Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

@AlexE75 has posted a series of screenshots exhibiting the latest WU3 outline/edge bug around objects lying in front of clouds and I find there is some very interesting visual info about the night lighting issues we’re discussing here*.

Some comments:

• It seems to me the halo around light bulb is displaying better than the last time I visited this topic.

• Light intensity attenuation with ambient lighting is really credible, but I believe lights are still too large at night. This is even more disturbing in VR than in 3D.

• Light size still doesn’t decrease with distance and it is making them a nuisance in VR where the most distant ones are creating a soup of light.

I believe if there would be only 1 thing to change first is light size with distance. And this is where these screenshots are really interesting to me because the reflection distortion along the longitudinal axis of the aircraft is showing exactly what would the green lights look like if their size would decrease by distance, vs the white lights on the edges which are not.

I don’t know for you but to me, the varying green light size is much more realistic (and they’ll solve the light soup problem).

*I’m reproducing some of the screenshots here in order to make it easier to follow through but the original link to the topic is found below and worth looking out: you can cycle an entire day time span and see how this affects runway lighting rendering.

Glowing Aircraft - Ugly bright outline on airplanes against clouds - #46 by AlexE75

5 Likes