New Release: Cessna 172 Skyhawk amphibian

I’ve released a plane mod for Cessna 172 :

This is a plane patch over Asobo’s Skyhawk and adds a new plane to your hangar.
Classic gauges version is supported if you have the plane in your hangar (premium plane)

This plane is the 3rd one from the C172 modified family I’ve started some time ago.
It’s based on an engine,wings and flaps upgrade.

I hope you’ll enjoy it.
PS. Never download this mod on other sites than flightsim.to and rikooo

27 Likes

Just had an hour flight with it. Lovely job. Well done. I do notice there seems to be no sense of prop motion, no change in the prop graphic as rpm is changed. Apart from that, it is a joy to behold in msfs.

2 Likes

The 3d model looks really awesome and I really appreciate the hard work and effort poured into this project. Really well done.

I have commented on the flightsim.to that I would really love to see this bird with stock Cessna 172 amphibian performance as the mod makes the plane really overpowered reaching a top speed of almost 180 knots. The author was kind to explain to me that I can always replace the engine cfg with the stock c172 one, which I did and it made the performance back to the familiar C172 level. However, just changing the engine parameters is surely not enough as weight, drag caused by the floats and probably other things play a role. I am not sure if the author of this aircraft would allow that (if not then discard the rest of this), but is there anyone knowledgeable enough about editing the flight model to make a stock C172 amphibian?

4 Likes

Also just down loaded the mod from .to and have been pleased with my two initial flights. Many thanks. Just one question. How does one spawn to water? I tried to do so in the Vancouver/Seattle area (e.g. Kenmore Lake Union/Lake Washington and YVR float plane terminal) without success. Indeed, at YVR, when I tried to spawn at “Dock 1”, it put me on land beside the float plane area!

1 Like

I can try again, but with standard engine and these specific floats, I updated weight, the plane was taking off and barely reaching 100ft/min

I’ll see to add a variant playing with the weight and performance :wink:

You have to use waterbased airports. There’s not any one of them in the default airports but you can find a lot of them on flightsim.to

I also really like to fly in the Seattle/Vancouver area, very nice place !

I recently flew in a c172r with floats (straight floats, no amphib) and the thing barely passed 85kias at 3000ft and 2400rpm. :wink:
Climb after takeoff@2500rpm was on the 700ft/min mark with temperature around 20C :wink:

There are different drag coefficients in the flight_model.cfg, parasite drag is tied to drag produced near top speed, other drags are tied to lower speeds, I think there is also flaps and gear drag.
In fsdeveloper there should be a detailed explanation.

1 Like

With what kind of engine ?
The mod is currently over powered, not doubt about that, I need to fix it

It was a 172N (not R, my mistake) so it has the 160hp engine :wink:
The R version is 160hp as well.
I’ve looked again the video and cruise speed @3000ft/2400rpm was 80kts IAS with three on board (I’d say 70kg average) and about 25% fuel.

I’ll be very grateful to anyone wanting to create this livery :slight_smile:

Did you take into consideration the weight of the plane without the weight of the landing gear and wheels or you just added the weight of floats? Maybe it is easier to just take the weight of the entire airplane with floats that can be found in POH? The gross weight of Amphibian 172SP is only 100 pounds more than normal 172SP. Those Cessnas reach only a bit over 100kts with floats with a 180hp engine.

thanks for the info ! I’ll adjust that

1 Like

So, the engines.cfg controls the engine, that’s it. If you want to check the flight model (drag, weights, etc), you’re going to want to investigate the flight_model.cfg file.

1 Like

That is why I called someone who knows about those things. I tuned down the engine in the engine cfg which makes the engine power in line with the stock C172 (180hp) but it flies too fast for an amphibian at around 115kts which shows that adjustments to drag, weight, and all that are needed. I could set up correct weights, but I really have no idea about drag and I do not want to experiment without having knowledge about it. I could probably reach the POH numbers like that, but the plane would probably not feel right since I have no experience with the real plane.

Why not? Whatchya gonna do… crash?

As long as you keep backups of each change you make, you should be good to go when something messes up. No better way to learn than to get your hands dirty. I know you’re a pretty smart dude… Dive in! :slight_smile:

The SDK has a pretty good discussion of the flight model and how it works. If you’re not interested, you can skip by the equation stuff… that and the DA62 example are pretty good references.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Introduction%2FIntroduction.htm&rhsearch=flight%20model&ux=search

And, come to think of it, you can compare the float xcub at flightsim.to with the default one, too for ideas.

The problem is not tweaking to reach POH numbers, but reaching believable flight model. I have no idea how it should fly besides the numbers. That is why I usually download only freeware when I see that creators have experience on the real airplane or have someone with experience to test it and give feedback.

1 Like

Lots of YouTube videos out there for that…

Anyway… #justsayin

I do realize it can be daunting.

I think one thing to realize is that a lot of the flight model stuff is in the code, so, if you get the geometry and weights and contact points correct, you’ll get a lot of the way there. Things you’ll need to know are the profile cross-section of the floats for profile drag, and their length for parasite drag. You might be able to neglect the supports, or, find the gear legs and add a little more to those.

But, if that kind of thing isn’t fun to you, I get it, that’s cool. It’s certainly not everybody’s cup of tea.

Edit: Having just read the SDK again, particularly the section on “How to create a flight model”, I’d probably treat the pontoons as external fuel tanks for components.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Samples_And_Tutorials%2FTutorials%2FDefining_A_Flight_Model.htm&rhsearch=flight%20model&rhhlterm=flight%20model%20modelling%20models%20modeled

1 Like

Lots of good ideas. I will give it a go with the flight model if I am able to dig into it and figure everything out. Good suggestion with the Xcub amphibian vs the standard from Bush League Legends.

1 Like

No pressure, but, I know that float planes mean a lot to you.

1 Like

I managed to get it to the stock amphibian performance with 180hp engine and Wipline 2350 amphibian floats (I believe these are the ones modelled?). It is hard to find exact performance for 180hp as more common amphibians have either 160hp 4 cylinder or 215hp 6-cylinder engines.

I adjusted the weight of the floats exchanged with the weight of the fixed-gear which amounted to almost 300 pounds according to the float producer. Max gross weight obviously stay the same, but you can still fly solo with a full tank or 3 passengers and less than half a tank just like in the real one.

I adjusted drag and lift (floats must generate some very small amount of extra lift). As mentioned the parasite drag is related to drag at higher speeds and the other type of drag is at lower speeds. I looked up Xcub float parameters as compared to the fixed gear Xcub and the values were spot on, they got me almost perfectly to POH values for speeds and the climb rate.

From everything I found I got max speeds at max gross weight at around 105knots, max cruise speed @ 2500rpm at around 95kts and economy cruise at 75% at around 88knots. The climb rate is around 550ftm.

The model looks gorgeous, well done Bagolu. The only things that could be improved in the prop
and float wheel animations.

Brilliant effort this, well done. :slightly_smiling_face:

Look forward to seeing how you will fine-tune this.

1 Like