New Release Red Wings Super Constellation

Thanks. The superchargers are on. Reading through the manual a little more, I found the following note:

L-1049 used 115/145 HIGH OCTANE AVGAS in the 50’s and 60’s - TODAY IN MSFS 2020 ONLY OCTANE 100 is
available so performances are not optimized.

Evidently the service ceiling with 100LL is only 12000 Ft AMSL. Something to bear in mind if you are planning to fly in mountainous areas…as I was :crazy_face:.

Now I just need to figure out my electrical problem.

2 Likes

I hope you like it. I have no regrets with the purchase, but it isn’t the PMDG DC6. Lots of potential though.

1 Like

That is the hope.

The theory is you are not buying the current aircraft - you are paying for the final version from 2022 and getting early access to it while still in development.

I took the leap. Probably won’t get to fly it until tomorrow, though.

Even without flying it yet, I can say it’s almost certainly overpriced. But I’m okay with that - I want them to finish this to the standards they’re clearly hoping to achieve, and that won’t happen if nobody buys the darn thing. If an option on something truly great costs me $50 today… so be it. I’m fortunate enough to be able to throw away that much $ on a potentially failed product. (Not too often… but every now and then doesn’t hurt me that much.) Not to say that I think this is a failed product - from the vid reviews I’ve seen, it’s in perfectly good shape right now, just rough around the edges and missing some bells & whistles. But if it never gets any better, and I paid $50 for something that’s probably worth only $25-30 based on the current market… I’ll live. Don’t cry for me, Argentina…

2 Likes

Not bad, not bad. This is no DC-6 and lots of stuff still isn’t done. Did a quick successful flight from KORD to KMKE and it was fine. I haven’t really even begun to dig into this - didn’t even do a cold and dark start - used the “Ready to Fly” menu setting, and in terms of systems it’s gonna take a while. I probably won’t fly this much until the Auto Flight Engineer is implemented, because the workload for one person is ludicrous, so don’t look for me to post any sort of in-depth review at this point, but it has potential. A lot of work clearly went into this. It’s not as bad as some people said in terms of visuals. It’s not that polished either, but there is hope this will become fun to fly once the AI help in terms of systems and power management comes. Too much to juggle for one guy, honestly.

8 Likes

Have Red Wings posted anywhere a list of the items/systems they are working on to improve it?
TG

RedWing’s website lays out their plans. We are in ‘Phase 2’ of 4.

1 Like

I hope they can figure out a workaround on the Octane issue, because if it’s left to Asobo they may be waiting for a while.

I think they are going to have to…. PMDG seemed to find a satisfactory work around for the DC6.

This is a bug that they’re working on. My workaround temporary solution was to bind “Alternator ON” to Alt-A. It will restore the power. I’ve seen this bug in quite many add-ons so far. A list of currently known bugs can be found from the devs’ Discord channel.

Here’s the last one I did (I accidentally had it unlisted all night, oops) MSFS Super Constellation - YouTube

1 Like

I think we crossed paths over on the Discord channel. Thanks again for your help.
Looking at the bug list, it seems my FPS issue is linked to the super-chargers being on.

1 Like

I’m expecting also other Connie owners than myself to bump into this anyway so why not leave this here… it was found out today that having the Connie installed in your Community folder seems to override default avionics and to break them. The bug has been reported to the developers. Edit: The devs are now working on the bug.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, the Project Plan detail was very helpful.
It may have been in there & I missed it, but is there an intention to have a ‘live’ Flight Engineer in the ‘PMDG DC-6’ sense.
ie, specific tasks can be assigned to a FE during different phases of a flight & the FE will take care of them?
TG

1 Like

Yes indeed… the AI FE and Co-Pilot are slated for Phase 3. It looks like they are only 10% complete with the AI features, so I’m guessing it will be awhile before we see it.

2 Likes

If only Asobo had shared cockpit features in MSFS. How cool would it be to fly this with one or two friends and not even need an AI FE?

5 Likes

Well that’s an interesting problem. I wonder how PMDG got around it, and whether Red Wing can do the same.

I read some posts on the RedWing Discord channel (am I the only one who doesn’t like Discord? - it seems such a mess compared to a forum). One user was confused as to why people were complaining that they couldn’t get above 12000ft because he had taken it up to 27000ft with no difficulty. It turns out that you have to lean the mixtures a lot when at altitude…almost to cut out. I had leaned the mixtures a bit but not to that extent. Anyway, if you carefully lean the mixtures, the Connie climbs very well…superchargers are not even required.

This means that the aircraft can be flown over most mountain ranges. It also means that the bug where the fps bogs down after the superchargers are engaged can be worked around…ie don’t use them. I think RedWing have some work to do with the engine simulation though. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You’re not the only one who isn’t a huge fan of Discord. It is what it is. I don’t like the inability to drill down to specific topics easily. But it is what it is.

With the leaning solution – I don’t think that would happen in reality with lower-octane fuel in a given engine. Octane level just tells you how resistant to ignition-by-compression a given fuel is. Low octane fuel in a high-compression engine will lead to premature ignition in the cylinders (= engine knock), and thereby reduce the overall horsepower the engine can put out. That should apply as a function of manifold pressure, not the mixture – a high-compression engine with low octane fuel will always run inefficiently no matter what the circumstances. But I’m not an engine tech, so what do I know? :slight_smile:

More than me it seems ;). I never really looked into fuel beyond ‘high octane results in more power’. How it results in more power I just put down to ‘PFM’ . :wink: