Night Lighting ... massive regression, what is going on ASOBO?

In my honest opinion, subsequent patches seem to be dumbing down the sim in certain areas to compensate for other areas graphically and make performance trade offs? is this because of the forthcoming Console release? I would not think so, its impressive beefy spec from what I’ve read so far?

But things are looking worse for sure night light wise in latest patch, much worse.

Night lighting in general now is totally broke, it looked far better in pre alpha vids we all saw, honestly it did.

I’m seeing floating white little blobs easily 100ft or so in air and its very evident in the demo Halloween landing challenge. Never seen this before this patch. Try it if you do not believe me.

Also the whole night lighting thing, its perfect little white blobs that scale terribly into the distance, it looks pretty for sure, but almost at times like FS4 did and wire frame effect at times now, white dots on a black background … I know many here says its perfect and lash out at those that complain, but its not … we accommodate new gamers to the genre here (and they are welcome) who have perhaps not experienced what night flying can realistically do and look like in even P3Dv5 and XP11 and even more so with third party add ons for those sims … what we have here is currently a major step backwards guys, the negative complaints are entirely legitimate IMHO.

Perfect little white dots that scale badly to the horizon that I think are meant to represent street lights? It looks awful, very pretty, but unrealistic and awful :frowning:

Also why do we have country roads lit up with those perfect little white dots the whole route now?, it never used to be like that … Motorways have floodlit roads for sure, but not to the extent we are getting in sim now? Some dual carriageways too, but normal roads … NO, why are they floodlit with these perfectly spaced terrible little white blobs meant to represent street lights so close to each other? They should be in darkness.

Case in point, my Sim test flight is normally from a place in N Scotland, two big RAF bases here, so I normally do a test flight from RAF Kinloss (now ARMY) to RAF Lossimouth in all conditions as part of in realk life, my testing … night lighting here and elsewhere is dreadful now, the roads between these bases are not lit, but its like something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind now with little white blob circles supposedly representing streets lights … even for miles and miles of country or general roads where they do not exist :frowning: I have flown real GA Aircraft from Kinloss flying club at night too, know what our area looks like at night, if the local council had to floodlight all the minor roads as seen just now in FS2020 the local council would be bankrupt in hours footing the electricity bill.

Part of the reason I live up here is for less light pollution for my Astronomy hobby, if it was like this in real life up here I would have to move again.

Current night lighting may look pretty to some, but its not realistic, it was more realistic before. honestly it was … we have an otherwise perfect general lighting sim here … window reflections ETC look good, but unsteady development going off track each new patch perhaps? one step forward, two steps back at times.

I hate to complain, really do, but if we all just gush praise the Devs will never know if they are hitting the right buttons or where to improve or not, so much potential in this sim, but its disheartening to see what looked so good gradually getting dumbed down for reasons unknown.

Lets complain when needed with legit concerns please and do it politely and constructively please, the Devs can take it and will understand.

Sincerely.

14 Likes

I agree, the night lighting is awful and completely immersion breaking.

However i dont doubt that realistic night lighting on a global scale, 2 months into a games life must be a big ask for the team.

Im sure it will improve and will stick to daytime flight until it does.

Aside from that im loving the newest update.

5 Likes

I agree, most motorways should be in complete darkness. Many otherwise rural areas appear to be flooded with highways. Just kill the code and save some processing power, can’t think of a simpler solution than that. C’mon, we have been dragging this problem since pre-alpha days.

1 Like

Like i posted here, all highways have not lights. Some have but not all. That’s a shame to break immersion like this without comparison with night satellite shots.

1 Like

Completely agree. There already has been quite a lot of threads on this issue so I am sure that devs must have taken some feedback. But yes, the night lighting right now gives me X-plane vibes. Such a huge step down from last patch. Looks absolutely terrible.

1 Like

Night lighting is far better.

1 Like

It’s a bit annoying because the bug list said “Terrain emits light”. They fixed that but then they lit up all the roadways like strings of pearls. It’s too much for rural areas.

3 Likes

There are already couple of topics in the bugs section, you can upvote them if you want and send a zendesk.

The best night lighting I’ve seen in a game, is in GTA V. Even heat effect in the distance is present. Then, the XP one looks good for me. And I have to try the new update one; but I bet is better than the sepia mask

Night lightning is much better as it was before this patch. They need to tone and scale down lights in countryside roads (which could be issue , but i think it is manageable)
also they should put some randomness to it.

but one question to the op;

Why are you opening a new thread , when there are already several of them ?

you are not helping , you are simply making mess

1 Like

Can you explain your theory please?

You must be the only one that thinks its good.

More lights = more realistic = more eye candy. Simple-minded approach, we have the same issue regards to weather. Some of us want actual live weather, other people say it works fine because it’s pretty.

1 Like

More lights is a performance indicator. I think it’s reasonable to try to max out an engine’s capabilities before scaling it back to where it should be.

This is in flux and Asobo said themselves that it’s WIP. I’m fairly confident they’ll find the right balance.

I think it’s more realistic (in terms of how dark the ground is) but I agree the night lights are far too uniform. I think it’s not a regression since before it was FAR too bright. It just needs a little tweaking.

2 Likes

Stop it Janyf … I’m as upset at the mess as you are.

When we start dissenting like this and start being all authoritative, having a go at each other, it just becomes easy lock city for admins, its you that is not helping here mate, lay off please.

Also and you agreed with me, that’s pretty hypocritical of you to do that and and then put your oar in to stir the pot to the contrary :frowning:

Lets work together for once to show Asobo we care about this sim and direction its going via negative and positive vibes too, are you going to complain about multiple Positive vibe threads? I guess not.

The Mods will bond this thread with one original one soon, but meanwhile and so soon after this patch that seems to have messed up an awful lot night lighting wise especially, it would help if self appointed mods like you could lay off a bit, please.

There is more at stake here than forum Ego’s. We should be working for the common goal, not against each other.

Thanks.

Agree 100%

I’ve rarely complained here about the sim, honestly, mostly given praise, but feel strongly about how night lighting has regressed since this patch.

No theroy, it just looks far better, maybe check ur hardware, obviously must be poor. flown over 200 hrs in this game from day 1 at it’s far better now.

I think you are having a troll or laugh mate … check “ure” hardware indeed :frowning:

Was on alpha phase then beta test of sim,

My PC hardware is more than adequate.

If you are happy, then that’s fine, perhaps you are the kind of happy base customer Asobo and MS Directors most want to appeal to?

Glad you are happy mate, really am.

1 Like