New top gun trailer leaves me exicted but uncertain for msfs top gun expansion

They’ve added missiles? I find that unlikely

Bomb and missile carts are in the SDK now. Open it up and have a look.

Why can we not have missiles on planes then?

1 Like

Maybe they’ve told themselves they’re training rounds to get around their aversion to weaponry?

The same excuse could be used for ones attached to a plane though?

Question comes to mind: are you able to release only one missile out of 170 and destroy a target?
AFAIK it’s not an option in MSFS2020.
Don’t get me wrong: I’d like that… but meanwhile I’ll use DCS for combat .

Yes, you, me, & many others. Besides who wants to drive an F/A 18 from the back seat like Cruise does. :expressionless:

I have to agree with this sentiment of this reply- DCS is designed from the ground up as a combat flight simulator - MSFS 2020 is a civil flight simulator - I feel that a combat add-on would pale in comparison to what DCS has to offer

1 Like

I personally have zero interest in combat in MSFS and have virtually never touched the F/A-18 in MSFS. I save the combat stuff for DCS of which I have tons of modules.

1 Like

PSA:

v1 features

• wingtip vortices effect (respect folded wings)
  • leading edge vortices effect
  • vapor cone (sonic barrier)
  • engine exhaust (affected by afterburner)
  • aerobatics smoke (white only, can be toggled by LOGO LIGHT hotkey or cockpit switch on right panel)
  • engine heat appear only on working engines
  • native contrails disabled
v2 features
  • automatic afterburner
  • AOA indicator also activated by tailhook
  • simplified arresting process (tailhook handle, front-right panel)
  • simplified catapult launch process (launchbar switch, front-left panel)
  • dedicated smoke switch
v3 development version
  • animated catapult crew
v4 features
  • Carrier Ops - USS Enterprise is required for catapult work
  • mod separated into additional aircraft
  • two catapult launch modes - simple (anywhere) and procedural (supported aircraft carriers)
  • fuel, lights, aerodynamics fixes
  • visual efects tweaked
  • ILS
v5 features
  • AA radar
  • HUD targets designation
  • combat training mode
v6 features
  • arresting wires
  • catapult crew and jet blast deflector animation triggered when other player using catapult
    doesn’t work relly well - animation may reset even before launch, sometimes animation not trigger at all
v7 features
  • animated canopy
  • external fuel tanks with jettison animation
  • helmet mounted display
  • dynamic heat blur effects (each nozzle and APU)
  • accurate arresting wires animation
  • cockpit pilot model
3 Likes

Bomb carts and other military objects have been in the SDK scenery object library since day one. They weren’t recently added.

The request was for moving aircraft carriers, ones that follow an AI track or something, IOW, you have to land on a moving, pitching deck. It was not for animated aircraft carrier scenery. Hopefully, they’ll eventually have animated carriers, however, IOW, animated, controllable elevators that allow you to go to the hangar deck below. Even better if they include animated catapults… and landing wires?

Certainly modders can created animated objects for the decks and below if Asobo allows users to create landing surfaces a la FSX… Which would also be very useful for helicopter landing pads on buildings.

It’s an Ace Combat joke, lol… But in all seriousness to your question, it depends on the difficulty. I think on Easy mode you can one-hit with a single missile out of the 170 missiles you have in your bay. But the missiles are barely accurate especially if the target is more agile. On normal difficulty you need 2 missiles to shoot down the target. But if you use the higher damage special missiles like the QAAM, you can one-hit your target and it can turn back if it misses the target.

2 Likes

I like being able to fly all kinds of planes in MSFS. I don’t need combat sloppily grafted in (ugh, P3D/Tacpack!), but flying an F-35 or T-1A or F4U is still flying a plane and can be fun without the shooty-shooty stuff. I don’t get the “zero interest in combat planes” crowd as I think being able to fly everything from an ultralight to a P-51 to a Concorde is what makes MSFS exciting.

That said, I’m not expecting much from the Top Gun add-on, given MS’s paranoia about weapons screwing up their ESRB rating. If we get moving carriers (and landable moving ships, to add helipads) and a meatball, I’ll be overjoyed and pleasantly surprised.

4 Likes

what would be cool is if they would make a payware f14 in the marketplace when the movie comes out!!

I would like Asobo create a very large anti aircraft missile site patrolled by unlimited drone protection that could have a range of 1000NM. I could then create a no fly zone for all those in the “zero interest crowd” and those who dislike war games.

1 Like

Couple of thoughts…
A simulation has to kind of make real world sense for a lot of the serious realism crowd. Is a sim pilot going to fly commercial routes with an F-16? Unlikely. So how about military maneuvers? Yeah, lots of people have no desire to play air force. So what do they need an F-16 for other than to go real fast, and again fly in an unrealistic manner?

Then there is the problem that these machines were designed to kill people. Those kill markings under the cockpit are real humans, not Tom cruise splashing red starred bogies. Have you stood next to an active duty bomber and stared at the mission marks? The reality of these planes are immense, and this touches close to a lot of people for many different reasons.

I enjoy some warbird flying and of course I have my historical faves. But honestly the GA and commercial industry is so rich that I’m not going to run out of new challenges any time in the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

I like to fly military aircraft but I have no desire to shoot anything. I want them to look right inside and out, so I very much dislike this marketplace restriction on drawing guns attached to the aircraft, but I don’t plan to use them and have no problem if the trigger is labelled INOP.

I would really like working and moving aircraft carriers with proper takeoff and landing systems as it is a lot of fun and a challenge to learn and practice those skills.

1 Like

Now a collaboration between DCS and Asobo would be something interesting imo. Imagine DCS using the flight simulator engine + photogrammetry and sat data. What type of implications that might bring up legally etc I don’t know…. But it would be cool.

They could even help each other with flight model work, I really like the feel of DCS.

DC Designs already have a payware F14 in the marketplace including for xbox. I doubt that Asobo would do a better job than the one already there.

2 Likes

Asobo do not understand the flight sim community and have proven this time after time by lack of understanding of items dear to many simmers such as working ATC, working weather and instant replay. To this day those features linger on half baked after 2 years. But hey you got Reno Air Races, and now soon the Top Gun DLC.

I have zero confidence in that this will be a simulator to replace FSX, P3D and Xplane. Take away the photogrammetry and it is not much different than the previous editions…without instant replay etc.

4 Likes