Now the Drone Camera Causes Aircraft Crash?

Anyone else getting an aircraft crash when you’re on the ground, parked at an airport, with the engines OFF, and using drone mode to fly around? All the time lately I get a crash message after the last update saying I damaged the aircraft’s gear flying in the Drone Mode!

I have to ask…
Parking brake on? Parked on a slope with a breeze blowing and no parking brake…

Do you have any key binds that are common between the drone and the aircraft?

1 Like

This is not related to the last patch which was a world update anyway. This is a very old bug which I’ve experienced myself a few times and that needs some attention, voted! :+1:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sent-bug-drone-camera-causing-plane-to-crash/100664

Incidentally in the linked thread @Raynen gives a plausible account of why gear could be damaged. Straying too far away from an aircraft could change the LoD’s for the tarrain and therefore affect the height causing the plane to crash, so don’t stray too far away from the aircraft.

1 Like

Yes. Parking brake on. Nope. On no slope. Real weather as always with REX Weatherforce.

I did find a temporary fix until Asobo permanently fixes it. When flying the drone, turn off crash detection. Problem solved that way as well. Thanks for the link though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm this. I use my drone quite a bit when on the ground, and I have never had a problem with it. Now though, I can start the simulator at a parked position, do nothing with the aircraft, and start flying around with my drone and soon enough I get a crash screen. To test, I start from KPWK, and start flying the drone towards KORD to the south. I crash about midway there. Never been a problem before. I did not notice this bug before SU5.

If it makes you all feel better its happened to me a few times as well at kpwk and we built the place. No idea whats causing it.

I noticed the controller vibrates in pulses if I move the drone far enough away from the aircraft. Switching back to the chase camera shows the terrain shifting as it loads back in, causing the aircraft to sort of jump up and down, hence the vibration. Later I was holding short of the runway and activated the drone camera, which I had left a far distance from the aircraft and got the “you crashed the plane” message. So it’s got to be due to the terrain shifting as it loads/de-loads. If the terrain shifts violently enough I guess the sim thinks you’ve crashed into it.

1 Like

Hello,

very bad bug! Really I don’t remember same crash as landing gear damage in history of use drone. I was at many places and used drone to see around aircraft, also big distance from it and didn’t experienced any problems. Now after few lets say kilometers from aircraft I have permamnently crash of my landing gear, simply damage. Very bad feeling, really what was happened? Whu this bug is in sim after some updates??? I don’t expect to set crash detection to false, this is absolutely useless, it’s drone and it can’t be damaged and also don’t understand why it makes crash of my airplane sitting on parking without engine on.

Important update: I want ask users who do now Beta testing with new Update of sim, pls check this and in same case pls report this bug because it need to be fixed.

Hello,

just did another same test and??? Also set damage of aircraft to 0% solves nothing. I have another crash with some (looks like) not visible object in the air so again damage! Very bad!!! Really it looks to me that this sim goes to more problems after each Update, really I don’t know, what was working correctly is now broken. Are there any unvissible objects in the air??? I did quick test sitting my C172 at Lukla with engine off and go with drone to see Mt Everest vicinity. At probably near of Ama Dablam peak crash after crash! Not usable!

Update: it looks like with Crash detection ON (maybe with stress also) it (drone) feels like aircraft??? so damage is still there. Now I set both crash detections to OFF (in Realism options) and it works ok, no crashes but this was not same as before, hope I remember in previous Updates. I need set crash detection to OFF any time to use drone without crash??? Not good in my opinion.

Update2: on other side what is also new to me and is no good is grass on Mt Everest, everywhere, so I expect also some bug what was not tested. I don’t want to speculate, simply after while I started again sim to have some good time with it and…

Screenshot: North side of Everest covered with grass…

I had this twice today.

Parked up, switched to Showcase camera, panned around the airfield and when I then switched back to external view the plane bounced into the air and landed upside down…

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

no

Brief description of the issue:

after a few minutes using the Drone Camera and flying away from the plane, the game ends with the msg: “You damaged you gear. Do you wanna restart?”

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

n/a

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. choose a random airport for departure (i used KSRW)
  2. double check you plane cannot move (parking brake, shut off engines)
  3. start Drone Camera
  4. increase transition speed to something fast
  5. fly away from your plane and explore the world
    Result: within a very short time your plane will crash

Additional Info:

To me it looks like the polygons below the plane disappear and physics go wild. Once when I switched back into the plane it was dropping onto the airport where I left it and therefore crashed.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i5 13500K, 32GB, RTX 4070Ti

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Just happens to me. Taxi up to the gate, switch to drone camera and the aircraft bounced up then crash upside down. My guess is that the drone camera is in a strange position or far away from the aircraft when I last use it. So maybe it clipped through terrain or something and caused problem with LOD?

Yeah, this still happens. Pretty annoying, especially now where a lot of areas have basically photorealistic (albeit low detailed) terrain and you can check each and every house, in some cases even windows. So, it basically challenges virtual pilots to try to find their house, or familiar place, and even though planes and helos are cool, the drone is the best way to check the terrain in detail.
For example I love Dalmatia. I’m trying to spend there at least few weeks every summer. So i flew to Brač island. When there, i switched to drone and wanted to fly to Makarska with a drone (i already visited the entire coast from
Split to Dubrovnik in many planes). Unfortuntely Makarska is only autogen, only Dubrovnik got the detailed models. But the general area still looks amazing, at least from the air.
So, i switch to drone on Brač island. Fly over the bay to the mainland. Check the tunnel entrance connecting the coast to the highway beyond Biokovo mountain range, then off to Makarska (just a few km IRL), and when i finally got to the outskirts of town, “You damaged your landing gear”.
■■■■■■, can’t the sim just ignore the physical limitations when the player is flying the drone, and the actual plane is safely parked on an apron, with everything switched off, parking brake on, even with chocks and covers placed?
I didn’t crash sheed, the sim did.

1 Like

The same here. This needs fixing - very annoying!

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes this has happened to me several times

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Just happened to me again today.
Spent 30min from C&D loading Fenix A320 at gate A21 of Fly Tampas KLAS and while the APU was starting I used the drone cam to check out the excellent Vegas strip and - kaboom - game over. So frustrating now I don’t have time to do the flight again.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video: