Non-Uniform GLTF "Scale" Animations Are Broken

If I utilize a direct animation, with a “scale” path per the GLTF 2.0 spec, it isn’t handled properly in MSFS. It seems that MSFS simply picks one axis of the scale and applies it across all three axis, rather than scaling the object non-uniformly.

The same model works fine in the Windows “3D Builder” program and imported into Blender.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re talking about, but it sounds like it. From the SDK:

GENERAL MODELLING PRINCIPLES

Microsoft Flight Simulator currently supports glTF 2.0 models, and your model assets should be created using this. Before starting, however, it is important to note that there are a number of differences between the general [glTF](file:///C:/MSFS%20SDK/Documentation/html/Asset_Creation/3D_Models/General_Principles.htm?rhhlterm=uniform#) format and what is supported by Microsoft Flight Simulator:

Model Data

Currently there is no support for the following features in the model data:

• hierarchical non-uniform scaling
  • morph targets
  • sparse accessors
  • secondary UVs
  • custom tangents
  • instances

Additionally, for skins, the inverse-bind matrices are ignored.

1 Like

Hey thanks! I missed that. An annoying omission but good to know it’s intentional.

1 Like

I just happened to read it the other day as I was perusing the SDK documentation after the update… and then your post popped up, haha!

Does anyone know if non-uniform scaling will be supported one day?

I was messing with a couple of animation effects, and one would end up pretty easy if I could just scale my object on one of the axis.