings.

“Fuselage rigidity”

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model/aerodynamics.htm?rhhlterm=fuselage_rigidity&rhsearch=fuselage_rigidity

This parameter sets the rigidity of the fuselage. If set to -1 then the fuselage will be considered as having “infinite” rigidity, while values greater than 0 will mean that applied forces will affect the airframe.

“Stall_TipAddTwist”

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model/aerodynamics.htm?rhhlterm=Stall_TipAddTwist&rhsearch=Stall_TipAddTwist

Virtual added wing twist to reduce stall at the root of the wing.

Oddly, this one is missing from the latest version, and seems important:

“fuselage_inertia”

This parameter sets the inertia for the fuselage, and works in harmony with the fuselage_rigidity parameter. However, if that parameter is less than or equal to zero, then this parameter will have no effect. Generally you want to set this to 1 to start with then tweak it up or down to get the aircraft behaviour that you require.

Perhaps Asobo decided it was not needed, as the default value is “1”, which might mean that without it being present it is still “1”.

In any case, I edited my script to look for “fuselage_rigidity”, and this is what I found:

foreach ($fm_file in $fm_files) { if (get-content $fm_file | select-string fuselage_rigidity) {Write-Host ($fm_file.FullName.Split("\"))[4]\($fm_file.FullName.Split("\"))[7] -ForegroundColor Red ;get-content $fm_file | select-string fuselage_rigidity}}

asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000 \ Asobo_C172sp_AS1000
fuselage_rigidity = 30
asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000 \ Asobo_C172sp_AS1000_TowPlane
fuselage_rigidity = 30
asobo-aircraft-longitude \ Asobo_Longitude
fuselage_rigidity = -1
microsoft-aircraft-dc3 \ douglas-dc3
fuselage_rigidity = -1

I haven’t updated it in a while, but the WBSim 172 appears to have this enabled also:

wbsim-aircraft-c172sp-classic-172X \ Asobo_C172sp_classic
fuselage_rigidity = 30
wbsim-aircraft-c172sp-classic-172X \ Asobo_C172SP_Classic_Floats
fuselage_rigidity = 30
wbsim-aircraft-c172sp-classic-172X \ Asobo_C172SP_Classic_Skis
fuselage_rigidity = 30

Checking for the other values:

CFD_EnableSimulation = 1
CFD_ReinjectBody = 1
CFD_AirViscosity = 0.05
CFD_AirInCompressibility = 1
CFD_VoxelSizeScale = 1.0
CFD_VoxelNbVoxels = 20.0
CFD_GroundCollisionVoxelOffset = 0

prop_mod_use_modern = 1
prop_mod_use_modern = 1
prop_mod_use_modern = 1

Line for line, those configs appear identical between the 172X, and the Asobo AS1000, so maybe chalk up the WBSim 172X as being NPS, CFD, and SBS enabled also?

2 Likes

Awesome research, thank you very much for sharing!
I guess “fuselage_inertia” merged into the new ‘‘fuselage_rigidity’’.

So we just have to search for fuselage_rigidity and see if there is any number and then we know if the aircraft is using SBS. That makes it much easier, thank you! :smiley:

I’ve added the WBSim 172 because your results are very plausible :slight_smile:

A quick ingame way to see if an aircraft is using the CFD is just to enable the CFD visualization in the menu under Assistance Options > User Experience > Aerodynamic Visualization (CFD)

If you see green lines likes this after enabling it, the developer implemented the CFD simulation, if not then they didn’t.

1 Like

Any number except “-1”, which explicitly disables it.

Yes, it mentions this in the SDK section “Debug Aircraft CFD”.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Developer_Mode/Aircraft_Editor/Debug/Debug_Aircraft_CFD.htm?rhhlterm=CFD&rhsearch=CFD

It also states that if the aircraft model has CFD enabled, it cannot be unticked in the GUI.

2 Likes

Do you know if there is any setup number for adverse yaw in the cfg file?
This could maybe help with the other Aircraft list project :sweat_smile:

I don’t think it’s a discrete value, but rather the emergent property of other settings. There is a thread about adverse yaw, and gliders. Some have it modelled, others not, so it might be another case of comparing files.

Ah, it was a thread you started. :blush:

From the SDK:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/mergedProjects/How_To_Make_An_Aircraft/Contents/Files/Flight_Model/Fine_Tuning.htm?rhhlterm=adverse%20yaw&rhsearch=adverse%20yaw

Adverse Yaw

Adverse yaw is the natural and undesirable tendency for an aircraft to yaw in the opposite direction of a roll.

It is caused by the difference in lift and drag of each wing, and to modify this and create a more realistic simulation you can edit the Aileron Up Drag Coefficient and Aileron Down Drag Coefficient(aileron_up_drag_coef , and aileron_down_drag_coef) values in the Aerodynamics section of the Flight Model tab:

To increase the adverse yaw effect, increase the drag of the down aileron and decrease it for the up aileron.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model/geometry.htm?rhhlterm=adverse%20yaw&rhsearch=adverse%20yaw

wing_dihedral

This is the angle between the wing leading edge and a horizontal line parallel to the ground, as seen when looking at the front of an aircraft. Technically defined as the dihedral angle Lambda , in degrees. The wing dihedral impacts secondary effects such as induced roll and adverse yaw.

