No Taxi to gate/ramp option at certain airports

Good evening everybody,

I know this has been brought up before but I am hoping somebody might be able to help me. So my go to plane is the 787-X. I generally just fly around Australia and Asia. I am curious when I fly into airports like Perth, I do not get an ATC option to taxi to ramp or gate? If I check on the world map, Perth (YPPH) has 5 bays allocated for “Heavy” (42-46). This also happens at airports like DPS (WADD). Do you have any suggestions?

Also, I am keen to know if there is a way that I can get onto a Gate at Brisbane (YBBN) when I land or not. I always get sent to ramp 42 but I would like to be sent to one of the heavy bay’s there also. Do you have any suggestions?

Is this an error with ATC or is there settings I can change or am I just expecting to much from a simulator?

In some instances, what I do is to turn off AI for ATC Communications just after exiting the runway. Then once the frequency change to Ground is done there will be an option to select request Taxi to Gate or Parking if available.

At certain airports the Gates may not be available due to stock or scenery developer omitting the definitions.

Alternatively you can preselect the gate in the SIM flight planner as part of the arrival airport. This is useful if for example you want a particular gate number.

It’s the missing of data or errors in the scenery design (the parking and gate spots).

This happened to me twice yesterday on Xbox.

I flew the 747-8 from KSFO to CYUL and then, after returning to the menu and setting up a new flight plan from the World Map, flew from CYUL to KMCO.

In both cases, after landing, exiting the runway and being handed off to ground, there was no option in the ATC window to taxi to gate or parking.

Taxi ribbons were available to lead me to parking at CYUL and a gate at KMCO even though no communications with ground had been made.

This continues to happen. I just landed at KSAF and, after tuning to ground, there were no options to request taxi to parking/gate.

However, when I turned on the taxi ribbon, there was a ribbon directing me to a parking spot, regardless.

(and with 3 votes, I suppose it’s going to continue to happen…)

I get this constantly. Twice today even.
Plenty of empty, properly categorized parking spots and no option to taxi to parking or gate when I am told to contact ground.

1 Like

You can see at 1:04:24 of this flight(an urgent delivery of a large quantity of tartar sauce) that when I exit the runway after landing and am handed off to ground, there is no option to request parking.

note: this is a high-quality payware scenery with plenty of properly located parking nodes, and I have parked aircraft set to 0% so as to not occupy any spaces.

HA!

10 characters.

3 Likes

Since I do not understand the back end of this (and no one from Asobo is going to come here and explain it to me…), it seems like something has happened recently (server behavior?) to cause this to happen regularly.

I just completed a flight from KSAN to KSBP and got the same thing. That is two flights in two days for me.

No ground options for taxi to gate/parking:

Yet when taxi ribbon is turned on:

In all these cases the airport doesn’t have parking spots large enough for the plane.

A thread named something like “Please add larger parking spots at airports for 787, 747” might get more traction.

Largest parking spot at
YPPH: 30 meters. 787 would need 34m.
WADD: 18 meters.
YBBN: Has 1x 36 meter spot.
KMCO: Has 1x 34 meter spot. 747-8 would need 34.3m.
CYUL: 32 meter.
KSAF: 7 meter spots. B18 needs 7.3m.

The gate/ramp options are becoming complicated. I’ve had flights end with only “taxi to gate” which is okay for an airliner and some flights end with “taxi to parking” but the directions took me to a gate. Fortunately I was flying an airliner. A couple of times at larger airports I’ve selected “taxi to gate” and the “gate” is on the tarmac about a 1/2 mile from the terminal. Surprisingly full ground services were available except airstairs were used instead of a jetway.

Nope. I have such occasions in Haneda in my Honda Jet. Literally EVERY spot in Haneda can contain a Honda Jet.

3 airports that I had this problem:

1. RJTT (Haneda) only when landed on RWY23 (one problematic occasion with Honda Jet landing at RWY 23, one non-problematic occasion with PMDG 738 landing at RWY 34L)
  2. Nagasaki (I forgot ICAO code), one problematic occasion with Hjet.
  3. RJOH (Yonago/Miho), multiple problematic occasion with PMDG 738.

And no, landing at an airport with no suitable parking does NOT trigger this. I have landed on multiple airports where the ATC had to give me cessna (Ramp GA small) spots for my Hjet (it doesn’t fit. Hjet would usually be assigned Ramp GA medium), without this “no option and no ATC transmission” issue.

So this hypothesis is completely wrong from both directions. No taxi option (no related ATC communication) is NOT caused by the lack of suitable parking spot, and the lack of suitable parking spot does NOT cause lack of taxi option/ATC communication.

1 Like

Was this with default airports or addons?

The cases I listed in my post match the hypothesis that not having an empty and unreserved parking spot that is large enough will cause a missing “taxi to parking” or “taxi to gates” to show up. This is also supported by me being able to verify this happening when I switch between larger and smaller planes and see those options appear and disappear in the ATC window. I have tested that multiple times with different sized aircraft at different airports.

If RJOH was default that also supports this hypothesis, as default RJOH does not have parking spots large enough for PMDG 738. The largest is 16 meter radius and 738 needs 17.3.

