No clouds improvement

Just that, I find quite dissapointing that, in the trailer, there is no trace of improvements in the clouds rendering.

24 Likes

It is still at least 6 months to 1.5 years away. What we were presented with was what they have to show now. There is nothing that says that it will be that way at release.

5 Likes

That alone is enough to keep me away. I mean the ground looks nice but other than the nice cumulus the sky needs a ton of work. The sky is where you spend the most time, not the ground.

10 Likes

In the trailer you can see the horizon line trough the mountains. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
It’s a normal dlc labeled 2024đŸ€­

11 Likes

Agree with OP, the few clouds we saw in that trailer look the same as in the current version. I hope they will post a Feature Discovery serie dedicated to weather as they did in the past. I also hope they will fix the issues with Live Weather (clouds, layers, METAR integration, thermals, wind, lightings, etc
) and implement new features like turbulence into clouds based on the cloud types. Would be nice to have that in both versions.

6 Likes

I’ve used all my likes up or I would.

I agree, whoever made that promo can only use what’s there now. There must still be tons of coding left to do but Asobo are quite capable of it rather than having to just adapt what was already there.

Have some faith people.

5 Likes

Alot of placebo effect going around after this trailer released

Agree with all the comments. NSFS is an amazing program, but the weather needs a huge overhaul. Most lacking are thunderstorms, which could do with a dedicated release on their own! It would be great to see individual cells flickering away in Florida, or the monsterous Midwest Squall lines. Let’s hope this gets some serious development time.

9 Likes

The only thing I care A LOT about is the live weather. If in FS2024 we have the same ■■■■■■ semi-transparent low-density clouds that we have in FS2020, it won’t be worth it.

This issue of thin clouds in live weather is killing the look of FS2020. If you put a preset similar to the one in live weather, the simulator’s look becomes completely different. A thousand times better.

8 Likes

If it were done, they’d be selling it now.

They said they are working on improving the clouds. They will be improving the clouds and “types” someday. As they noted, the cloud formation is going to be natural based on weather conditions, rather than the old “paste a picture in the sky method”. So, it’s going to take a while. They have a lot of work to do to get the calculations to work properly in a reasonable amount of resource usage.

They’re discussing features of the game here, the really new stuff. I realize you disagree, but, cloud quality is relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme. And, after all, it’s the same graphics engine as 2020. But, just as that graphics engine has evolved over time, it’s going to continue to evolve. And they’ve said, on record, that clouds will be improved in time.

1 Like

Correct. It is very common for Xbox Studios games to evolve and improve after their announcement trailers.

Starfield and Halo Infinite come to mind. Both have seen tremendous improvements in graphical fidelity since their initial gameplay trailers.

There is no reason to think what we saw in the 2024 trailer was a finished build. There is plenty of reason to think it was an unfinished build. And there is no doubt it is built upon and around the base build that is 2020.

2 Likes

The sim is still likely over a year away.

I’m sure what we see is not the final product, if that was the case they would call it 2023 and sell it this fall.

And that was a great example about Starfield, the stuff we saw a year ago was a little worrisome, but the recent showcase proved it has advanced leaps and bounds.

I bet they clouds will last ok much better by the time it’s released.

Let’s all relax and give it some time, heck I’m sure we will learn a TON during FSExpo when Jory has to face his s critics in person.

1 Like

It’s really tiring all this relentlessness. Many are not interested in FS24 but many spend more time criticising the trailer than flying under FS20. Wait! You will judge when FS24 comes out. In the meantime, everything you say, you say without knowing anything. Just assumptions. . It has become tiring to come to this forum. Many are ready to still spend a lot of money on addons for FS20 but not 60 euros for FS24?! While the addons will be compatible. I don’t understand why so much hatred.

2 Likes

It will be sorted by the time 2028 gets released :+1:

I’m all for progress I’m surprised it hasn’t gone to a subscription service yet like so many other things. I’m happy to support the franchise and pay a fee for the upgrade but not got any great expectations given all the issues past and present with 2020.

1 Like

It’s amazing how quickly people have moved from ‘the clouds look amazing’ to ‘the clouds look terrible’. The leap from FSX to MSFS was insane for me. I still am impressed with the clouds to this day. So, I personally find posts like this strange.

3 Likes

Clouds can be really amazing and realistic using custom and presets settings in actual version. I think the main complaint is related to clouds generated in Live weather. It is true they were amazing and realistic (most of the time) at sim launch but unfortunately sustained a regression around SU5/SU7. Now clouds depiction in Live weather is very poor compared to custom or presets clouds and what they used to be. Why such difference if they are using the same engine ?. Data from MB have changed ?, algorithm generating clouds in Live weather has changed ? METAR introduction has impacted clouds depiction in Live weather ?, quality has been lowered to increase sim or servers performances ? we don’t know what happened but from my point of view there is a large gap between clouds rendered in custom weather versus Live weather, they have lost their glory.

6 Likes

Because clouds are perfect, nothing to change. Best clouds compared to any other game hands down.

Here’s why they are not: (among many other aspects)

4 Likes

The clouds in MSFS 2020 aren’t terrible but they’re very basic.

Spend a little time outside & you’ll see all kinds of cloud types that don’t exist in MSFS, how badly the light reacts with clouds in MSFS (especially at sunrise/sunset) & how bad they can look (graphically) at times.

Any improvement would be welcome.

3 Likes

Let’s hope we get the “Native support for all cloud types” that was promised in this video, but never materialised. (about 6 mins 45 in).

I won’t hold my breath.

6 Likes