Not enough disk space - bypass needed

We need (on PC) a way to bypass the disk space check.

On having a small issue, I decided to reinstall the core game files.

Rename the Community and Official folders, uninstall, and then reinstall. Once the install is happening then rename the Official folder back again, relaunch the sim, and there we go: reinstalled. Which normally works very well.

Except this time.

Whilst trying to reinstall, it flags as having insufficient disk space, which there is, for the entire sim to be installed again. I simply need the core files to install first so I can direct the official folder back to the sim. There IS sufficient space to do this.

Sigh, the only workaround is to either copy all the files across to another drive, delete other stuff that I actually need to make room, or delete the sim and download it completely again.

Perhaps a checkbox ā€˜I am reinstalling the sim and have the main content downloaded alreadyā€™ would assist in this matter.

In the meantime, Iā€™m redownloading the entire thing, againā€¦ :frowning:

Pro Tip.

You can install launcher on disk D.
After that go to
System settings > apps
Click Microsoft flight simulator ā†’ move :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately I donā€™t have another disk drive, or partitionā€¦

What about pendrive?

Yeah, not ideal though. Thanks for the hint, Iā€™ll see if I can get it to go this wayā€¦

Youā€™re very welcome.

I agree with your post! This would greatly help when there is enough disk space.

Same with updating.

3 Likes

One way around it is to create a virtual hard drive that is dynamically allocated, then install the base files (the ā€œinstallerā€) there. How to Increase the Size your Hard Disk Space up to 2TB in Window 10 [Fake] - YouTube

You can create that virtual file on your smaller hard drive, as long as you have enough space for the msfs base files. The virtual drive will only grow when needed but report the full size to the operating system - so if it is set at say 2Terrabytes the installer thinks it has all this space - but it does not take up more space on the host drive (where the virtual drive file is located) than what you put in it.

Then when installed move MSFS like TenPatrol writes above.

Then browse the install of the rest of the game to the large game folder you already have. It should work, doing it now as we speak.

[EDIT] Yep, that worked

My point on this is that we shouldnā€™t have to do this.

The installer could have a button to refresh the download requirements and check which files exist already and their sizes, then advise of the remaining download amount required. This figure would be used to see if you could proceed with the install or not.

1 Like

Of course, being able to choose which content is installed or not before you are required to download everything is the best solution, especially if combined with the change in file integrity/availability above. Thatā€™s what other games/programs do.

Or at least have an option to download only the base sim with say 1 aircraft only. This is especially important nowadays with the excellent amount of included aircraft.

All aircraft, airports, world updates, lessons, bush trips, landing challenges etc can all be downloaded later via the content manager as the user requires. A panel could prompt users that there is additional content available to download which could take you to the content manager.

I went though my content manager and removed most of the lesson files, bush trips, landing challenges and default aircraft that I donā€™t fly and freeā€™d up heaps of room.

Iā€™d be interested to know if it is possible to find and move scenery/aircraft purchased from the marketplace (Steam version of MSFS) and place them on another drive, then link them to the community folder via Addon Linker?

Yes you should be able to. You might have to create your own links though however.
Can Addon Linker do this now? I thought it could.

The Community and Official folders work exactly the same, so links should work ok. The community folder is loaded after the official folder.

Just keep in mind, if the sim canā€™t find the item and itā€™s marked as ā€˜installedā€™ in the content manager, it will download it again.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was afraid of- it makes it more trouble than itā€™s worth. It would be great if Microsoft could create an option that allowed custom install locations for any in game marketplace downloads for those of us with multiple drives!

Once solution is to copy the things you want to the community folder, whilst the sim is open. Then delete the items in the content manager. But you wonā€™t get any updates. So links will work better.

1 Like

I agree we shouldnt have to do this, but I just wanted to find a workaround.