Not sure what Asobo is doing to the weather in the backend

But keep it up ! i think its looking better and better !

5 Likes

Tried my first live weather flight in months yesterday. Small airfield (EIMH) far from METAR locations I think. Just flew a short pattern, but the weather/clouds appeared realistic, were close to what I saw reported on Meteoblu and on yr.no, and matched what I could see out my window (I’m just 50km away).

But also I had no blink-of-an-eye weather transitions.
(even over a year since SU7, there is still a glimmer of hope)

1 Like

Noticed it as well. I’m a bit in awe the sim is looking and feeling so good lately

Weather as a whole has seen some great improvements over the past months. There’s definitely still work that needs to be done on cloud types, but overall, this is a huge improvement. IMHO, the current state of weather in the sim makes any 3rd party weather injection superfluous and less realistic than default live weather.

4 Likes

I’m seeing this also on XSX. Great looking clouds and live weather lately.

With that said, the wind shift at high altitude are pretty bad… sometimes 80 knots and 180 degrees in a second. Needless to say the aircraft doesn’t like it :slight_smile:

If they have made changes I really wish they would tell us via an update note or something, otherwise it could all just be placebo :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Ill tell you this, almost each and every update since release had countless changes that were not mentioned in the release notes. So its not surprising and not a new thing…

1 Like

It might be placebo but I also feel as if live weather has improved.

I see thunder and lightning yesterday for the first time since ages. So maybe something has changed.

3 Likes

As far as I know, we haven’t made any changes to the weather code (these typically come in a Sim Update, and we would announce the change in the release notes), so my suspicion is any recent improvements you are noticing is indeed a “false positive”. I appreciate that some of you are pleased with the current implementation of Live Weather, though, and I’ll pass on your feedback to the devs. I’ll also confirm if there were any recent server-side changes to the Weather system that weren’t included as part of a client-side update.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

8 Likes

Winds and turbulence effects on large aircraft seem to be less violent and aggressive. Especially low level winds.

And yet today Live Weather wasn’t working. I tried a flight from KJAC to KDEN. Yesterday there was snow in KJAC like there should be. Today everything looked like Summer. Green grass and trees and no snow on the mountains. Flew over the Rocky Mountains and the snow on the mountains was gone. Got into Denver where it was supposed to be partly cloudy. Not a cloud in the sky. Something with KDEN has been off the past month or so. Not one cloud to be seen unless there is a snow storm. Otherwise the clouds are not around. So in my belief there needs to be much more work on the Live Weather system.

1 Like

Try a different server… i find some servers work better than others

Agreed!

I always flew with REX WeatherForce, it had its issues as well but the work arounds (for me) outweighed the unreliable / inaccurate live weather.

That said, it’s been months since I’ve turned it on as the live weather quality surpassed the quirks of WF.

1 Like

I have the feeling Servers are running better than they did Saturday which may have an effect on weather too.

It might be snake oil but I personally noticed improved performance because of this.

Maybe some Azure servers had still to get back up and running after the incident last week :wink:

RW former F-15 pilot. The weather engine is not too bad albeit wind modeling at altitude needs work. What definitely needs work is the cumulus model proliferation and scale of the clouds at altitude. For example, there’s very little difference between 14000’ and FL410. When you are flying RW at FL410 the clouds are in fact much smaller and generally 30-35000 feet below you, not nearly co-altitude and large cumulus. If there are any clouds at FL410 they are alto cirrus/stratus and very rarely, very small alto cumulus. Of course, you will also see cumulus nimbus associated with TS where the tops can be over FL410, but that’s it. Take a look at the attached real world picture taken from FL410.

10 Likes

That’s what I was referring too, it’s quite clear that there’s been no updates to the client side, so if there has been any server side changes that affect weather then it would be nice to be told about them.

What is also REALLY missing is some variable visibility levels due to haze/fog/smog/humidity etc… for example, anyone who flew IRL in India, knows that very very rarely the visibility is over 10km.

Currently only metar data around airports adding visibility data. So if you fly over India in the sim, you can actually recognize where airports are just by seeing a dot of fog, while all the surrounding is clear to the horizon.

I am pretty sure Meteoblue has the data.

7 Likes

Agreed. Like I said above, cloud types seem to still be an issue. The sky is still dominated by cumuliform clouds of the same sizes at all altitudes, which is incorrect. It’s a huge improvement over what we had even a couple of months ago and most definitely a step in the right direction. But it still needs work.

1 Like