New Varjo Aero - Consumer VR Device

Looking pretty sweet!

3 Likes

oh god, I’m in trouble lol… 1990$ US, I hope it is as good as its price !!

1 Like

Well, nothing worth spending that much money to switch from G2 for me.
Especially that I play VR besides MSFS, so I need controllers, so that would bump Aero price way more up (you need Aero 1999 + 2x Base stations 2x149 + controllers 279) to $2576 US + Tax… so yeah.
So back to waiting for Valve new VR or true next gen VR (and GPUs). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m quite happy with my Rift S.
When you’ve been with VR since the DK1 days the current HMDs out right now are the future of clarity you were dreaming of.:rofl:

2 Likes

Really looking forward to some objective reviews of this one…

2 Likes

Looks incredible and its price is pretty much where I’d expect the first consumer Varjo headset to be. Totally unaffordable for the vast majority of people. Whats more interesting is its a glimpse of where consumer VR tech is heading.

3 Likes

Bit the bullet and pre-ordered an Aero. I really only sim with VR (I have a Quest-1 if I want to play any other silly VR games :smile: ) so I don’t really need controllers and a single base station should suffice.

I’ve been happy with the G2 and I know that currently the sim is the limiting factor in the equation… but my hope is that once VR gets some Asobo love, the benefits of the Aero over the G2 will really start to shine.

We’ll find out in a couple months when they start shipping!

5 Likes

I would buy this for the edge to edge clarity,its lenses are the best and one day I imagine other vr manufactures will use them.As it stands Varjo do not ship to my country,they do not support AMD video cards either .Perhaps their next hmd will be more suited to the masses.

1 Like

Big sweet spot doesn’t mean clarity edge-to-edge. Sweet spot means you don’t need to have headset in precise one position on your head so lenses line up with your eyes perfectly.
Also already MRTV told (and showed) that there are some disadvantages of that lenses - some barrel distortion and some color aberration closer to edges. Color aberration minimalization is one of main reasons to use Fresnel lenses.
People often see (wrongly) that Fresnel is inferior and pancake or aspherical lenses are superior. They are different and both solutions have pros and cons.
Seeing that aberration is something what I don’t like, I suspect it is more disturbing than some blur, since G2 don’t have god rays issues, so only thing I can a bit complain is that they are not sharp edge-to-edge (but I suppose that Aero also don’t have it, even though it is probably better), otherwise they don’t have any issues for me.

2 Likes

Yes thankyou for clearing that up.The barrel distortion is possibly over exaggrated .VR flight Sim Guy gave the Aero a very good review.

Grabbed one also. I’m sure (hoping) it will work with the store version. All they mentioned was steam. But with Jorg commenting on it, I’m pretty sure it will.

G2 controllers work with SteamVR, but how about SteamVR tracking? or opinions on best SteamVR tracking controller?

*Update 2021-10-22 Confirmed from Varjo that MSFS stand alone (store version) does work, and there is an option in Base software to switch to OPenXR runtime.

G2 controllers require WMR and G2 heaset (or other WMR headset possibly).
They won’t work with SteamVR tracking, they are working on different principle.

1 Like

Looks awesome but I’m already not that happy with the G2 performance in a 3080 (35-40 fps with tweaked settings) and I bet this thing will tank the FPS a lot. Good sign of things to come though!

The second generation of this with wider FOV running on an rtx 5080 or similar could be absolutely epic!!

5 Likes

They talked about steam during the launch event. But if you watch vrflightsimguy’s video on it he mentions the ability to use both OpenVR as well as OpenXR… not sure if that means WMR compatiblity or not. But even if it does require steam… you can use SteamVR with the windows store version just by changing the OpenXR runtime (though I don’t recommend it because I get much better and more stable performance with WMR and my G2).

Come to think of it, at the end of the launch event they are flying MSFS and the mirror on the TV behind them looks an awful lot like the WMR mirror (both eyes).

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I will have to watch vrflightsimguy’s video again…
I agree, I had tried the Steam runtime a while back, just to see how it worked, and OpenXR is definitely better.
I noticed the mirror as well, but they were circles, unlike the oblong shapes in WMR.

I am willing to sell my TV for a headset like this. But I’ll wait after the Facebook Connect. Not only Facebook might announce a new headset, but also who knows if Valve may follow the tradition of announcing something on the same day!

1 Like

I can’t believe that they chose to support only NVIDIA. I know that AMD’s market share is still dismal compared to NVIDIA, but, this is really disappointing.

1 Like

Yep placed my pre-order today as well.
I already have the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations and Index Controllers so am good to go there. Ironically I had told myself if this headset looked to be a great consumer VR Headset with no subscription and fell between 1500-2000 USD I would likely get one. And there it was.
I am excited too about the support for Open XR, hope it works for this headset in MSFS 2020 like it does for the Reverb. That would be nice and certainly help in performance I would think.

1 Like

Yeah my VR Progression has been:
Rift CV1 - Rift S ( and Quest) - Index - Reverb G2 - Vive Pro 2 - and now upcoming Aero. I told my wife if it is as good as I think it will be, will be a long time before I spend any more money on a VR headset.

1 Like

Mine has been
DK1
DK2
CV1
Vive 1
Samsung Odyssey Plus
Oculus Go
Rift S
Quest 1
Reverb G1
Quest 2