The parking type of a ramp does not necessarily reflect the size of it. A Ramp GA small can have any radius. The actual parking radius can be checked in devmode as shown in my post above.

Unfortunately I don’t have the Honda Jet, so I can’t check what that is coded for. The parking spot radius required is half the wing_span listed in the flight_model.cfg file. I don’t remember if it also has to match the parking types in the aircraft.cfg for player planes.
RJTT and Nagasaki (RJFU) should easily be able to fit the Honda Jet, unless every suitable parking spot was taken, so that is interesting, and there may be more than one issue here that is absolutely worth examining.

Edit: Summary: In all the cases listed in this thread I have been able to replicate the problem and solve it by changing to a smaller plane that fits the parking spot at the airports, then replicate the problem again by selecting a larger plane again, including RJOH.
Except for the specific combination of Honda Jet + Haneda and Nagasaki. Those I don’t have an explanation for, so that may be a different type of cause?

All of them. It happened in RJOH before and after installing an addon, and Nagasaki and Haneda are Asobo handcrafted airports.

So basically it happens in all situations, default, Asobo handcrafted, and 3rd party addon.

As for the GA small not supporting Hjet, I am literally seeing my wings touching the cessna next door. Doesn’t stop the ATC from working.

If you still need more to debunk that theory you can try landing a small airliner to Ibaraki (Hyakuri) or Chiayi (in Taiwan), both genuinely don’t support airliner spots in-game (both have real life airliner spots/gates falsely represented as GA small or , in Chiayi’s case, not modelled at all). I’m pretty sure the ATC would work just fine.

And of course as I said, in my Hjet-to-Nagasaki and Hjet-to-Haneda cases, they both have VERY abundant empty parking spots. Not to mention the Hjet to Yonago trip.

My old theory was that this was caused by some marine (artificial island) airports, considering only RWY 23 in Haneda fails (all other runways are not artificial island)
but this, too, is proven to be wrong as the guys above have this issue on very in-land airports, and Yonago isn’t really artificial island either. There are also other inconsistencies such as Kobe (RJBE, aritificial island without issue with or without addon), Nagoya (RJGG, same as RJBE) and Kai Tak (VHHX, only available through addon, no problem despite having very RJTT-RWY23-like taxiing scheme).

I think that happens for airports where all “parkings” are GAs i.e. too small for you.
For example, if you land at Sendai (RJSS) with an airliner, you will not have the “request taxi to south parking” option (but you will if you land with a cessna).

As for the “gate” being not a gate, I reported about this happening in Haneda, but it flopped.

Hyakuri: 7m parking, CJ4 gets taxi to parking option, A320 and 747 does not get taxi to parking option, as expected.
Chiayi: 7m parking, CJ4 gets taxi to parking option, A320 and 747 does not get taxi to parking option, as expected.

RJBE: Has some 18m parkings and works with A320 with no AI traffic, but has an “interesting” parking layout with overlapping parking spots. One large is overlapped with 2 small next to it, for most of the gates. If one of those small has a GA plane in it, the Large will be unavailable. With AI traffic or ground aircraft enabled there’s a high chance you won’t get parking for planes over 19 meter wingspan.

RJGG: Good number of varied parking spots, and should not have issues fitting medium sized airliners. No room for 747 though.

Hjet + Nagasaki and Hjet + Haneda seem like the interesting outliers here, and I can’t test it, unfortunately.

I’ve been seeing this a lot lately although with slight different symptoms

Example today I just landed at Winnipeg and exited the runway then contacted ground and ATC just basically shut down. All the options under the ATC box disappeared with no way to request anything

Has happened a few times in the last couple weeks at different airports

I noticed that you seem to be exclusively using default planes to test? Could be a addon plane-only issue you know. I only flown King Air with addon liveries (which IIRC makes it internally considered an addon plane), Hjet and those addon airliners, so it could be that.

Also considering how you were able to test this quick, did you actually land them? bear in mind that in all these occurances (Hjet Haneda, Hjet Nagasaki, Hjet default Yonago) only post-landing taxi to spot is problematic. If you start a session in the airport and try to request taxi to other parkings, they work normally.

I’ve had this happen occasionally and I don’t remember which airports. What I found interesting is that if I’m flying GA aircraft and there are no parking/taxiing instructions, I’ll taxi around the tarmac looking for one of the ground crew with the orange batons. When I get closer to him, he’ll guide me into the parking space. When flying an airliner, if ATC disappears, I’ll pick a gate with a jetway. Most of the time I just follow the yellow taxi stripe to park correctly. Then I am able to call Ground Services and the usual services menu is displayed. But there are other times when nothing works.

What I am finding frustrating about these findings is where do I readily learn what size the parking/gates are?

In real life larger aircraft fly into airports that don’t necessarily have “normal” space for them, but they don’t leave these larger airplanes just sitting on the taxiway after pulling off the runway. The find space to park them. Rarely are these airports so full of planes that there is no way that two spaces, for example, could be utilized for parking.

If the sim is going to be so restrictive with this behavior, then throw us a bone here and give us a means to know where we can fly to and in what to get proper ATC support after landing.