New top gun trailer leaves me exicted but uncertain for msfs top gun expansion

with all the new hype around the new top gun movie and with all of the delays,we finally have a "official trialer"for the movie.The movie certainly looks thrilling and will most likely have you on the edge of your seat.WIth that being said wouldn’t you think if you bring top gun to microsoft flight simulator it would at least have to have some connection with the movie since top gun is a term used for the fighter weapons school.With that being said i feel like the expansion will be a let down and just imagine all the people that go watch the movie top gun with all the dogfights and weapons and everything then just to come home with a simulator that just simulates aircraft carriers.Unless… the top gun expansion could bring back the microsoft combat simulator from back in the day which that could possibly be what the suprise is in june right after the top gun update which would then make the rating change from E to E10+ which is exactly what the microsoft acceleration pack did.I hope they do bring back the combat simulator because i did enjoy it.we already have aircraft carriers on third party websites such as the touching cloud simulations one.I dont understand what the point of the expansion will be since the top gun movie is about dogfighting??I hope that the f18 we already have is just a place holder for the top gun expansion and maybe they will add radar and drop tanks which everyone has been asking for
But this is purely speculation
What are your guys thoughts

1 Like

I don’t feel MSCFS will ever return and the new Top Gun movie will never touch the levels of the original.
I honestly wouldn’t care to see MS/Asobo go that route after seeing how bad of a flop the Reno Air Race DLC was.

6 Likes

I really hope not.

3 Likes

… and I thought it was about sweaty men playing volleyball, riding motorbikes into the sunset and dating their chefs without taking a shower first.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

8 Likes

Thanks it automatically played in my head after reading your post…THANKS ALOT !:unamused::rofl:

1 Like

Top Gun movie is pure Hollywood fantasy. In real life most game players would be bored stiff trying to play a real top gun simulator. Real top gun is 99 percent study and tactics 1 percent firing a missile if you work yourself into a correct solution. MSFS 2020 would degrade itself by trying a top gun addon. You can simulate a top gun scenario already. Two F14’s dogfighting to get a screen shot of the opposition in the middle of their HUD. Not rocket science. Then you will realise how difficult it is just to see your opposition without radar and computers doing all the hard work.

5 Likes

I dunno… ever since I bought and fly the Indiafoxtecho F-35, I couldn’t see older fighter jets the same way again. So I don’t think an official Top Gun expansion for MSFS is that exciting for me anymore.

I probably would be more excited if the F-35 is not available for use… But they beat them to the punch, so I’m sticking with the F-35 myself…

Meanwhile, here I am an Ace Combat fan with 170 missiles on board…

There is no combat in Flight Simulator and I hope there will never be. It’s about flight. The Top Gun expansion will contain only the aircraft. The F/A-18 is already in there, it will only get new paintjobs from the movie, and there’s another (not yet announced) plane which will be included in the simulator. Judging by the first trailer it could be a fantasy plane, not something that actually exists, only in the movie. That said, the only other thing coming could be official support and mechanics for aircraft carriers, take-off and landing. I don’t think there will be any other connection to the movie, it’s mainly just a licensing thing.

4 Likes

Im personally :neutral_face: that MS went down this military combat jet fighter route in the primarily civilian MSFS. We’ve had a Hornet in FSX. Why again? Leave all this stuff to DCS where the Hornets systems and weapon systems can be used and deployed.

I’ve never used it but appreciate many gamers like the Hornet in MSFS and it is a nice way to get around and must be fun flying low and fast.

If MS wanted to go military what they should have done is gone the military TRANSPORT route. So a tie-in with Boeing for a nice C-17 or P-8 Poseidon. With C-17 could have had a random mission generator to fly much needed cargo into tough airfields around the world. Can you imagine multiplayer in the P-8. Two people flying and other players in the back on the consoles dropping sonobuoys hunting a submarine.

Or perhaps with Lockheed for a C-130J. This sort of flying is close to civvies airline flying (specially in high alt cruise) so it lends itself more easily and is a better fit for MSFS.

5 Likes

The Hornet we have is actually part of the Top Gun update. There will not be another one. It is the one. They just released it early (without licensed liveries) so we can use it. Licensed content has to wait until the movie is out.

Not another Hornet obviously, but an entirely different airplane from the upcoming movie (most likely this “experimental airplane” that we see Tom Cruise fly in the trailers, too). Because yes, I also faintly remember Asobo/MS having announced back in the days that there was “more to come” (besides the Hornet + anticipated “Top Gun liveries” + carrier operations).

1 Like

I’m imagining flying the PC-6 and being shot at while ATC is telling me to expedite climb, meanwhile the message boards are arguing about the color of tracer rounds at night vs day.

That reminds me… Can you block a specific player, you don’t see them and they don’t see you, while in multi player mode?

1 Like

Yes, this is the other plane from the trailer. I have no idea what it is, possibly something fantasy.

I don’t mind if it’s something like the Blackbird, like flying at 80000 feet at Mach 3. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Blackbird
Hercules
Osprey
Chinook

Oh my…

There will always be disappointment with the MSFS F-18, because Asobo will never deliver a DCS level combat aircraft or combat environment. Expectations need to be realistic.

We still don’t have moving aircraft carriers in MSFS. if this addon includes them it will be a much appreciated addition.

5 Likes

Not sure why folks would have any real expectations of fighter jets in a civilian sim like MSFS.
Admire the visuals and non functioning weapon layouts/combat systems and just enjoy flying the fighter jets in multiplayer formation in cool liveries anywhere around the entire globe, which DCS isn’t capable of. That’s about it and honestly that’s enough for me for what MSFS is.

Reminds me of the ADF-11F Raven

2 Likes

do you guys seriosly not know what it is?
its the sr 91 aurora

3 Likes

From what I can tell so far this won’t happen.

They’ve already added carrier deck furniture to the SDK object list - cranes, tugs, missiles, chocks.

They’re all conventional objects rather than simobjects which means they’ll only ever be static and can’t be programmed to move.

Maybe they’ll surprise us and the carrier will be a simobject with its own objects integrated, but that’s a bit of a pointer.