Nosewheel steering axis for joystick

l want to control nosewheel independently from rudder axis, on ground operations (taxi, takeoff, landing) l cant keep the center line, or taxi line, making zigzags, big deflections, joystick yaw axis controls rudder on air, but on the ground it must control nosewheel .

One of the many things that airliners have (which I use the twist in my joystick to accomplish), is STEERING for those that are not familiar most airliners will have a Nose Wheel Steering mechanism that is used to steer the aircraft on the ground and not have to move the whole rudder. In reality most rudders are limited in the amount of “Steer” they can provide using the rudder pedals so I am curious is this has been missed on the release.

What I am not finding in MSFS2020 settings is an axis that actually works to Steer the aircraft. Steering set even tho I set it on my twist axis on the profiles menu does not actually work? Is there another command that we can use for this?

2 Likes

+1, I have tried everything but can’t get the aircraft to steer properly I have been driving the 787 off the taxiway and into the grass because it’s impossible to make a tight enough turn

2 Likes

Same issue here -although i did assign my twist grip to the rudder as well and use that for the tiller…seems to work ok for now

Same issue here…Always turning into the grass because I cant turn tight enough even with the rudders. Dont Jets have a 90 degree turning radius?

Please add a tiller axis!

2 Likes

Same here!! I could find “set steer” in control panel and I assigned my Z-axis of my joystick to it. However, it seemed not work. I turned z-axis in my joystick and the plane didn’t turn on ground.

I tried the steering set axis, it’s halfway to what we want. But you cannot use it to steer, unless you like going in circles lol

1 Like

Glad to find the function in settings event I did search for “Tiller”. Axix assign just perfect, but no function what so ever. Only yoke+rudder steering works here, and turns are toooo wide :slight_smile:

Ok you have rudder controls but surely it needs tiller steering as well. Using the rudder to steer is not correct. Will we get both given time?

The tiller control is integrated into the rudder control scheme/input. I believe it was on the Diamond DA40 NG that I noticed it, though I could be wrong.

Not sure if the tiller can be separated from the rudder, although I don’t recall seeing that option.

I tested the A320. The rudder control works perfect and a full 90 degrees turn if you need it… The 787 does not. Sounds like a bug to me and part of the poor programing of the airliners

What a pity should be quite easy to implement. Perhaps FSUIPC can solve this once it fully ready

On my side I’m OK with the steering but it’s way to sensitive. Trying to keep the centerline on take of and landing is a nightmare just a little bit on the rudder and the plane reacts like I’m Ken block doing gymkhana. I tried to tweak the sensitivity curve in the option but it’s definitely wrong it’d either too sensitive or not at all with. I tried the fsuipc beta but when using it the sim become a slideshow so for now now I stick with the default controls but I really hope they do something get this better.

Same issue here. I’m starting to miss Quality Wings 787.

1 Like

Верните плавное управление мышкой,как это было в FSX! То управление что сейчас,управлением можно назвать с натяжкой! :sneezing_face:

Maybe this thread can help you. I wrote a workaround there for remapping the trigger-axis of the controller to a virtual joystick, then binding the virtual joystick axis to the rudder axis.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rudders-on-gamepad-not-analog/

With Lorby’s AxisAndOhs (https://www.lorby-si.com/products.html) it’s possible to use an external calibration, because it replaces the complete controller logic in MSFS.

Hi,

is there already a way to move the frontwheel of for example the A320? Currently I have assigned my tiller to Axis Steering Set. This is however not moving the front wheel but only the side rudder. Its kind of working but it is not perfect.

Thanks!

Best regards Andi

2 Likes

There really should be a way to control the tiler independently of the rudder axis. I hope to see tiler options added to the controls menu, specifically an axis and left/right options.

4 Likes