NOW RELEASED - Shorts Sd3-30 / Sd3-60 and Sherpa project from Blackbox

Flightradar24 has much more “sleeker” and cleaner UI. First time i hear of Radarbox. Another one to add to bookmarks.

Agreed… though I do enjoy planning/flying by, VOR/NDB… but not when replicating this aircraft’s missions, as they’d occur today (I shuttle freight to/from KTVC and Lake Michigan resort islands, in the 330 Cargo).

If I had not found my solution (installed 400 popout becomes a 530, to be implemented on a 530 monitor/bezel), I’d not be flying it, much.

1 Like

Are you seeing much of a performance hit with the pop-out?

I haven’t noticed a hit… though I’ve got a fairly strong computer (i912900/380ti)… I’ll fly it into KORD… see what happens…

1 Like

I assume any frame rate impact would be the same, no matter what you flew or where. But if it was only, say a 2fps hit, if you were getting 60fps in the middle of nowhere you might not notice, but if you were getting 25fps at a busy airport, that 2fps is more of a concern.

Yeah… but I don’t monitor actual FPS… so if it’s a meaningful hit at KORD, I’ll experience it. I doubt that it will be… the other aircraft I’ve taken in/out of KORD, were pretty smooth…

1 Like

If anyone can help with steps on how to get this airplane to cooperate with the GPS I would be grateful. So currently I have found that it has a 50/50 chance of sending the GPS data to the HSI regardless of NAV/GPS mode and OBS. Clicking OBS multiple times will make the course deviate wider and wider however it doesn’t seem to affect the airplane and it’s just a visual bug. It doesn’t even need it as the autopilot will just feed off of the GPS anyway it seems. I can get it to load a departure but when it comes to programming an arrival it is unclear as to why it keeps defaulting the departure airport. I wish we had more information in the manual on this unit as it is different. I am not great with the 400 but it is a watered down version from the Garmin manual I have been referencing. Sometimes it will not continue the FPLN as it will just say SUSP with no way to to clear it.

For night lighting would love for the individual gauges to have backlighting, currently I can only get the light splashing effect.

Would love to see some 3d cargo in the hold when adding weight to it or even if it was static it would be a good touch to see some pallets back there.

Finally the MAIN thing I would like to see is the option to hook up a GPU without using ground services (similar to the way you have the doors animated on that panel). If you kill your batteries you are dead in the water unless GSX works out. If you don’t have GSX you will have to reload the flight. It takes the wind out of your sails when you are doing a turnaround flight and you have to fight to get a GPU cart. It is required to program the autopilot otherwise you will have to do a quick battery start and then program the GPS.

All in all I am LOVING this airplane, I have been flying it on VATSIM and it has been a challenge with all of the things listed. Hope to see more updates and liveries!

5 Likes

A little piece of 360 nostalgia on the cargo side of EGPH in 2005…

5 Likes

Something like this perhaps?

1 Like

Does anyone know where the window blanks are located on the Shorts 330 paint kit?

They seem to be in a different place to the 360 paint kit.

Thanks.

For payware - especially high end payware - it should a requirement… or at least, standard practice.

4 Likes

If you can figure out the exact bvar formatting, you can add an lvar to bvar hook into one of the XML files that will let you set the lvar which in turn sets the bvar.

I can post more detail later if this is an unfamiliar concept.

EDIT: Here is more info. It says for mobiflight but works for Spad as well. Axisandohs can trigger BVARs in the app without this workaround. This is an example for the TBM930 but the concept works for any plane.

This link in the Air Manager forums also has more info in the pdf posted.

https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7969

I just wanted to reiterate Jeff’s point here. I love this plane and am having a blast with it. Yesterday I flew a VOR-only flight that was great fun! But it really would be great to have the GPS working properly. Here’s why:

The S360 is like cloning a dinosaur - you’ve created a great airplane meant to be flown in a world before GPS existed. But until we can convince Navigraph to create a “retro” navdata set (a guy can dream right?) we’ve put it in the modern world of GPS waypoints where NDBs are basically gone (at least here in the US) and outside of major terminal areas, VORs are so widely spaced in most places that you can’t daisy chain your way from A to B without a lot of out-of-the-way navigation.

The GPS fixes this of course, and I’m perfectly fine with an OG AS400 (sure the 750 would be nice but I love the retro feel of the 360 for a change) - but only if it works. So Blackbox - what can we do to help you diagnose and fix it? I so very much want to fly this bird all over the place but it loses it’s appeal when the GPS fails.

Thanks!

Mark

3 Likes

@hobanagerik how’d you set your throttle, prop, and condition levers? You mentioned you didn’t use SPAD for that? I was looking back at Les O’Reiley’s old C208 video from when they changed how the condition lever worked - as long as those mixture positions respond to off / low / high, I think I can use a combination of vJoy and SPAD.neXt to get it to work like that. Then I’ve got to figure out feathering and beta :slight_smile:

That was why I linked those two posts above, which describes exactly that concept, with examples for the TBM. That would probably work, though syntax would be key.

Both are relatively easy, and I have posts describing how to do both. When I get to work I’ll dig those out as I think I have them bookmarked for reference.

1 Like

Sorry :frowning:
But they are a little awkward compared to 360

1 Like

We are sorry but if you use the Built IN NavData to build your plan ( from the start screen)
ALL available waypoints and Custom waypoints can be added to the PLN Save by MSFS Itself

I believe SimBrief plans will also work …

1 Like

Well I’ve presumably pressed something, all the com and nav radios have gone squiffy and I can’t change any frequencies. All I can remember doing was turning the panel lights off, and I can’t see anything in the manual about it.

Umm, help ? :blush:

Here is reverse thrust. “Neutral” is all that is needed to make this work. Ensure physical levers are at their idle position, then adjust Neutral so that the white dot appears on the centre line. If in doubt have it very slighly lower than the centre line as that will stop you from accidentally going into Beta.

Prop feathering I get SPAD to do the work.

Essentially the physical lever will go from 0 to 100, with 100 fully feathered. But in the sim it actually goes from 100 to -25, which is feather, and since the prop axes has no negative range you can never fully feather. SPAD detects when the physical lever is at 100, then sets that simvar to that really high number, which actually equates to -25 in that other simvar. Trying to manipulate that simvar directly this way doesn’t work, but this does. The 100ms delay was necessary as it would sometimes fail to go into feather, and this makes it reliable. For twins, have the same setup but for the the other axis, and the other simvar, so:

For condition, I just use the bog standard mixture axis:

The works for both pistons, and turboprops. From idle cutoff, as you advance the lever forward nothing will happen initially, but then at a certain point it will pop into lod idle. As you advance the lever further forward, again nothing will happen until another point is reached, then it will go into high idle.

I haven’t measure it exactly, but I would imagine its probaly 0-30 for idle cutoff, 30-60 for low idle, and 60-100 for high idle. There are some tiny differences per plane. For example, in some I have to bring the mixture lever back past the idle detent that exists for all 6 levers to go into cutoff. But in the Shorts, the idle detent is actually cutoff. It’s so exact I wonder if BBS used a TQ6+ during development. :slight_smile:

1 Like