NVdia driver from 580.88 causes mainthread to saturate (50ms) when using framegen

glad to hear it worked! another update, I did a complete window reinstall/wipe out all data, etc. Installed the new driver fresh, and also MSFS2024 on vanilla. Issue is still there. So it is probably a combination of the drivers, and something from the sim.

Try Frame Generation AMD FSR3 instead Frame Generation NVIDIA DLSS

I usually play without Frame Generation - I only turned it on for testing.

FG NVIDIA

FG NVIDIA + DLSS Quality

I can’t believe there’s such a big difference… Since I have an RTX 5080, I just assumed DLSS Frame Gen would be better and never even thought about trying FSR 3. I need to go test it out right now.

test:

After some testing, I’ve concluded that FSR 3 FG performs better. There is a noticeable difference in main thread latency; specifically, Nvidia’s FG shows higher latency, whereas FSR FG is significantly lower. Even if you own an Nvidia card like I do, I highly recommend using FSR 3 FG if you’re looking to enable frame generation.

Ryzen 7 9800X3D, RTX 4090, 4K High/Ultra, FG NVIDIA DLSS x2 - on.
NVIDIA driver 591.74 without NVIDIA app.

Main thread 33ms :frowning:

I just remembered one of the settings in developer mode that affects both Frame Generation NVIDIA DLSS and the main thread.

Here’s a little trick.
Turn on Smart Docking System via Options tab.

HI @TenPatrol,

First of all, thank you very much for your help.

I have installed Nvidia driver 577 as suggested, however when I am ingame, the game feels stuttery when moving the camera. Have I done anything wrong? I am having issues with Mainthread as mentioned on this post: Sim turns into a slide show on long haul flights - #19 by CaptainllDaxll
I think this is all related.

Also, I have DLSS swapper which I haven´t touched at all since installing Nvidia 577. Do I need also to change anything in Nvidia app?

Thank you in advance

I have to leave home now, but I’ll check your thread once I’m back.
Please add a new post in your thread and tag me there so I can take a closer look.

No problem at all! I have tagged you on the post :slight_smile:

Have a good afternoon!

what an insanely random setting. i’ve also seen posts stating that disabling it improves performance. shrug

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/658385-bad-performance-in-dev-mode-disable-smart-docking-system/

I have Smart Docking checked, and i think it shows your actual fps without Fg, and that’s why the mainthread looks low. Mine is showing 44fps, which is my “true” fps. I usually have to exit the dev mode and leave the debug counter on, to show the fps with fg, and that’s when it will show the mainthread being saturated.

Hi @apeduke1806 , did you see the 591.86 driver got released?

brave enough to try it? :smiley:

That’s why I left it open to comment.

Im terrified to try it.

I all seriousness, I just want to fly. Im staying on 577.

Couple of thoughts I had.

  1. I wonder what would happen to a brand new system that only got flashed to 591.59. I think it would be OK

  2. I will see if NVIDIA get back to me.

Serious point about the new driver though. I don’t think they recognise this as an issue yet, so it probably won’t fix the issue. It may fix it accidentally though if they’ve made a change elsewhere that coincidentally fixes what we are seeing.

I have also reverted back to 577, however, what´s your max FPS? I am getting around 70/80 max in EGLL.

Hi mate. I saw your earlier post.

Im on FGx2

I was wondering if you were on 3x or?

Do you use v sync also?

I was getting my real issue mixed up before with changing other settings. For instance, no frame generation would look stuttery, but I think thats because I was generating 45 native frames on a 60hz tv

I have a 4090 so the maximum FG I can get is 2x. I have Gsync ON and V.Sync OFF. (240Hz monitor).

My issue was that I had a massive bottleneck because of the mainhread during descent and also before descent. 8h of flying without issues/super smooth and bam mainthread was a slideshow… I have had this issue since SU3…

I hope Nvidia sees the issue because many people are affected by this issue

I think that does look different to what the topic author and i are seeing.

Your mainthread is yellow, with a red spike each time you get the jump.

In our case, we have it from immediately loading in, and the mainthread is pegged with constant red spikes in it.

@apeduke1806 Try

Download NVIDIA driver 591.86

  1. Uninstall NVIDIA driver via DDU in Windows Safe mode.
    If you need help for using DDU, check this GUIDE
  2. Restart PC.
  3. Install NVIDIA driver 591.86 - install only the driver and PhysX.
  4. Restart PC.
  5. Launch MSFS 2024

YSSY

i just tried it with the steps above. First time playing it was ok, but the second time it went back to the high mainthread issue. Can you try again with a restart?

Yep - stay tuned.

I see that this happens with newer drivers, so I have the impression that Nvidia still insists on collecting data via telemetry… because they don’t know what to improve specifically. This ends up undermining performance. But I know there’s a way to remove telemetry from a driver with specific software.