New Rig with RTX 3090 and Reverb G2 need settings advice

It would be great if someone could show a video comparison between motion projection on and motion projection off. Perhaps comparing apples to oranges, but if you have 100 OXR rendering set with motion projection off, and 70 OXR rendering set with motion projection on, assuming the same settings in MSFS, which one results in a smoother/clearer experience?

It will be really hard to reproduce the effect on screen as you will only see the effect in the VR headset. There is only one way to figure out if you need it or not. Try to disable it and do a flight. If you are getting anywhere between 30-40 fps, and you are not getting motion sickness, you will not need it. If you enable it, your system will limit the fps to a reprojectable fps (30 for either 90Hz or 20 for 60hz depending on what you set your refresh rate in the WMR settings by injecting 2 extra frames in between your frames). This is also possible by doubling 45 and 30 respectably. The downside is that you get these smearing effect most noticeable in the cockpit and the propellers. The improvement is not very noticeable if you are not sensitive to motion or your eyes can endure little micro stutters. With the 3090 you should be able to achieve a very smooth fps using 80 in the OXR and 100 in the sim render scale. I disabled reprojection as I am able to get better visual with my 6800XT with consistent 30-35 fps. I get more strain from the smearing effect of the reprojection, but the effect will vary from person to person.

Thanks. I noticed three settings: enable, automatic, disable. I’ve been using disabled and so tried automatic this evening. In automatic after 20 minutes I felt a bit nauseated. The graphic quality was slightly better but there were more micro stutters. I went back to disabled and flew for an hour with no ill effects. I increased AA to 8x from 4x and increased clouds to high. I played around with the terrain detail and objects detail and cranked them up to 200 just to see the effects. Surprisingly, cranking up that high in those settings had minimal impact on FPS. However, when I increased reflections and ambient occlusion up, those seemed to have the biggest impact to fps for my laptop system (i7-10875@5Ghz/32GBDDR/2080 Super GPU/2TB SSD). I flew the TBM 930 each time around a city with photogammetry.

I wanted to share my VR settings experience. I’ve read all of the posts on this forum, some on Reddit and watched many of the YouTube videos of VR Flight Sim guy and a few others.

My hardware setup: i9, 3090, 64gb, ssd
My software setup:
NVidia control panel defaults except for 3D pre-rendered frames set to 1 and driver 457.3
Windows Game mode off, hardware accelerated graphics off
WMR set to 60hz (will explain my reason more below)
OpenXR Developer set at custom 100 render scale, no open Xr preview and motion reprojection disabled.
MSFS graphics set to mix of high and medium and 4K (for 2D), and then for VR set to 100 render
Flight around downtown Chicago, mid day, no real time weather, no real time traffic
Getting 40-45 FPS using MSFS Developer mode toolbar/graph

I tried to toggle the various combinations of 90hz, motion reprojection and OpenXR preview mode, leaving all the other stuff above alone to try and gauge what effects the OpenXR and WMR would have by themselves. I left the render scale in game alone and also the custom render scale open Xr alone as I wanted to see the impacts on FPS and visual comfort and clarity of just the motion reprojection and headset 60/90hz choice.

To my surprise I had the smoothest and most clear visuals (in cockpit and outside) using the 60hz headset setting in WMR (no motion reprojection and no open Xr preview). It was more comfortable visually and with the best clarity I’ve had. Note that when I first was in WMR and set the G2 to 60hz in the Cliff House I had the flickering effect that is terrible for most folks and that’s why I never tried it in the game. But reading the post above where someone said “try it in game” made sense to me as one last thing to try and improve the studdering and lack of clarity. I am able to leave the sim graphics settings higher using the 60hz and get good frame rates with no noticeable studder like I was getting at 90hz (motion reprojection which looked terrible on or off to me when using 90hz…at 60 hz it was better but still not as smooth as totally off at 60hz).

Try it and perhaps it might work for your setup and.or preference. I’ll keep flying with this setup for a while and report back on anything else meaningful.

Oh, I too suffered the performance drop problem that hit with the Sim update 3 from a few days ago. Flying along at 45fps no problem and then suddenly tanks to <20 with cpu spike. I stopped the flight, cleared the rolling 8gb data cache, reset the rolling cache size up to 32gb and that has fixed the problem at least for now. I suspect it will come back but it worked for the next short flight at least and will see if it tanks again and log a ticket if so.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. We have similar rigs. The only difference is my 3080. I use the same settings you do and have similar performance. My FPS is lower - around 30 to 35. But the images are clear and sharp with no issues in 2d and only occasional stutter in VR.

