No correlation between traffic I see out the window, G1000 & Vatsim map

Guys help me out here because I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I like to use Vatsim and so in the sim I set things as follows:

Multiplayer: Off (Group only)
Air Traffic: Off
Weather and Time: Live

Now the crazy thing is the traffic I see out the window does not appear on my G1000, some traffic I can see on the G1000 but no sign of it out the window, and neither seem to correlate with traffic I’m seeing on the vatsim live tracking map (https://simaware.ca/). I understand that the Vatsim tracking map lags a few minutes behind what’s actually going on but still…

Are there some other settings I need to change?

What’s also a little crazy is that with these same settings sometimes I don’t use Vatsim (so I don’t load the vPilot client) yet I still see some traffic! (Though once again, traffic I see out the window doesn’t appear on the G1000 and vice versa)! With these settings I wouldn’t expect to see ANY traffic without being logged into Vatsim with vPilot.

I think you also need to turn off AI traffic from traffic settings. The option in the “world map” window will only turn off live traffic but not the offline AI traffic iirc, so you need to turn it off from the settings page.
If you fly VATSIM it’s also good to turn off “static aircraft” so they don’t occupy gates or parking spots that VATSIM might assign to you or to other players.

2 Likes