New Release: MScenery Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

I like orbx, but the downside is their product line seems somewhat stagnant . I dont know if they have trouble attracting devs, or if they take time to curate products , or what. Given the choice, orbx would be my go to. I really prefer buying direct from dev wherever possible , out of respect to the guys making the product when the vendor offers little added value for the cut.of the money they take, but keeping abreast of what gets updated when can quickly become a major chore

Problem is, like it or not, asobo is the face of msfs. I dont know what marketplace is an entity of, nor is it clear theres any separation .

Reminds me of when i first started working at Boeing , and batteries in the 787 had a way of self-incinerating. Nobody knew or cared who made the battery, all they saw is a Boeing aircraft billowing smoke.

Whether its fair or not, similarly asobo bears both its own shortcomings as well as those of the marketplace

I would say caveat emptor rules the roost here, but if you have to go elsewhere for reviews and information , why then come back to marketplace ? Why not buy from a place willing to host.peoples reviews , not a star system that works half the time? If ever?

Stars arent enough , you might give a plane 2 stars cuz its autopilot doesnt work for example, i need to know that cuz in this instance, i never use the autopilot . Or maybe the autopilot is important to me too, and knowing it doesnt work is a major purchase consideration .

Marketplace is a mess and needs fixing

1 Like

Simmarket is going down since a long time. They put some low quality software on their website, and when you buy some of that software, and the “developer” brings no support, and no reply to any problem, Simmarket blames you for choosing that software…

MScenery will not be able to sell that low quailty on Simmarket.

But they can. And DO.

The have no reason not to. Im gonna assume their take is 30%ish, similar as ive seen across other vendors- thats what? 5€ or so for every unit sold? Maybe the vendor doesnt see or quantify damage to reputation , or even care, but they can quantify 5€ on something that cost them nothing to sell. Even if they didnt sell a single unit, they wouldn’t have lost anything . In that case, theres no incentive to be selective about quality

1 Like

Hype is over buying third party aircraft. I literally paid for them all… mainly to see what they’re like in VR… if you fly VR make sure to read to see if its designed for VR otherwise its pointless as some just aren’t clear enough and cannot zoom in. Im looking forward to some good props! Currently fly the TBM.

I was going to mention the A-4E from DCS too. It has probably the more realistic flight model, a high fidelity cockpit and is completly free. And DCS you can play for free to, the caucasus map costs nothing and you get two planes for it.
And not to forget the new DCS Clouds, in my opinion they look even better now than in FS2020.

1 Like

Thank you for brining this latest shovelware to our attention @BostonJeremy77

I hope that in the not too distant future, everyone who is content to either produce shoddy ports of FSX planes, or create their low effort cash ins will move on, or run out of original material to port. I look forward to a time when only new content can be created.

1 Like

Unfortunately , the Caucasus map is showwing its age, but yea- you can fly the a4 in dcs for no cost whatsoever . Additionally , the dcs a4 has been under continual development (iirc, another update is coming shortly )

well, even the marletplace has no “quality control”, see the Bredok 737 and these horrible MSFSScenerybuilders AddOns. Over the years i learned myself to detect such Rip-off AddOns.

Fortunately there are better stores than Marketplace and Simmarket that do quality control:
ORBX, Contrail, Aerosoft, JustFlight, etc…

Looks like it has been updated- i haven’t checked the date, but this was just posted to the dcs group im in.

And the clouds are nice, but what really impressed me was a dawn or dusk mission i flew in the i-16 in very heavy snowfall

The “problem” with ORBX is, that they try to achieve “exclusive” contracts with developers.
So a developer going the ORBX route is only allowed to sell them there. However, there are still some that sell on Simmarket aswell, but they probably had the contracts before ORBX tried to overtake the whole AddOn market by such ORBX exclusive contracts.

I always a bit concerned about such things as exclusive contracts and even if i like the quality of the OBRX self-developed products and the ones they sell as publisher, i dont like to buy from ORBX and IF possible i buy them somewhere else.

I originally planned to test 2.7, but on all videos the clouds look extremely fuzzy, like if I would extremely shortsighted.
The main problem is that there are in the meantime more the 400 posts at the ED forum claiming a severe performance drop in 2.7.
Can you confirm that?

Not sure about that. Cloudsurf Asia Simulations sell their airport and landmark addons via Orbx and via MSFS 2020 Marketplace (and also direct from their own website).

1 Like

If you read my whole post, i said there are some exceptions. But many of them have exclusive contracts.

For me there was no noticable performance drop in 2.7. And I have not the latest hardware I still fly with a GTX1070. For the clouds you can choose the level of detail and on medium I only noticed performance drops during rain or snow.
But with performance drop I mean you have maybe only 40 fps, thats nothing like the performance drops in FS2020 :wink:

Thanx for the info. The latest 2.5 versions were already barely useable for me since I’m getting the same microstutters below 60fps as in MSFS. So 40, or even less, would be a no go for me.
And I don’t want to revert to Aerofly FS2, but it’s soooo smooth.

its really a funny thing about flight sims, ive seen it in msfs and dcs where the same update can have radically different effects on different peoples computers, enough so that sometimes i wonder “are we even playing the same game?”

I have had zero negative effects of going to 2.7, its been a positive experience for me. i fly in VR exclusively. I dont count frames- i never know what my FPS is, just “is this working for me or isnt it”

to caveat that tho, i built my system originally with this in mind: i have an i9-9900, 32g ram, an rtx2070fe, rog maximus XI and a reverb gen 1.2

that system manages to run il2, msfs, or dcs beautifully

you could test run 2.7 and if you dont like it, roll back to 2.5.6

Microstutters below 60 fps? Maybe this is related to VSync?
I noticed a huge improvement since a got a gsync monitor. With gsync framerates below 60 feel much smoother than before.