New Release: Cessna 172 Skyhawk amphibian

this is a wonderful mod. Looking forward to the engine tuning, prop animation (maybe? :slight_smile: ).

• dcc
1 Like

I could add a variant of the plane with this engine in the same package (although it’s already a mess to publish the 2 flavors from a single sdk build)

I think I’ve just completely forgotten the wheel animations ! :slight_smile:
The prop is already fixed : ready for the 1st update

3 Likes

Amazing!!! Cannot wait.
No worries, most people enjoy the powerful variant. I like it stock and weak. I find it more challenging when a plane is almost too weak to get out of some tricky places. You really have to plan.

I am currently fighting with sounds : I managed to remove the groundy sound when you sea land, but can’t manage to replace it with a splash effect : the best I have is a pertpetual splash when on water ! :slight_smile:

Gears and water rudders will have their own sounds now.

5 Likes

I am lovin’ this mod, I’ve given up on the ICON A5, never could get Altitude setting and Hold to work. Everything is fine as far as I’m concerned. Leaving on wheels from a conventional runway seems to be realistic enough, it does climb like a son-of-a-gun. I’m still working on water landings, seems like it wants to land on cotton candy. Approaching the lake at 50 IAS, full flaps, throttle down, touch water, CRASH. Damaged the aircraft’s structure. I don’t want to reduce the sim’s crash setting, there must be a way to put it in the wet part. Maybe I should land on the beach, wheels down and tippy-toe into the lake? LOL!

I am pretty sure you landed with gear down. The floats have retractable gear :smiley: I did that once, crashed immediately.

1 Like

First thing I do when I leave the runway, gear up. Thanks, anyway. I’m probably just a little too fast, although I don’t know how much slower I can go without stalling…

1 Like

I have landed at any speed from 48 to 70 knots without issues. You really have to trash the plane to crash. A prop strike or something like that. I do not think it is your skill issue, there must be something else. Did you get the latest version of the mod or the previous one? The latest has just been released today and I have not tried it yet.

I have a friend who never flown seaplane in the sim and when he crashed a couple of times, we could not figure out why. Then after a while, he finally realized that instinctively he would lower the gear setting up for a landing just like in any other retractable gear aircraft. :stuck_out_tongue: we had a great laugh.

2 Likes

I don’t have the latest, I’ll go download that. The gear issue was learned the hard way with a few gear up landings with the ICON A5. Today, I was on live weather, fairly gusty winds in the Denver area and the surface seemed pretty choppy. I repeated the process several times, with the wind, against the wind, crosswind. Maybe I could try without live weather and zero wind. A work in progress at the moment.

I really wish Asobo works on the land type with different behaviors (snow, mud, water)
It’s currently all the same. The only way to change it would be to write a complete new flight model through a wasm module. I’m not capable of that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a REALLY strong hunch that the release of Husky will bring a float variant and water physics and effects. I’ll bite my shoe if that does not happen. :stuck_out_tongue: Jorg mentioned that with the Husky there is something special coming to the sim that they do not want to talk about it just yet.

2 Likes

Well if it falls into the store it will be encrypted and not much of it will be reusable as is.

The water physics and effect will be usable for all seaplanes… I hope :wink:

1 Like

Today, latest version, turned off Live Weather, set zero wind, landed (?, watered?..) at 50 KIAS, smooth as silk. I could definitely tell the difference in the surface of the lake. Love the aircraft, a little tippy on land in a taxiway turn, but it’s on stilts.

1 Like

@bagolu …what is the next step with this bird? It is pretty complete already. The ONLY things I can think of are the wheel animation and, not sure if even possible, perhaps less jaggy lines on the liveries? I am not sure if this is a limitation of the resolution or the technique used, the liveries are beautiful, no doubt, but from certain angles, the lines are breaking.
Anyway, I am having tons of fun with the plane. Once again, thank you. :star_struck:

1 Like

You’re a good tester @Severeeno ! I might keep your name for future developpments :slight_smile:

In my todo list I have :

• fix fuel flow (regression from last update)
  • sounds on water : not sure I will suceed :confused:
  • water effects
  • gear indicator on the right float
  • incorporate uwa light mod
  • improve flight model (perpetuous work with incoming WU, SU…)
3 Likes

And you’re right about the liveries, two of them need to be taken care of

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with it as it stands! I am now looking for every patch of water in Colorado that might support landings and takeoffs. Already found a few puddles that don’t… LOL! I’m not sure what is being referred to as ‘gear indicator’ on the floats, I just confirm with External View…

I hope I’m wrong, but, my guess is water physics and effects are planned for next year. I have zero idea why it’s not on the wish list, but, it really needs to get voted up just so it can at least get some visibility. What is on the top 50 wish list is water effects for AI boats. That is planned for release next year. Given that it would be the same effect for aircraft, and why wouldn’t you release water effects and water physics apart from each other, and that it’s already June, my bet is, they’ll do the water physics next year and release water effects and water physics at the same time.

I am pretty sure I was right in saying that water physics and effects are around the corner. Look at the Xbox trailer. We have water effects and looking at the Xcub on floats from Asobo featured in the trailer (yes it is NOT the mod from CarbonProp…he confirmed it is not his work), I am pretty sure Husky will come with floats as well by the end of July.

All good news for all seaplane fans.

2 Likes