New Release: FlySimWare's Grumman G-44A Widgeon Seaplane

I bought it today - just looking it over. First flight, it spawned cold and dark. I was able to switch everything on and start it up with no issues at all. It flies very well for a boat. Takeoff, climb out, cruise, approach and energy bleed were all very good on the numbers. It didn’t want to flare for the runway - seemed the elevators’ authority at this point were nil. It could have been me though - I’ll have to give it another couple of goes to see what that was.
Textures except where noted are very good - much much better than FSX naturally - but as a beta there’s room for some improvement.
I liked this model in FSX - it seems I’ll be using it in MSFS quite a bit too.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was maintaining, it flies by the numbers REALLY well. I will not be engaging that autopilot often. It’s too much fun without and doesn’t have a mind of its own. Just a REALLY great plane to fly GA with. Nice views out the windows too. In terms of flare, well… it’s a taildragger. You don’t really want to major flare… just let it settle with a 2-point.

2 Likes

Minor problem, yet, should be easy to be fixed: The row of switches on the ceiling LND Lights, BCN Light etc… have a “click” sound in one direction, but a “cllick click” sound in the other direction.

1 Like

Surprisingly, it steers pretty well on the water using differential power and the rudder pedals. It’ll take some practice to slow it down to dock, though. Very pleased with this bird, and it isn’t finished yet. Can’t wait for Asobo to implement the water effects.

1 Like

That’s because they’re simulating really old switches that probably needs their contacts cleaned, so they need to be switched a couple of times to get them to work…

:wink:

I’m feeling like it’s time to purchase it…

1 Like

Just purchased, flies wonderfully.

1 Like

what kind of basic ap

i just bought this plane is their a poh for it

1 Like

No, it’s still a beta, manual is still being worked on.

kk loving this plane

1 Like

Really good GA aircraft! Glad you enjoy it. It’s one of my favs!

similar story as the Islander, me thinks.
Looks a bit shabby but is a very fun ride.

Gonna give BETA 1.8 a try now.

1 Like

looking good, i will get it when we have watereffects, no fun now with the waterplanes.

1 Like

you cant see water effects from the cockpit so much - maybe if the water is rough and the windscreen gets splashed…

But the plane is flies well, and handles on the ground and in the water pretty well - doesn’t look bad at all and has that vintage, wartime atmosphere to it. Hell - it’s a Grumman fer funs sake

1 Like

Thanks for posting some interior screenshots, she looks much better! I’ll definitely pick this up at the end of the month. In the meantime I’ll keep an eye on the updates too.

1 Like

Love my Widgeon ! just did BGMQ-BGGH lovely docile aircraft and beautiful scenery G44 WIDGEON FS2020 Greenland Hop - YouTube

Update 1.8 is out and all the texture issues have been fixed!

3 Likes

Will the switch-klick-sound issue be fixed by the end of the beta phase?

Have they announced which stores it’ll be in? I’m busy with the DC-6 right now so I’m going to wait until it hits other stores so I can avoid yet another source of update downloads. Hoping for OrbX, but SimMarket would work. (Or Marketplace, so I could hopefully get it in the Xbox version too…)