No Machu Picchu

As part of my FS2020 World Excursion I decided to visit Machu Picchu in the Peruvian Andes. Using Google Earth and the sim map I was able to locate the area where the rubble should be. The villages are where they should be and so are the rivers, but no ruins that I could find. The good news is, if you want to experience extreme turbulence then go look for Machu Picchu. I tried first in a 172 which got shredded, and went back in a TBM. The ruins are supposed to be around 7,000 feet but the peaks go to 12,000 so you do a lot of valley flying in what amounts to wind tunnels. It a fun trip, and if you find the ruin let me know.

I Dunno , it took thousands of years for machi pichu to be discovered I find it highly unlikely you could find it in a few minutesā€¦ lolā€¦

BTW why use google maps when the game is based off of BING ? Seems like finding things using bing would be easier than using google because the images would be more similarā€¦

How about some screenshots ? of where it should beā€¦? maybe the game just rendered a pile a melted rocks? lol

challenge accepted Iā€™ll go look for it later today if no one goes looking and posts picters first.

2 Likes

The rubble was on Google Earth, I never use Bing. I probably should have taken some shots, but didnā€™t think of it at the time. There is a river that lines up on google earth and the sim map and the rubble should be close to that river. Itā€™s not a POI in the sim, but easy to fine on Google Earth.

Good Hunting

Here you have it.

You should depart from Cuzco (SPZO) heading 295Āŗ, then, as soon as you see a lake turn 320Āŗ and look for the Urubamba River valley. Then go down following the river.

It is not too far away from Cuzco (about 50 miles). I used (ā€¦ahem!) Google Maps as a visual aid for sightseeing.

I donā€™t know if you can see it better with a better rig.

Good luck!

cool save me a flight to , thereā€¦

Hopefully this will be added as a ā€˜point of interestā€™ in the future.

4 Likes

I must have flown over it I donā€™t know how many times. I looked on Google maps and that is right where I was. I came in from the north and the turbulence was rude. I will try your route and use Google Maps instead of Google Earth. Would be nice if you could fly a route then turn it into a flight plan that you could send to others. Exploring for hidden sites is fun, especially in out of the way places.

Good thread, gonna check this out sounds like a fun search!

Just went to SPZO to try TumblingBeeā€™s rout, but the fog was too thick. Will try again later.

Ironically Machu Picchu inspired MSFS.

1 Like

Would be nice to get an update of the local mesh, to have the true situation of valleys and hills. Unfortunately google terrain seems also coming from a lack data, maybe the same source as bing mapsā€¦ many years ago I tested with free available nasa srtm data in this area, and they where also bad , just in the ruins area as we do see now in the current MSFS

13 years ago I made a personal mesh / dem out of a particular data, based on elevation curves of local Peruvian 1:25000 national agriculture map and which where proceses to digital Terrain by local map editorial ā€œLIMA 2000 SAā€,ā€¦ they provided raw data from this areaā€¦

This mesh File was functional in older fs2004 and fsx versions, unfortunately I have no way, no knowledge to convert this bgl for the new MSFSā€¦ would appreciate any hint or help! Some technical crack with any idea, here in the forum community?

1 Like

Not to hijack this thread, but one can also fly over the Nazca Lines in Peru.
Very interesting sightseeing trip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines

SuperVertrix

1 Like

One of the first POIs I searched out. I knew it wasnā€™t listed so I got what I expected, black blobs where the historical buildings should be. I hope someone with the talent I lack will be good enough to render the ancient buildings for us all to enjoy. That is if it is allowed.

Bits of the ground have invisible holes there. There is a nice little strip devoid of trees, a perfect bush landing spot if ever I saw one. Itā€™s on a ridge, kind of over looking the site.

Once landed, and taxiing to a full stop, the front wheels fell into a hole, and the prop buried itself! A gap between elements of the mesh I assume.

After leaving there, I flew through the valleys heading roughly SW. There is an airstrip past the mountains that way, where I encountered a 42kt crosswind. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Are you using the Deluxe or Premier version of FS? I just spent a lot of time flying around that switchback road the you see on Google maps right next to Machu Picchu and there was no Machu Picchu to be seen. I am running the cheepie version of FS2020, so I wonder if some stuff was left off, or that I really ā– ā– ā– ā–  as a navigator. Iā€™ve lined myself up on that switchback, paused the sim and right where it should be is a bald spot in the trees. This last time I just dropped a 172 right on top of the place and Machu Picchu was no where to be found.

Yes, I have the Deluxe edition, but I donā€™t think it has to do with the images you get, since there is nothing built in that place. Itā€™s just a photorealistic scenery, the same I suppose you haveā€¦

(-13.1635382, -72.5450380) here the ruins are

And for landing with helicopters use this:
(-13.1621376, -72.5236186) - thatā€™s a real landing place

Copy & paste coordinates in search mask of the MSFS world map

planes cannot land closer than SPZOā€¦ or landing outdoor somewhere on the stony river banks of Vilcanota/Urubamba River, close to Santa Teresa West to MP

1 Like

We had a case of Pilot Error. In Options>General>Data I had Bing Data World Graphics switched off.

4 Likes