New Zealand legend flyer.... Why the DCH-4?

I know this is a long shot in the dark, to get it changed…
But why did Asobo go for a local legend that has absolutely no relevance to New Zealand aviation and why not had that aircraft for the Australian WU??!!

Is there an opportunity to vote and get Asobo to change it to… I don’t know… Get orbx to do an updated on the PAC-750 and do a original F-24 Fletcher or even the PAC ct12 trainer…
Hell… if modeling is a push, why not Richard Pierce flyer… Arguably the first ever manned flight aircraft…

More relevance to New Zealand’s quite proud aviation scene than something with absolute no relevance in kiwi aviation

3 Likes

For me I applaud the choice of the Caribou as a legendary aircraft that has relevance world wide rather than just New Zealand. Although I have never actually visited Kiwi Land I do most of my sim flying there and would just love to take the Caribou into Mt Cook. I have lived a life IRL aviation and although I had heard of the PAC750 I can’t say that the FU24 Fletcher has ever come to my attention and the Richard Pierce Flyer :thinking: Not a legend for me.

I can understand your frustration in some ways but I am looking forward to getting re-acquainted with my past with the Caribou and trying it out in a new location. I last saw a Caribou in 1968 in Kenya having worked on the old beauty all across East Africa (although I’m sure I remember two abandoned in the desert in Kuwait - I don’t count those).

3 Likes

I had this exact same thought when the caribou was announced “whats that got to do with us”
but then thought i still wont one as have seen at Avalon air show many moons ago.

any Pacific Aerospace (PAC) aircraft would have Gone with New Zealand WU.
I would have loved them to get a CT-4E

1 Like

Just: why they call it the local legend?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: mate, when you are this little country at the end of the world that surprisingly puches above its weight… If you have a stake to claim first manned flight by a good 10 months before the Wright brothers… you will claim that as a legendary flyer​:rofl::rofl:
The DHC is a nice aircraft and would suit some NZ flying, its just got nothing here regarding relevance like it dose with the RAAF and flying missions in PNG where it truly belongs. Also to scuttle that notion that NZ is 60 years behind :flushed: our aviation scene regarding airports is quite surprisingly advanced and basically every airport is paved with almost no “outback” airports like Australia has. Our renowned rural airstrips are more for agri spraying and fert runs that the FU-24 PAC-750 does…

Mate you will love flying nz though!!! What aircraft do you currently have?? A runway 23 approach into Queenstown is a must

1 Like

I also fail to see why this Caribou has been chosen for local legends. Safe Air flew Bristol freighters in the early 60’s to the Chatham Island which looks similar but not really… The Tiger Moth was used for aerial topdressing in the 40’s and 50’s, this seems more appropriate than the DCH 4! Even the Fletcher or Transavia PL-12 Airtruck would suffice.

Don’t know much about this plane to be honest but it does seem to have strong ties to some countries in the region. One theory could possibly be that it was initially intended for WU Australia but didn’t make it then.

I hear what you say and I totally get where you’re coming from but, from a different perspective, the PAC750 and FU24 are aircraft types that are already represented in the sim. Other than perhaps the DC3 do we have a quite big (36pax) STOL capable, freight/pax aeroplane with them big Twin Wasp radials? I think the jury could well be out on an aircraft that ‘may, possibly, perhaps’ :wink: have preceded Wilbur and Orville but if I read correctly, probably airborne for 50 yds and crashed into a hedge. Another contender for the title of first flyer is Bill Frost here in Wales.

I have covered almost every airstrip in South Island, using Queenstown as a hub, flying the BLL Carbon prop XCub locally and the Bonanza G36 for regional trips (eg Queenstown to Nelson). I think my most challenging landings have been Millford Sound, Rwy 11 and Stewart Island, Pudding Hill was interesting too. I am currently exploring North Island, which so far at least, has not presented anything to tighten my grip on the stick. Awesome countryside mate, I truly wish I had visited when I was younger - I would have stayed there for sure. In my time I have walked every mountain range in the UK and Ireland and a couple of big hills in East Africa, but nothing I have seen matches South Island for beauty and variety. Big thanks to MSFS for showing me that.

Final though: a Caribou into Milford Sound would a heck of a challenge, as would mapping my Thrustmaster HOTAS to reverse thrust!

1 Like

As someone who grew up and lives in New Zealand, the local legend decision of the Caribou is so bizarre. I have had the fortune of being involved in aviation since I was born, and a hobby around it formed. Looking at aviation history here, I can not find reference of a Caribou ever being in NZ. The aviation industry here would suit it, but they never made it. We don’t even have many Otters or Beavers here, maybe one or two of each.

Don’t get me wrong I think the Caribou is an awesome aircraft, but it’s not a local legend here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.