No clouds in overcast conditions

Super annoying

Unless something has changed, I understand that the only source for clouds, even in METAR zones, is still Meteoblue as explained in a Dev Q&A from last year:

So even if the METAR says Overcast, if Meteoblue data are different, those are the ones that generate clouds in the sim. You should show the Meteoblue map at this location with the “Low Cloud” forecast to find out what the coverage should be. I am not saying that there is no issue, just to make sure to point to the correct data source when reporting an issue with clouds.

They say that clouds are both injected in the meteoblue model and on the sim side?

I know many compares the weather with those METAR. Why didn’t they add a toggle to get the weather 100% as METAR says near airports. Why blend and create a mess to begin with? Now we do not know when it should match what.

For example if we only used the MB model they released the sim with we could report issues of that.

If we toggled the METAR data we could have reported issues with that source.

Now we can’t report issues at all because of the inconcistency. Sometimes it matches METAR sometimes it matches MB and sometimes neither of those sources. And at the same time the variety of weather got much worse in the process.

1 Like

What I understand when reading Seb’s answer is that clouds are only coming from one of the Meteoblue multiple sources: “And clouds, I think are coming from another data source, which is more like a voxel or something, which has like a 3D data source.”
I don’t see any comment where he says it is also coming from the sim side, do you ?

Maybe not, but i think the static fog layer when low visibility is reported on METARS are simside because that always matches the METAR as wind, pressure and temp does. But it looks even more like a POI marker in my opinion.

For those of us who want the weather to be 100% as METAR says should be able to toggle that option. But it will reduce the visuals with bubbles and stuff.

For those of us that wants a more fluid weather system should be able to toggle the weather model we had at release of this sim. But it will reduce the accuracy to METARs without bubbles and stuff.

The more we compare the weather with METAR the more data from that source will be added in the future. Is that really what we as community wants?

1 Like

Most of the community doesn’t know how weather behaves, is reported, is used by pilots, and how it integrates into the game. A proper solution requires all of those aspects. It would be great were that not the case, but we’re talking a lot of education and experience that goes into that in the real world, plus insight into under the hood of the game engine, which we don’t have. Simplifying it down to a soundbyte while overlooking the reality is just begging the question.

I want the weather to behave and look realistic. There are obviously a lot of logistical obstacles to that, otherwise we’d be there. However, if it doesn’t come reasonably close to matching what’s happening in the real world, then it’s not behaving realistically. The difference is what two people consider “reasonably close.” For me, for aviation (sim included), it’s a pretty tight (but not perfect) definition that I’ve explained many times. To be considered realistic and useable, it has to be. However, your premise of “fluidity” seeks one conclusion while overlooking a lot of other issues that are crucial to reality and aviation in general, while handwaving major structural issues that existed when it did look fluid.

So, again, instead of presuming what the community wants based on a flawed initial premise, let’s teach the community how it really works, why it’s important, gather strong evidence on how it’s actually implemented in the sim, and see how that impacts the response.

I want a toggle to use the model only weather. Not only do I then get more complex weather but I can even fly predictably because I know exactly what the weather conditions will be at any time and place for the next 12 hours. I dont care much if a storm arrive earlier or later in the real world. Im flying in the game.

I wouldn’t mind if there was a switch. Go for it. We can reconvene here when everybody starts complaining “why is it jumping” every time the forecast is updated (because of how far off the broad forecast was from what actually happened in a narrow space and time).

thats what we had? - show me the complaints about jumping weather when it happened twice a day compared to post-su7 where it updates who knows how often for accuracy sake

I wasn’t active on this forum at the time, otherwise you would have. But if my VODs along with those of others were still publicly available, you could see plenty of historical griping about it. It was often really bad and I pointed it out each time. The phrase “we got Asobo’d,” was created because of that (and is still used today).

Note that we don’t take the sim inconsistencies too seriously, I see them as an opportunity to educate about reality and have some lighthearted fun with them. I view the sim as a work in progress, and it gets better most of the time. That said, I’ll usually jump in and add perspective when people state opinion or observation as global fact.

To that end, the premise that you didn’t observe complaints is full of confirmation and sample bias. Just because people here didn’t see it or say anything about it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. And just because people didn’t know what they were (or weren’t) seeing and possess an ability to express it in a meaningful way, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

Regardless, since then we’ve had plenty more time to gain insight. Some people have taken it upon themselves to learn and care about weather and its impact on aviation, real or simulated, beyond the visual presentation. Some have not.

I thought they used official wishlists and bug reports as feedback? I didnt know twitch streams and outside sources had more influence. TIL. but hey at least it sounds like you are happy and being catered to. I will keep hoping and voting to get a toggle for the old weather behaviour and visuals.

Sarcasm noted and discarded. They don’t and aren’t expected to. I got into the forums precisely because I was wondering what was going on in regard to weather, and lo and behold, despite my flavor of gripes in this area, looking to improve things, we had folks yearning to go backwards who couldn’t provide a good reason why it would be better outside of a narrowly-defined want.

Haha, if only. I’m content for many other reasons. And again, I love the opportunity to educate, even if some eschew it. But as far as how the weather is actually going and what is being planned under the hood, your guess is as good as mine or anyone else’s. Doesn’t stop me from seeing narrow requests and interacting with them accordingly.