No F-16 anywhere?

I mean…sure, someone could. DCdesign is making an F14 right now. However their F15 isn’t really that great, certainly not the level military fans were hoping for, and was pretty terrible at launch especially. DCdesign seems to have…learned…from his F-15 experience and the F-14 looks more promising. But those planes are not really good sims of a complex fighter jet. Flying DCdesigns F15 isn’t anything like actually flying an F-15. Almost none of the systems are modeled at all, barely anything in the cockpit works, and visually its…well it’s iffy at best in most places in the cockpit.

So if you want something that like the spitfire, g91, mb339 that you mentioned, is a fairly complete and deep simulation of the actual aircraft, that’s going to take awhile with a supersonic modern fighter. If you want a flying thing with the exterior model of an F-16 and that tells you it’s an F-16 but isn’t in any meaningful way simulating an F-16, then sure, someone could make it much faster.

That’s why I mentioned DCS. Not to compare MSFS and that sim but because DCS is the defacto standard for military aircraft simulation, regardless of whether you’re shooting the weapons. DCS jets approach things like the PMDG airlines for P3D in terms of complexity and just like them, take a long time for even a team of people to make. Heck, Aerosoft has far more employees and funding than just about anyone else and it took them this long for the CRJ which is pretty simple as far as jetliners go.

Hmmmm for as long as I remember FS has always had glider, helicopters, real float planes not that crappy icon, mil jets, mil prop craft, airliners, GA …Do you not remember the Blue Angles in what was it FS9 you could fly with them and learn the maneuvers and all. Or you could fly the Spirit of Saint Louis and feel just like Jimmy Stewart did when he portrait Charles Linburg ?

After what 40 years I expected a sim that was better, not worse, and since this whole debacle with the last release it doesnt even look all that pretty. my $0.02

1 Like

Give them time mate.

1 Like

Yes I remember. The F/a 18 was part of an expansion for FSX but nowhere near the complexity of the aircraft we have now in MSFS. It was a thing to play around in. And the legacy flight model is just not comparable to the modern one we have now. In this regard MSFS is by far superiour.
But I agree the planes in FSX with the missions were great, especially the older ones like spirit of st louis an DC-5 were a blast to fly. Classic instrument dashboards for the win. I am a sucker for old planes. That is why I like those 70s to 90s jets in DCS. No fancy flight computer, just a dangerous unstable machine and you. That is I think part of the challenge of it.

Yup but the trouble with DCS is that I invested in a few Aircraft in fs9 and they carried me all the through FSX, and P3d 4.5. And we get this and have to start all over again, yea … no! Im retired I dont have alot of money to throw around anymore. OH well…but yeah the old stuff is the best, I miss my E3 and flying into hurricanes just like the big boys do

1 Like

For the record, for all those who feel the need to keep insisting that flight simulation fans “want” high-realism aircraft, this is based on sales data for Microsoft Flight Simulator ( all versions, over many years ):

Approx 20% of all flight simulation purchases are military.

Approx 70% of purchasers of military aircraft prefer “entertainment” over super-high systems detail.

DCS World represents a niche within a niche, with sales to that platform something like 3% of all sales.

Decent level, entertainment-orientated military aircraft in MSFS are far more popular, sell far more copies, and keep far more people happy than DCS versions ( not knocking them though, by they way, they’re often true works of art ). That’s just basic market forces. Which is why I and most other devs don’t bother with DCS World, and most flight simulator users couldn’t care less about super-detail. Personally, I like a decent level of systems depth, but I build for the market, not my ego.

Regarding an F-16, I would love to do a C and D package, but have my hands full at the moment with the F-14s and Concorde to follow. It’s something I’m definitely keeping open for a future project though.

3 Likes

AMEN Brother !!! Take my money from now :rofl::sunglasses::clinking_glasses: Bring us the goodies.
As for th DCS,people don’t understand that we,the players of MFS (some serious ones at least) are also players of DCS and guess what ? WE PREFER MFS

Oh and sorry to spoil the fun for some.but…No GAME is a near to true flying experience.People need to get over the fact that they are not true pilots with real earth and sky forces trying to kill them for real.
The same as virtual racers are not REAL RACERS having to deal with damages and G forces as well.
They are GAMES people.Not even training simulations with real mechanical parts moving 360

1 Like

This is very true. All PC-based “simulators” are indeed games. I spent years using FSX before training for my pilot’s license in real life. I can confirm that flight simulation was very good for learning to read instruments, but for everything else it was useless - there is just no comparison. Virtual Reality has gone some way to narrowing the gap, as it places the user inside the cockpit which is vitally important, and the MSFS weather and lighting system introduces many of the natural “disorientations” of real-life flying, requiring true piloting skills to “fly” and navigate well, but even then it remains a game, as does DCS World.

DCS World does what it does very well, as does MSFS. The clue’s in the name kids - one’s a combat simulator, the other a flight simulator :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow the straw man arguments are strong with you two. NO ONE is comparing DCS to MSFS as sims or games. NO ONE is saying that entertainment level or more casual level military jets shouldn’t be produced. NO ONE is saying that people should go play DCS. NO ONE.

DCS gets brought up when talking about military planes because it is, whether you like it or not, the gold standard for military sim aircraft quality. Period. It’s just like when we talk about a Boeing 737 for MSFS people are going to compare it to the benchmark for 737s and talk about Zibo for X-Plane or PMDGs efforts for P3D. DCS jets are generally the benchmark against which sim military jets will be compared. We’re not talking about playing DCS, or shooting planes down. We’re not comparing MSFS with DCS. We’re simply using the DCS F-14 or F-16 for example, as yardsticks against which to measure any military planes for any other flight simulator because they are the most detailed and most realistically simulated.

Remember when Flying Iron released their Spitfire? Remember how people were comparing its performance and detail to IL-2 and DCS? That’s not because they were saying people should go play DCS or IL-2, it’s because very good, highly detailed Spitfires existed for those games and they were comparing the design, performance, and systems to the Spitfires already in simulators that were considered the high water marks for that plane. It’s as simple as that.

There’s obviously massive room and potential for more casual or less complex fighter models like Dean is doing with DCdesign, and that’s great, and NO ONE said that everyone wants study level planes.

Seriously, the two of you are strawmanning the heck out of this.

1 Like

Calm down, you seem to have gotten very highly agitated, all on your own.

“NO ONE is saying that people should go play DCS. NO ONE.”

Pretty much every forum post here and any You Tube video about military aircraft in MSFS, mine and others, has drivel such as “DCS bro’”, “Go fly it in DCS brah”, “Why would anybody fly military when you can’t fire missiles bro’”, “This is much better in DCS, why buy this garbage?” etc etc. This thread had only been active for a few hours before somebody else brought DCS World into it. That’s what we don’t get.

Comparing MSFS aircraft to DCS World aircraft is the whole point of what we’re saying - it’s pointless. They’re designed for different things, so using them as a yardstick is, of course, pointless. I / we don’t care if they’re the “gold standard” for military aircraft, it just doesn’t matter. It’s not a strawman argument to point that out, far from it. It seems that DCS fans are very much the ones that can’t stand any competition and feel the need to comment on everything, while MSFS fans seem to mostly just ignore them.

Anyway, this thread was indeed about the F-16 and we did stray from it with our little foray into DCS and why it doesn’t affect, or matter, to MSFS aircraft. If no other developer gets to the Falcons first, I’ll definitely go for it.

3 Likes

We need the F16 jet fighter

Nothing can beat this, especially the flight model

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Is that F16 ready yet ? :yum::grin:

:slight_smile:

Amen to that and thanks for the info cause i don’t have fb.
Can’t wait !!