I haven’t done anything with the cache as you describe. In fact, I haven’t paid any attention to it at all. Your description suggests its function is maybe to store frames or data so in high computation times it can offer data smoothly to avoid stutters and such. Am I anywhere close to describing the purpose? Is the Data Cache and the Rolling Cache two different things?

Sorry the data cache and rolling cache are the same thing, I should have said rolling cache. I’ve read that it is supposed to help speed things up when you fly in areas you’ve been to before as it can pull data from your SSD and not have to stream it over the internet. But some users leave it off entirely and other have it on, and both sets of users appear to be suffering the performance problems after this recent Sim Update. I will fly more with mine set to 32GB and see if the performance drop happens again after a while (it worked last night for maybe an hour no problem before I shut down for the night) and if so will keep trying the delete/re-set cache thing…but I suspect that is treating a symptom and not treating the root cause of the problem.

Thanks. My HP Reverb G2 mixed reality portal is set to 90hz. I will give 60hz a shot. It seems like the 3090 guys took the biggest hit with the latest update 3. Not sure why since there is so much overhead and horsepower compared to my 2080 Super. I had to dial my terrain object detail (LOD) down to 95. The area I could see some sort of memory grab was in the cockpit when moving the mouse around, it “felt” laggier or slower, hard to explain. The flying was smooth though. I fly TBM 930 exclusively in/out of smaller airports and regionals. I try to avoid most Class B airspace and therefore major metro areas.

1 Like

I have an Alienware 3090 setup and copied @ornaryox 's settings and able to get 30-35 fps which is amazing. The only thing I’m running into is that framerate would drop to 14-20 fps for a couple of minutes before it smooths out again and then repeats. Anyone has this happened to them and found a fix? Thanks in advance!

Happens almost to everyone after update su3…

I have the 3080. I occasionally experience what you describe. It mostly happens in big city flying. It is a random event for me. I will shut down MSFS and Steam and restart and things generally get better. I have no explanation for it. I wonder whether the internet connection could be a consideration. I don’t have a good sense of the degree smooth flying depends on a stable download speed but would suspect it is not trivial…

@tempestornado23 mentioned “cleared the rolling 8gb data cache, reset the rolling cache size up to 32gb”. I tried that and it seemed to work for me. Hopefully it stays that way.

I tried tempesttornado’s 90Hz to 60Hz recommendation. While it appeared that clarity improved, I could at times “sense” flickering…a bit more jittery perhaps almost like motion reprojection was on but not as bad. I have no doubt it works for tempest with his rig. When I receive my upgraded new rig with the 3090 and 128GB DDR 4 3200Mhz, I will reattack the settings tempest recommends. Thanks!

Hello, i have read your post an have a question about it : Does the custom render scale drom OXR not ovveride the setting in FS SIM ? Whats the difference between the setting 65 in OXR and the setrting 65 into the SIM ? Thank you for a little explanation :slight_smile:

You are right they work together to some extent and most testing by users here of the various combinations of in-game and oxr render scale show: the in game render has a larger impact on the external view outside whereas the oxr render has a larger impact on how clear the in cockpit gauges are…but all of that is very dependent on your hardware so there doesn’t appear to be any one answer for everyone. So try them and set them where you prefer for your hardware and desired clarity. There are a few long posts on here in the VR subsection from users who have done extensive testing and they are a good read to see and learn (I’ll find the links and revert). VR is very new for MSFS and not at all optimized yet in terms of the various things that have to play nice together (WMR, the headset firmware, MSFS) across so many combinations of hardware out there. Here’s one helpful thread with a ton of great intel. My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

2 Likes

Thank you for your clarification and for the link to the post :slight_smile: . I’ll check out those settings and see what is the best match for me. As you said, FS2020 is in its „child shoes“ we would say in german and the optimation would go one. Especially the VR need improvement so the high end cards can used with the full potential. Mine is a 3090 with a 9900k and struggle with mid 20 fps on ground. Flying is possible because I’m using only airliner but on ground and side view it begann to stuttering.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.