New release: SwissMilSim Morane D-3801 MSFS

I’ve been following this for quite some time and it released today:

simMarket: SWISSMILSIM - MORANE D-3801 MSFS

Not much in the way of a feature list, no videos and the price is on the higher end. Install size is quite small as well. I’m curious if anyone here will pick it up. Note that I’m pretty sure it has at least a few fully 2D gauges.

Here is the same aircraft from FSX which might give some idea of the aircraft (not clear what all has changed in this version and despite the product description saying there’s an updated manual on their website, I found no such thing) PMS 1 - Flight N°3 - Axalp - YouTube

I sent a message to the developer asking for more information but here are my main questions about this addon in case anyone who picks it up can answer before the dev does.

• Are the sounds legacy or Wwise?
    • Are the internal sounds when using instruments?
    • Is there sound attenuation (engine louder if canopy/windows are opened?)
  • Are any gauges/instruments 2D?
  • How many liveries ship with it?
  • Is there a paintkit?
1 Like

Doesn’t help that the images in SimMarket for the product are quite small. There’s some higher res pics on the devs website though MSFS World Update VI – Morane – SwissMilSim
Looks like a lot of 2D stuff in the cockpit screenshots. Maybe the flight modelling is superb but I’m gonna pass on this as it seems way overpriced for an FSX portover job.

3 Likes

I was glad to see that the dev says that the sound was redone through Wwise using original audio, there is an opening canopy with sound attenuation: “The sound of the Morane is an original sound, as it was the case under FSX then under P3D…! It has been recreated with Wwise from Audiokinetic, according to the new MSFS standard created by Asobo. Indeed, the canopy opens, and the engine sound is influenced by the open or closed canopy…”

Looks pretty unimpressive for a 35,-€ plane

simMarket: SWISSMILSIM - MORANE D-3801 MSFS

Does anyone know anything about this developer? I am gonna wait and see on this one.
187 MB seems a bit on the light side for the download. I don’t know if this includes its own sounds? WWise? If not, at 29 Euros a bit on the pricier side for a basic P3D port? No videos on the page unfortunately. It would be nice to know some more details about this product.

Some duplicate threads were consolidated.

1 Like

Another prop… yaaaaay

35€ for a 2d legacy aircraft ? It’s a pass
I’m tired of all these devs,releasing something expensive and ugly,with the message"it will be updated in the future…" No ! Make it proper,and then i will buy it.

9 Likes

totally agree, a big pass for now.

1 Like

I just purchased and flew the aircraft. I have to say, I’m more impressed than I expected to be. There are obvious drawbacks. Though Carenado price, you’re certainly not getting Carenado visuals here. But as every virtual pilot knows, at the end of the day the visuals (though important) do not matter as much as the flight model and systems simulation.

For flight modeling, this thing feels solid. Perhaps a bit too solid, but it will stall (it will not spin in my tests, but I didn’t try everything.) Loops are very satisfying and stable. The rudder feels limited and at full deflection just kind of hits a wall. I’m not sure how accurate that is, but with aileron compensation you have nothing to fear from really stepping on the rudder.

Engine sounds are fairly good inside, not so great outside. They aren’t bad, they’re just too quiet. The sounds are indeed attenuated when closing the canopy. The engines are quite menacing at full RPM, you do get the feeling of being in a WWII interceptor. The aircraft is quite happy to climb and has a service ceiling of over 40,000ft thanks to the oxygen tank (which is operable.)

Some unique elements: The air pressure and oxygen can both be refilled on the ground with a simple click, but it takes some time to refill. The warmup procedure also feels very true to life because it takes some time (5 minutes per checklists) for all of the temperatures to settle, or namely oil temp.

Interior lighting is unique and quite lovely as there is a UV lamp that swivels into place and regular panel (not instrument) lights. Combined they create a truly unique and lovely night flying experience.

Systems wise, there is not as much depth as I would have hoped. The radio which can be powered via the 4 way battery+dyno switch appears to be fully inop and furthermore, pretty much just a 2d image with some bezels. All weapon systems are inop, which didn’t surprise me but it would also be nice to have something modeled there for the non-Marketplace version (if there is to be one.)

There are some but not many interior sounds. Essentials such as opening and closing the canopy, gear and flaps have sounds but many other elements such as switches and levers do not.

Would I recommend this? It’s hard to say. I would recommend it to someone interested in WWII fighters and/or Swiss and French military history. I would recommend it for vintage aviation enthusiasts but not those expecting full systems depth such as authentic vintage radio emulation. I would not recommend it for someone to whom visuals are paramount. I would not recommend it to a super casual flier for that same reason. Overall, if you’re anything like me you’ll likely find something to enjoy in this addon.

Bugs: I only found one bug which is a texture artifact. Near the fuel lever handles there’s a duplicated texture of a good chunk of the panel which kind of funny once you see it but also the type of bug you’d expect a developer to catch and fix before release.

I streamed this aircraft for about an hour and a half here: Morane-Saulnier D.3801 for MSFS - live first impressions - YouTube

Apologies that I’m practically screaming into the mic for the first bit, I had no idea my levels were up that high :laughing: I also had the sound off for the engine start, but caught it so keep watching to hear that. Startup proper is at 35:45 ish.

The texture bug I referred to: image

4 Likes

Finally one of my favorite planes made it to MSFS2020! In my opinion, the Morane has one of the best flight models in his category, created by a small group of aviation enthusiasts. Sadly the visuals, mainly in the cockpit, didn’t get the expected upgrade.
As LostBoii1103 mentionned in his good review, the rudder deflection seems to be limited which affects also the ground handling (nearly impossible to control for me).
And sometimes there is a ghost pilot appearing in the cockpit producing some serious texture flickering. Not a big deal, switching to external view and back corrects the problem.
It is a pleasure to fly the Morane in MSFS2020. This plane has a real potential. Overall, Swissmilsim did a good job in my eyes. But I expect some visual updating and bug correction to meet the standards in this price category.
Edit: Here is a picture of the “ghost pilot”:

1 Like

Sadly, this will be a pass for me, for now.

I’m so in based on @LostBoii1103’s report. I’ll take a single imperfect rare WW2 fighter over a dozen pixel-perfect Yet Another Pipers any day.

Thank you for the thorough writeup. Excellent job.

The UV lamp that swivels into place sounds interesting, I’d not heard of that before. Thank you for including a pic of it. Also, in general, the choice of pics is great.

Super job all around. Thanks again.

1 Like

Has this aircraft been updated much, if at all, from when it released till now? As I see it has just arrived on the Marketplace.

I don’t think it’s seen any substantial updates other than some small fixes. It still has several 2D instruments which breaks immersion, but I definitely think its flight model is excellent, enough that I feel I can overlook its shortcomings. For the price though, it’s definitely something to consider.

1 Like

I had this plane in FSX and the VC looks the same. So, no changes there. As with the FSX-version, it is recommended to follow the checklist. Otherwise the engine won’t start or fail during take off (happend to me). Unlocking the tail wheel is just like AH’s P-51D: push the stick forward. Taking off: don’t firewall the engine or the plane will turn left (on the ground) or rolls to the left (in the air).