Not gonna say it's perfect, but

Wow, it works great now!

You just described every flight sim ever. LOL.

4 Likes

I like FS 2020 but it still has some growing to do to even match some of the features those “lesser” flight sims can do.

Give me fully working multi-view/multi-monitor support in FS 2020 and it will be the best desktop sim in my opinion. But until then… :slight_smile:

I was pretty much confined to 720p, few clouds on low and very little else but since SU5 I can manage 1080p with a few raised settings although I am still very limited with just 2GB vram on a 30 watt GT1030.

Here’s a short heavily edited video, at a guess most was rendered in the low to mid 20’s fps and tbh I would normally reduce a few settings for built up areas but I promise you that prior to the update you’d be watching a slideshow. Also I forgot my disable hyperthreading tweak so this actually could be a bit smoother.

With MSFS it is like finding a beautiful partner (m/f/d/v) thats lacks character or brains, in the beginning you don’t care and go for the beauty and feel happy/lucky. But after some time the lack of character and brains stresses the relation up to a point where you concider to separate and move on with your life.

And in that way MSFS became a sweet but disobedient beauty with no profundity, bringing colour but no life.

1 Like

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of the Metaverse :sunglasses:

1 Like

It was until the pop in festival was introduced with the latest “optimization”. Grant it pop ins are a pet peeve of mine and at first I was able to overlook it but its really started to kill the emersion for me now.

Lets hope they are being honest when they say there are plans to let PC guys eliminate this but honestly for now I don’t think they want the PC version to look better than Xbox version.

That sums it up really well.

1 Like

Your statement based on no logic whatsoever … fyi PC users get to use the Xbox version for free not the other way around so if Xbox users want better graphics then they will have to upgrade.

Wow I’m pleased to hear that - I was worried you’d found yourself some of those rose-tinted glasses!

I fly pretty much exclusively VFR and thus have always had a fairly good experience with the sim (turning a blind eye to some of the flight dynamics, and a blind ear to all of the ATC…) SU5 has improved my VR frame rate and smoothness significantly.

Now that the huge undertaking (and no doubt critical deadline) of the XBox launch has passed, I hope that the Asobo team can start to concentrate their efforts on some of the basic underlying issues and start to make MSFS into the flight simulator it has the potential to be!

3 Likes

MS has some deep pockets. They can fund 10+ year R&D projects without return on investment easily enough if they need to. Although you can bet they’ve made back their dev costs on MSFS by now and then some. Between PC, Xbox and marketplace income, they’re raking in the cash.

The issue I see is that in the short term, the promotion of MSFS for Xbox is likely more profitable. Critical mass for PC sales have come and gone. Yes, they will sell more copies over the next 9 years of the project life cycle, but the mass sales for the PC version are done already. That’s the typical big influx of cash for any video game.

The flip side is that in a couple of years when all but a few of the more dedicated Xbox simmers have moved on to the next latest and greatest, the PC crowd are going to be the ones keeping the game alive via marketplace purchases. We’re even likely to see a percentage of Xbox simmers switching over to the PC because they want to take their experience to the next level and find themselves too limited on the Xbox. This is where delivering the long promised “sim for simmers” will be beneficial for all. Right now, it straddles the line between casual sim and open world video game.

But at the end of the day, MS are a corporation and they only answer to their shareholders. What you or I want is meaningless. They’re going to go in whatever direction makes the most money.

2 Likes

Adefinitely agree with the most parts.

The R&D and big pockets, definitely! But not for something as little and futile as this SIM (in relation to the corporation, their focus is waaayy off). Ofcourse it will get exposure, and they will milk the exposure because… Azure. And i don’t blame them in any way. Azure has been the R&D here in this story, the sim is “just an app” running on it with high demands. The only way i have seen MFS product placement by the corporation or azure aligned divisions, is in combination with praising Azure. (correct me if i’m wrong!)

My point is not from publisher perspective, but from developer perspective. it’s not that black and white for Asobo. Depending on their development costs. This studio could tumble. A product in respect to Asobo’s size, looks like a huge player in it’s financial stability and survival.

Profit, definitely, but are we talking net or gross here? Possibly they are not even close to have the net bottom line positive. Do we know. maybe next year when the books are published.

Because the corporation does not care as this is of no interest of the corporation, like you say, that’s shareholder business.
But, a developer does and should, this to have the product gain a bigger audience as in the end the cashflow goes up in the company domain. if it doesn’t the corporation will lessen the budget, the publisher would be forced to withdrawn from the product, the developer is done for (if there is no security from other products). Bye bye product.

The way we talk about MS (corporation) / Publisher and developer is way to abstract and way to shallow.

P.S. little and futile is used here in the sense of MS corporation, not in the sense of xbox game studios or asobo in order of possible game cashflow and survival in failure or success.

Cheers!

1 Like

Trust me, I know EXACTLY how this is. I’ve been programming for a living for close to 30 years now. When I have something planned out, I don’t want to have it compromised by someone above me on the food chain who wants things released early, wants corners cut, etc. I want my true vision out there. I take pride in my work, just like I’m sure the good folks at Asobo do.

But at the end of the day, Microsoft (more specifically, their bean counters) are pulling the purse strings and funding the project. Microsoft isn’t just the publisher. It owns the IP and the software. Asobo are just the company contracted to make it happen. They’re the ones steering the MSFS ship in the direction that they deem to be the most profitable. If tomorrow, MS were to say all PC support is being dropped and MSFS is going to be an Xbox exclusive title, then that’s what Asobo has to deliver. Much like if you hire a contractor to build you a house, and partways through you deliver modified plans and want it done differently. As long as you’re paying, the contractor will do as you request.

That’s an extreme example that would never happen, but realistically speaking, Asobo would have no say in the matter at all. MS owns everything MSFS.

2 Likes

Absolutely, but you must be fortunate you’re enabled to deliver when it’s done, which in a lot of parts of the industry is just not possible when not yet ‘settled’.

Reading your response i think we’ve seen our share of corporate and small businesses.

Thanks for correcting me on the asobo and the xbox game studios, cheers! That clearly changes the strategy from xbox studios perspective. I thought it was pitched and the studio said ‘Make it happen’ under license and ended up in being the publisher. I clearly missed some info there. This means the stakes for Asobo are even higher. And you make absolute sense here.

I don’t think it changes the strategy from above and horizontally related in azure sellability. For ms corp, it’s one of the selling points in the ‘power’ of azure on big data. They will benefit, but don’t lose if it didn’t existed, or get’s lost.

It’s hard to imagine the Metaverse without PC and especially not MSFS but that’s just my opinion, no one is forced to believe in it.

Agreed, performance wise the sim is getting back to where it should be… now if Asobo can bat a homerun and fix the LOD popping in/culling and give us better options for color, exposure, HDR balancing, etc - we’ll be in good shape.

2 Likes

Colour and exposure still aren’t quite right after SU5. That’s one of my current gripes. Everything still seems a little bright overall. I haven’t really tried HDR since SU5. Even though it looked fabulous, I like to take screen shots and shoot video, and I can’t really do that in HDR.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.