Nice new livery for C172 Classic

There are very few nice liveries out there for the C172 classic, so I decided I needed to learn Blender and do one I would really like to fly … here it is, now completed after a pretty steep learning curve. I will explore making it available on flightsim.to in the next 24 hours or so.

32 Likes

Looks beautiful. Keep them coming. Thank you. And don’t forget flightsim.com as well.

1 Like

I can’t see where to upload at flightsim.to, so I will place it on avsim.com and flightsim.com

I really like that paint job. Looking forward to add it to my hangar.

OK - let me put it on DropBox until I get it online at avsim or flightsim - then both of you can download it as soon as I post the link to you … here it is over the NSW coast in Australia

6 Likes

And here is the DropBox link - I will only leave it there for a few hours, as my space is limited - hope you get to download before it disappears! Simply unzip and drop into your Community folder. You can change your registration number in the usual way in the aircraft.cfg file.

2 Likes

Thanks. Looks nice.

1 Like

You should soon be able to find it on flightsim.com - search for the title ‘MSFS Burgundy Livery for C172 Classic’

Thank you. Now I have to get back in the sim, and take her out for a spin.

Make a account on flightsim.to, and than on the upper right, click on your Name and than My Uploads and than on the next page, New Upload.

What an attractive paint job. Got it, thank you. It is great to see some repaints for the classic. After years of flying the A2A 172, I find myself gravitating to this more than the G1000. A project might be to go back decade by decade and represent Cessna 172 colors of each era. A lot of work though. Thanks again.

Yes - in the absence of a paint kit, even using Blender to get a start, this job took several days to get it looking good enough to share. Other liveries from different eras? I may leave that to someone who wants to fly them!!!

1 Like

Nice job.
Did you use Blender for the whole job or a 2D paint program as well ?

Just took her out for a spin.

What a beauty

3 Likes

Glad you like it - I had a lot of ‘fun’ painting it! The end result made it worthwhile though!

And don’t forget you can set up your own registration number in the aircraft.cfg file.

I created the texture design in PhotoShop then used Blender just to get the main pattern in place on the fuselage. I have yet to work out how to go on and do the tail in Blender. So the rest was done using PhotoShop and the UV wireframe files to figure out which parts of the texture apply to which parts of the airframe.

Finally I continued in PhotoShop to align the textures on the tail, and fine tune them all over the aircraft by trial and error.

Ah Ha yes I do understand especially the trial and error … I also use PS, I just wondered if you’d got Blender to do some things I couldn’t :slight_smile:

Probably not - I’m a newbie to Blender! So can you help me figure out how to apply textures to the tail? That would have made it so much easier and less time-consuming!

Sure if I can :slight_smile: what’s the issue ?
You’ve got the UV’s of the tail yes ?

Given the UV’s I’d be straight back to PS.