New Release: Azurpoly Bede BD-5J

simMarket: AZURPOLY - BEDE BD-5J MSFS

I just bought this and considering the product page doesn’t have many cockpit screenshots, I will post some along with a first-impressions in a bit. About to do a test flight.

4 Likes

I posted a few on the other bd5 thread

Were you able to spawn Cold and Dark with gear down? Cause both attempts to spawn produced belly-landed aircraft.

I dont do cold & dark. Startup checklists never interested me much

1 Like

Got ya. Cause that’s broken. :wink:

Eh… Deeply unsatisfying is what I feel here. So, in this category we have AT Simulations’ CriCri, the YSim Subsonex, and now this… There is also the new Mario Noriega jet but that one is a little bigger. This just isn’t very fun.

GRAPHICS: Eh. Passable? You can see the screenshots. It comes with 5 liveries, all of which I found to be ugly. Pepsi and Bud Light are two of them. The one in screenshots is the default one. The panel is pretty rough-looking. Night lighting is pretty generic - no backlighting on instrument, but rather a generally-illuminated panel. Smoke switch is there but is INOP.

GROUND HANDLING: It’s fine.

FLYING/SYSTEMS: Cold and Dark start is broken - it spawns with gear up and that’s all you can do. So until this is fixed, your only option is to start on the runway. HOW DID THIS MAKE IT PAST INITIAL TESTING? That’s a pretty in-your-face bug! Small checklist is included as a manual - nothing too detailed. It’s 2 pages long, I think. A little twitchy sometimes in the air. Other than that, it flies and CAN do aerobatics. Gear extension seems a tad fast. Takes about 1 second.

SOUNDS: Passable. Switches are really quiet. Startup sounds and in-flight sounds are OK. Shutdown is really loud compared to everything else.

OVERALL: It’s just not a very exciting release to me. Being broken on cold/dark is a bad taste in my mouth. It’s cheap - 11 Euros, but the excellent Mario Noriega jet with deep instruments implementation and a super-detailed manual is 9… so is it a good value? No idea. If you want something super-simple to bounce around in and don’t mind starting on runway with everything running, go for it. The YSim Subsonex is better. CriCri is better. Both look and fly better than this. Would I buy this again? No.

14 Likes

Thanks for the review. Initially it looks promising esp with the relatively low price compared to other aircrafts. I guess I’ll be skipping this one for now.

1 Like

I see that there is a BD5-J (by AzurPoly) available today at SimMarket… has anyone tried it yet?

Ill probably try it later today

Ok, i tried it. It needs a little work, but i think theyre minor things. It is fun to fly, and quite snappy. Im happy the dev didnt feel compelled to put in a GPS like pretty much every other plane in msfs, which is nice.

The first thing thats noticeable is in VR, the head position seems to be really far back, it should be moved forward

Second thing is the gauges have very little contrast to them, think gray on black, so theyre very difficult to read. I fly with a reverb gen 1.2 and dont normally have trouble reading gauges. This wasnt a clarity problem , it was a lack of contrast one. That being said, the glass effect on the gauges is implemented better than some other aircraft ive seen

I haven’t read the performance figures, but the plane seems really hard to slow down when coming in for a landing. I guess that doesnt matter much cuz tye brakes seem to have hand-of-god stopping power. Helps that the plane doesn’t weigh much

I was disappointed in the interior textures . The plane is spartan, as it should be, but it looks very grimy and dirty. I suppose the devs were trying to bake some shadows into the textures, but instead it looks like the plane was used as a chiken coop. Someone who spent hundreds or thousands of hours building one of these (an early mentor of mine was building one, 25-30 years later its only mostly finished .life happens , i guess) is going to take very good care of something they put so much work and money into, it shouldnt look beat up

4 Likes

I’m at work so all I can do is look at the product page, but it looks pretty good, I’ll be picking it up later on. I was hoping they’d include the Bud Light paint and they did not disappoint!

view from default vr recenter point. in person, it seems much further back than it looks on a flat screen

lack of contrast in gauges

it could be head position is correct, but gauges are really not possible to read in the pit as is

I’ve tried the plane for a few hours and can confirm all those minor things and that it’s fun to fly.
(but as it stands now the other microjets available are a better choice)

To add to the info/small problems:
-It has a stock asobo soundset with added original BD5J sounds.
-Missing ICAO info in aircraft.cfg (type designator/manufacturer/model)
-Plane is quite small in the center of the screen in external view so exhaust fx are shown over big part
of the external view
-It has the very small external view analog hud (SU5 bug but this could be worked around by setting
modern hud in cockpit.cfg)
-It has a smoke button that is inop. (would be nice to have working smoke: touching cloud)

Some movies of one of the testpilots can be found here: Redirecting...

2 Likes

https://www.bd5.com/PSBD5Text.htm

additional info
if only the version we had was as cleanly laid out as this, the cockpit would be much more usable

4 Likes

I let it install by its default location but its not showing up, should I have directed it to install to community folder

Yes, thats what the installer instructs you to do

This is the main thing (other than screenshots) that kept me from getting this. While the BD-5 is a unique jet that might give it some appeal, Mario Noriega set an incredibly high bar for small jets and I just don’t see myself hopping out of that one for a while.

3 Likes