Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

Thanks… FXAA helped a little. I had Lens Correction off already. I’ll keep experimenting.

1 Like

I feel pretty discouraged and tired of yet another update (sim update 3) and no improvement or whatsoever to night lighting, despite clearly it’s one of the big issues felt by the community.

I don’t know whether others feel the same as I do, but I feel the community (us) start to become “disengaged” with Asobo in regards of night lighting… Maybe a lot of us are tired that we’ve committed ideas, suggestions, time and energy in this huge thread, but lately it seems Asobo won’t even put any priority on this issue (plus all of us have lots going on in our lives, maybe also other upcoming games that we’re anticipating etc).

If we (the community) are really starting to disengage about this issue, Asobo better act quickly… It could be a sign that community interest is wavering.

6 Likes

Go back to earlier posts/threads shortly after release and see the many votes and engagement surrounding issues. That seems to have dried up recently for some reason even though the issues still exist.

1 Like

1440p is not UHD mate

You might want to disable BLOOM as well. It makes a difference to me in VR but I honestly didn’t cross checked in 3D.

With the 10 deg increment bug for which I have posted the exact reasons and solution:
Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained - #298 by CptLucky8

And with the SU3 release notes published yesterday (and this bug still not corrected)

I felt compelled to write this yesterday:

Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0) - #701 by CptLucky8

1 Like

Thanks corrected to QHD

Well there you go… Turns out not only this thread.

If issues not fixed but engagement dried up, could be a variety of reasons… But for devs, this should be a wake up call that the community might start to disengage from your product.

Take our issue for example… 648 voted at the time I write this, underlying the importance the community feel for this issue to be fixed… But the status is “backlog”! We don’t even know when we can expect the next improvement(s) to night lighting, and what sort of improvement will it be!

In the meantime, me personally my engagement to MSFS decreases (as might the others here also, and in other threads) due to discouragement, boredom, less hopeful, couldn’t be bothered etc. Plus something extremely powerful stole my attention away… DCS Apache! (also their marvellous clouds).

5 Likes

have asobo/msfs ever talked about the night lighting being too bright? i flew in to a desert at night yesterday and it was glowing yellow.

the entire world is too lit up at night and you can see the glow of cities for 100s of miles out on a clear day. they need to reduce the glow and fix the individual lighting better.

any idea if this is being looked at?

3 Likes

Until they put some sort of Gamma slider in here, my fix is to use the Nvidia control panel to adjust gamma, you can adjust with the sim open by alt=tabbing. Set a test at night, adjust until it seems right, and when your done flying just turn it back to system settings or whatever in the Nvidia control panel.

Or any other monitor/TV/system tool you have to adjust the gamma. It’s a terrible oversight, any game that involves dark areas / night play should have an in game adjustment to adjust your gamma settings. That’s just basic common sense.

1 Like

Can we manually make the night lighting more realistic using developer mode? Or could anyone produce a mod for nighttime lighting?

Cairo

12 Likes

Amazing :clap:
Would you be able to do an intire country?

This topic is getting really old now since we started it back in October …Unfortunately we haven’t seen any groundbreaking results after two major updates. We started very actively and had our hopes high that once we presented our major concerns over night lighting issues we would start seeing results over time but it got stuck and went into their backlog.
It is known that they have greater issues to deal with now and night lighting is an area which needs to be addressed as a whole…
I am still keeping my hopes high but sometimes I am afraid that at some point we will get used to the fact that this is what we’re gonna have from now on and all these great ideas that we introduced in this topic will just be archived…
I hope that I will be proved wrong.
Just my thoughts over time…

2 Likes

Even though with the current issues (post 1.14.5.0 upgrade performance degradation and LOD loss) this issue seems less urgent, I think we should still keep pressing for a fix as the night lighting is still a long way from where it should be.

I would love to be proven wrong, but honestly I wouldn’t hold my breath to wait for a notable improvement(s) in night lighting to be honest.

But no way we’ll “get used” to this… As we can see, we continuously get users who finally try night flying and they go “what the hell is this??” then off they go to our thread or the “night light blurry” thread.

Night lighting IMO is one of the biggest handicap in MSFS. There are mods to edit trees draw distance etc, but up 'till now, seems that no mod maker can tinker around the night light bulbs so we can’t even have a temporary band-aid solution to this issue.

What also annoys me is that even though we know what night lighting looks like in the current version, they are still showing the jaw dropping pre-release night lighting in the MSFS website (media tab)!

4 Likes

Looks like we are expecting a “long range quality fix” in SU-6…
Not sure what “long range quality” mean.

Visuals at a distance?

Sorry should’ve made it a bit clearer… I mean by “long range fix”, do they want to address / remove the sepia (the one that takes over night bulbs once scenery is far enough)? Or they want to address the oversized / too bright / blurry light bulbs (at far away distance)?

Or will they address all of them? I mean the light bulbs issue affects not only long range, but also medium range, and arguably short range… But then again, what is “short, medium, far” range according to them? night lights 2 miles away considered short, medium or long range by devs?

Night light bulbs are just one of the issue. Building lights from house windows etc also form variety and liveliness or night lights. At the moment, buildings about 1 mile away (CMIIW) already goes down to the lesser LOD and no window lights emanating from it, making everything dark and only street light visible.
Go a bit further away and the tree draw distance stops! So there is no vegetations that can block some lamps.

Really hope Asobo can give us more details about their upcoming night lighting plan in SU-6.

I hope they address the blurry runway lights that are experienced on ultra wide screens when on the approach…

1 Like