New Release: EA-7 Edgley Optica (ORBX)

Thx for that quote, it’s my best image of this fantastic aircraft, let’s put it here as well, this has the initial version metallic livery,

… but the topic was not mine ! the second big forum topic about the freeware Edgley Optica is this,

I haven’t aquired the payware version yet… but reading the nice replies here, I’ll certainly consider to get it.

Will it be on the Market Place soon ?

1 Like

Oops… thought I linked to the topic itself!

Well, I’ve had a bit of time now to try out the EA-7. Generally a great addition to the sim and the best sight-seeing aircraft so far.

That said, my observations are:

It does have a tendency to roll to the left, more pronounced at lower speeds. Since I have a button assigned to “rudder trim”, I can correct this by applying right rudder trim. (I doubt the actual aircraft actually has rudder trim)

Speaking of trim, the elevator trim seems to be much too slow…to get it “in trim”, I’m either madly spinning the trim wheel on the Logitech panel or mashing the trim button on the yoke 'til my finger turns blue.

My major gripe, however, are the default cockpit views. The main view does not show the full “six pack” which is kind of essential IMHO. The left view shows mostly the pillar and a bit of the scenery and the right view kinda shows the right seat and the fan inlet. The standard default views in every other aircraft may not be perfect, but they are consistent.

I hope I don’t sound overly critical…I thing this is a great model needing some “tweaks”.

2 Likes

My review of this aeroplane:

3 Likes

Great review as always. Just one small comment. I think it is a bit misleading to say the “original version” was a freeware. The freeware was released by a totally different developer and the payware was well into development when freeware was released. Both developers did not even know about each other projects. One has nothing to do with the other.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the comments guys, please do keep them coming.

To answer some of the questions, we are working over the weekend making fixes however the main team are back at work tomorrow (Monday) and will be going over the other points.

Current bug list is:
Sounds
Engine sounds whilst in cockpit have lost the “in-cockpit” volume.
When doors are open, no difference to when closed is broken…
Stall warning make louder.
Cockpit switches sound no longer working.
Missions
Bush Trip mission image Biggin is not showing - resolved
Bush Trip mission pilot/co-pilot but ballast weight not set so warning lights are on - resolved
Checklist
When clicking the eye in checklist for ballast it highlights fuel pump switch - resolved
UI
Hangar and main spec sheet no showing stats - resolved
Animations
Nosewheel no longer rotates when steering
FM
Aircraft banks to left for some people after take off
Fuses
Pulled fuse for navigation, systems turn off as expected. When push back in they do not re-power
Electrical
Panel light stays on with battery and ground power off
Views
Review pre-set cockpit view points and VR zoom

6 Likes

Yes it will be om MSFS Marketplace and has been submitted to MSFS, this process normally takes around 3 weeks and out of our hands.

2 Likes

The ballast system needs to be as indicated on the cockpit reference card.
Also trim trim trim at every phase of flight as per real world flying.

Have you followed my guide for landing with power settings and trim constant adjustments based on speed and angle of approach.

Landing should be made using throttle and trim as per real world, you should be “hands off” until touch down point around 55knts

2 Likes

Fixes are already being work on, please see my update above.

2 Likes

Thanks, be careful with draining tanks individually, you should be monitoring and switching fuel tanks regularly as not to imbalance the aircraft, as per real world.

We’re looking into the crabbing issues as not noticed any issues to date but will be fly testing this week with the wind from the rear.

There are rudder trim tabs but they are set by engineers on the ground prior to flight based on expected conditions. That said you can map rudder trim and aileron trim in-sim and use those if required.

3 Likes

I can’t see who mentioned it but there are no toe brakes, you use the handbrake to apply brakes.
I’ve also seen a few youtube videos of people trying to find the parking brake.

There are two click spot on the handbrake, the rear is for the parking brake and the front is for applying the brakes, as written in the manual.

If you have toe brakes set in-sim they will do the same thing and similarly with parking brake shortcut key P.

If I missed anyone’s comments please reply to this one so I pick them up.
I think I covered everyone so far.

And correct, the freeware version of Optica is nothing to do with us.
We knew there was a version for FSX/P3D but did not know that was being ported to MSFS when we started development, similarly they did not know we had started development of ours. I did explain this in the original thread by the other team and fully support them on them endeavours as we do with all developers.
At the end of the day we all do this for your and our enjoyment (I’ve been flying flight sims since 1989).

There are very noticeable differences with Our Optica; textures, flight model, ballast system, cockpit layout - GPS, starter switch location, sounds, etc. and whilst they have done an excellent job for a freeware product we feel that ours is more a complete true-to-life experience based on the real world data.

You do have a choice and if you are happy flying the freeware version, please continue to do so.

As I said we do support all developers so please do not take my post out of context bashing them as that is completely the opposite, we support them.

Ellie

5 Likes

Thanks for the review, I watched it late last night.

Just to clarify the freeware version is nothing to do with Orbx, if you don’t mind adding that to your video description.

Thanks,
Ellie.

1 Like

Differential toe brakes seem to work, they just aren’t animated in the sim as I guess it doesn’t have them. The left toe brake lifts the parking break though.

1 Like

Whilst that is true, it is essentially a tacit collaboration, in spirit at least, owing to this very magnanimous statement on the D/L page of the freebie one, from its author:

‘Orbx has announced their rendition of the Edgley Optica and released a trailer of their work. I would personally like to congratulate them on their incredible achievement. If you want to splash out on a realistic purchase, please consider supporting them. My “FINAL” update will be coming out soon and I don’t plan on releasing more updates after that due to a viable alternative. As promised, this will forever be a Freeware alternative and the good doggo will always be there to give you company on your sightseeing flights.’

So whilst it isn’t actually the same model, I thought it worthy of making the connection. Not with an intent to mislead anyone, but rather to give a deserved nod to the other developer who showed an admirable amount of class in saying the above. and personally I would recommend anyone gives that D/L page a visit to throw a donation to the guy.

If anyone wants to do that, they can at this link (it’ll cost you £3.70), which is a worthy donation to someone who is that classy in acknowledging competition: Jonx is a MSFS Developer

2 Likes

Nah, it’s just incorrect.

1 Like

I can confirm there is no collaboration whatsoever, tacit or not.
Nor does his post imply any collaboration of any sort.

We are two completely independent developers and the wording you used in your video implies otherwise which is not factual.

Also if you read my post above I have stated numerous times that we support their development as with any other developer.

2 Likes

This thread is about Orbx, not the other dev. Lets advertise other reviews on your videos, in a pointless and inept way

Can I ask is the Pulling to the left, my fault or is there something you guys can recommend or are looking at. No other plane does it, not even the JF Arrow any more.

Any more? I wasn’t aware it had that issue, outside of crosswind.

All planes suffer from the creeping in effects of a crosswind. a force that does not exist, but ramps up as you accelerate. The Arrow was hugely affected by this, more than any other plane I’ve flown in the sim. If you knew what was going to happen you could compensate for it, gradually increasing opposite rudder as you speed builds. Not for torque, but for the increasing strength of the crosswind component that initially starts at 0kts.

I want to do some more crosswind tests with the Optica later, specifically crosswinds from behind, so will look at that aspect again as well.