Newbie question - Learning to fly beyond the Cesna

Am I correct that in the sim there are no tutorials or guides once you do the initial Cessna 150 flight training. So, if I want to fly other planes, learn how to use all the various instruments for IFR, etc etc I will have to figure out on my own or using resources like this forum?
Thanks very much…

You are correct. YouTube might be your biggest friend here: lots of tutorials on various subjects.

These guides might also get you going:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/guides/new-pilot-help-guides/167

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Most of the aircraft are unflyable…why would you want instructions for planes that are full of bugs and don’t fly properly?

1 Like

More than enough planes are perfectly flyable. I fly the TBM all the time and it works like a charm. So don’t exaggerate. :wink: Getting to know the TBM better will give anyone tons of enjoyment.

7 Likes

complete fabricated hogswallop

6 Likes

I’d suggest the 172 as second step. You can learn a lot about nevigation and AP with that one and it’s pretty smooth and forgiving. I’d let the bonanza for later because it’s a bit more demanding and, if you want to try something bigger go to the 208 grand caravan.
Avoid the biplane and in general tail wheel planes until you get some rudder experience or you are using autorudder (no fun)
That’s my advice (debatable)

3 Likes

I also would recommend the Cessna 172. You will get lots of practice recovering from the horrendous “Kamikaze Death Spin” each time you engage the autopilot. Make sure you take a change of pants with you though.

Another tip: ignore ZealousTen0639 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I never experienced the KDS and nor did many others. Sure, there are bugs, but again, more than enough planes are perfectly flyable: focus on those and enjoy your purchase. Like I do every single day. Best money ever spend when it comes to flight sim. (Imho)

2 Likes

lol! :smiley:

Never had a problem with 172 AP.

3 Likes

post edited for irony

3 Likes

Bring on the “Fanboys”!

If you want to make the next step to complex, retractable-gear aircraft, the Bonanza G36 is really nice with these two mods:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/update-g1000-improved-v2/262603

Ignore the troll; you can enjoy lots of great flights. :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

As everyone has said, no training in the sim, but if you pull out charts, plates, handbooks, and other offline resources, it is possible and extremely enjoyable. I’m all IFR in the C208B and it works like a charm. It’s not one of the big airliners, but i feel like I’m earning my wings as I become more proficient in its operation, I learn something new every day.

1 Like

Be so nice if they made one with floats… :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

Youtube is what you want to be looking at. There are videos on individual planes, navigation, gps systems, flight planning and optimizing the game/windows. With optimizations though keep in mind that you shouldn’t just blindly follow someone elses settings or suggestions. You need to try each setting and test it on YOUR system. Some of them work on my set up, some don’t. And some things that are supposed to be better are worse for me.

As for planes, my go to most of the time is the 172 with gps. After that would be the TBM and that little twin engine Diamond. The citation jet is a little more complicated and there isn’t much info on it on youtube that I could find. And the twin engine beechcraft is a bit more complicated as well, but not much.

The airliners can be pretty complicated and have some issues. I don’t fly them much. I can get in and fly the 747 and land it though. It isn’t broken to the point you can’t use it. It just doesn’t work like it should.

I’m enjoying the Kingair 350i at the moment. Just can’t get wind / weather info on screens :confused:

All planes are “flyable”. The jets do have issues though.

Search for squirrel on youtube. Some excellent starter videos.

Why do some people want to live ?

Clumsy also has a few good instructional videos on YouTube. One of his latest helped understand what is going on with the approach loopback and how to resolve.

2 Likes