4 Likes

A thought: could we add aircraft that have improved ground handling to this list?

After SU10(?) Devs now have the ability to alter friction values (and some other) to reduce weathervaning and the generally poor ground handling. But I see no central list of aircraft that have had this improvement and it’s not always announced: eg the latest build of the SWS Kodiak has been improved, but this wasn’t in the changlog - I know because the dev confirmed the changes with me. The new CJ4 has also been improved.

Would this be a good home for such a list or better in a separate thread?

4 Likes

I can personally vouch that the F-15’s handling is vastly improved since CFD was added.

DC Designs F-15

DC Designs F-14

DC Designs A/V-8B Harrier II

1 Like

CJ Simulations/DC Designs Eurofighter Typhoon
CJ Simulations - Eurofighter Typhoon (MSFS) Changelog : The Spirit of Flight Simulation.

1 Like

SC Designs F-16

There are a few values for that, so they should be easy to pick out.

1 Like

It would be nice to see which Devs have actually implemented changes. Would have a strong bearing on a decision to purchase for me.

1 Like

I think there are four values that were introduced at the same time:

ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed
ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed

These two the speed, in ft/s, at which no crosswind is felt by the aircraft, and the speed that 100% of the crosswind is felt, again in ft/s. Set to -1000 to ensure crosswind is never cancelled out.

1 foot/sec / 1.68781 = knots
1 knot * 1.68781 = feet / sec

ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar

These two influence how resistance the nose wheel, and main gear are to moving sideways.

A quick jig around with the code earlier, for aircraft in the Official folder.

$fm_files = Get-ChildItem -path 'D:\Flight Simulator\Official\OneStore' -Recurse flight_model.cfg

$values = "ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed" , "ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed" , "ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar" , "ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar"

foreach ($fm_file in $fm_files) {
if (get-content $fm_file.Fullname | select-string $values) {
    Write-Host `n
    Write-Host ($fm_file.FullName.Split("\"))[4]\($fm_file.FullName.Split("\"))[7] -ForegroundColor Green
    get-content $fm_file.FullName | select-string $values}
}

asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000 \ Asobo_C172sp_AS1000
ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000

asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000 \ Asobo_C172sp_AS1000_TowPlane

asobo-aircraft-c172sp-classic \ Asobo_C172sp_classic
ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000 // feet per second, default is 80
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000 // feet per second, default is 5
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1.0
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1.0

asobo-aircraft-cj4 \ Asobo_CJ4
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000;
ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000;
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 5.0;
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 5.0;

asobo-aircraft-e330 \ Asobo_E330
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 0.25

asobo-aircraft-longitude \ Asobo_Longitude
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0;
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0;

asobo-aircraft-ls8 \ Asobo_LS8

microsoft-aircraft-dc3 \ douglas-dc3
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = 5 ;default = 5
ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = 80 ;default = 80
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1

I also checked some of my “Community” aircraft, and only found this. I don’t have many installed so there may be many more with these configurations set.

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = 135 // feet per second, default is 80
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = 15 // feet per second, default is 5

1 Like

Nice work. So you can start to see what have it applied and what don’t. Friction values of 5 for the CJ4 and 2 for the Longitude and just 1 for the C172 variants.

I’ll have a look to see what the Kodiak has. Obviously these are value that needs to be ‘tuned’, but it will be interesting to see if a developer has made any use of there variables of not.

1 Like

thank you! Added for CFD

DC Designs:

• AV-8B Harrier II
  • F-14 A/B Tomcat
  • F-15 Eagle

CJ Simulations:

• Eurofighter Typhoon

Only DC Designs F-16, I can’t see any CFD listed in the changelog.

The list got a small redesign and the addition of Realistic Adverse Yaw, I’ve decided to close the seperate thread and merge it into this one and continue right here, since there are (sadly) not many aircraft which are currently having this important feature. So a seperate list is not necessary.

For improved ground handling, I think a seperate list would make more sense, because there will be many aircraft with non of the features listed here, which gonna have an ground handling value change.

5 Likes

Cool - glad the list is getting loooonger! :slight_smile:

Here’s the passage from the F-16 change log w/link:
v0.9.0 - 2022/11/30

• Reflections inside canopy improved

• SNIPER pod added

• Pylon visibility errors corrected

• Exhaust nozzle covers corrected

- Computational Fluid Dynamics added to flight model

1 Like

added iniBuilds Bf 108 Taifun for NPS and CFD.

IniBuilds:
Utilizing the latest in CFD implementation from Microsoft in aspects of flight including the primary flight surfaces, control surfaces and the propeller

I don’t know if they maybe mean the Soft Body Simulation with ‘‘CFD in aspect of primary flight surfaces’’.