Nvidia DLSS in VR

So I tried the new DLSS feature today in VR. In VR the issue I am having with it is that it makes the resolution noticeably worse and so the text in the cockpit becomes too blurry to be easily readable. The framerate increase in comparison to TSA with render scaling = 100 was surprisingly hardly noticeable. I am not sure if I am missing some important setting or feature that I should have used with it. I used the quality preset for DLSS and my GPU is Nvidia 2080 super.

1 Like

Yep - DLSS will sacrifice clarity for performance in VR. DLSS on Quality is the best you’ll get with any of the settings.

1 Like

The surprising outcome is that there wasn’t really any significant performance gain on my GPU, I only saw quality degradation.

I had it set to DX11 not sure if that matters since people are saying DX12 isn’t quite there yet.

It only really helps if you’re GPU limited - perhaps your CPU is what is limiting your framerate?
(It most often is in MSFS!)

I had the Same Unsharpness in Dlss but iam playing around with OTT (Tray Tool) And set Default Super Sampling 1.5 or more fix this Problem for me on DX11 I7700K 3060Ti 32GB Quest 2

In your case, I think your setup and environment is more CPU intensive than GPU.

DLSS is essentially an algorithm for image scaling.
Some people compare it to TAA, but it has different characteristics, not higher or lower. There is just a lot of information available right now because this happens to be the time when DLSS is officially implemented in MSFS.
DLSS is essentially independent of DirectX version. It can be set arbitrarily.

Especially in DLSS/VR, it is easy to see the difference in areas where DLSS is characteristically poor, such as the rendering of fine lines in glass cockpits, text blurring, artifacts in waves, etc. If GPU performance is sufficient, there is no need to force the setting at all.
Since there are diverse individual differences in what kind of image quality is preferred, please do not be misled by the information and trust your own eyeballs.

4 Likes

Good point will check this when I get the chance.

DLSS, in VR, is like being given a Ferrari but with the condition that you drive it with bottle-bottomed glasses. That is to say, it gives you more FPS, but with a blurred image, we’re like when we lowered the resolution to have a little more fps. .

Thing is you get a better readability of in-cockpit displays if you just reduce sampling to 80% and turn on TSA. I didn’t expect the effect to be so significant. I think it may be more appropriate for other games. I mean I’m glad we have the option, just not sure that I’m going to use it in VR especially where resolution is already not as good as on flat screen.

I have to admit, I’ve flipped between DLSS and TAA.
I enabled DLSS when I changed a lot of other settings, and of course alongside the OXR Toolkit, so because I now have a performance and quality level I’m happy with, I haven’t changed it.
I certainly notice the sharpness with TAA vs DLSS though, particularly on the glass cockpits. There’s absolutely no doubt TAA is clearer, I just haven’t tested whether a reduced render scale with TAA at the same performance level as DLSS is actually clearer or not!

Yeah would be good to test. For me even supersampling gives same performance as DLSS. But that may be, as said above, due to being CPU limited rather than GPU limited. Would have to check. You may get better results on your PC with DLSS.

I installed update 10 today to try out dlss. Tried the performance dlss option and compared it to TAA. First I tried it on my flatscreen 1920x1080. Graphics were much worse with dlss without a real fps increase. Than I tried VR with quest 2 (nearly 4k resolution 100% sampling). Same results. Graphics were much worse with dlss without a real fps increase.

Rig: Core i7 10700k RTX 3080 32gb RAM.

In 1920x1080 I might be CPU bound, but I dont think that can be the case in nearly 4k resolution VR. That must be gpu bound. And yet no fps increase with dlss.I didnt install latest nvidia drivers yet and still run win10.

1 Like

I did a basic report on an upgrade I did recently posted on the community forum. I went from a 7700k and 1080ti to 12900k and 3090ti. In non VR mode the performance upgrade was incredible. With ultra settings and no DLSS with the 1080ti and 7700k I would get about 35-40fps average in 4k. Same settings on the upgraded machine got me 80-90 fps no dlss once again. However in VR the change was laughable at best. I went from 25-30fps in VR to 40-45 fps, this was not the huge gain I was expecting and suspect there are other limiting factors in VR that contribute to this. On the bright side, I can jack my headset’s display all the way up to 200 render scaling without any performance hit which makes my oculus quest 2 look more like the vario aero for quality.

1 Like

Yeah, DLSS must only help in specific hardware/environment configurations.

Both flying around northern Michigan (very little scenery) and New York City and Seattle (lots of scenery and embarassingly bad frame rates) on a 10900K/3080 combo with a 5,120x1,440 monitor, I didn’t see any significant performance difference between DLSS on and off, despite the devmode frame rate counter verifying that the sim was indeed rendering at a lower resolution.

1 Like

Why not? It’s a 3080. It should do that. If your CPU caps you at around 30fps, there’s not much change to be expected whatever you try with your GPU settings.

Yes, in VR, the load is much closer to doubling because it uses different angles of the left and right eye and makes two passes.
It is possible to use the GPU’s multi-render target to render the different angles of the left and right eye, and this is included as a hardware aid, but not all screen generation can be done by the GPU.

And screen space techniques such as SSAO and SSR are only effective for display results for a single screen, and since the left and right eyes have different angles, if they are extended to both eyes as is, shadows and reflections may be the same angle for the right and left eyes, resulting in an unwanted expression.
Therefore, two screens must be generated from different angles.
The result is a considerable and rising CPU load and read/write load to memory in VR.

As a result, the FPS will not increase much.

It may be better to use OpenXR Toolkit or similar to lock the internal refresh rate to something like 36 FPS (half the default FPS of Quest2) and rely on the HMD reprojection to get a better experience.

It looks like I am not CPU limited, definitely GPU limited. Good guess but at least in my case that’s not it.

@pieter2427 I know this because I am well aware of the cpu and gpu limits of flight simulator. This was tested twice by a Dutch website. The original version of flight simulator was cpu limited. But since the july 2021 update it is no longer cpu limited but gpu limited. They tested specifically the 3080. And on 4k it is since july 2021 definitely not cpu limited. A 3090 gives 12% better framerates than a 3080. On 1920x1080 thats a different story.

Here the link to the second tests (I dont know if you understand Dutch language but otherwise you can use google translate)

@KanadeNyan If this is really the case than adding dlss to flight simulator is useless for VR in probably 99% of pc’s. Including incoming rtx4000 series gpus (altough nvidia claims great benefits wirh a rtx4000 series in flight simulator)

DLSS for me at quality seems smoother and more of 2-3 more FPS and the FPS more stable and hovers at 40fps

I also have openxr tools with FSR set and sharpening to 30% which probably helps mitigate the soft look that DLSS had vs TAA. TAA looked better, but the FSR and 30% sharpening kinda of helped revert it closer to what I had before, I just like the more stable 40fps I am getting. TAA gave me about 37-40 fps

I have an Oculus Rift S and a 3080Ti and settings all HIGH

I will still play around with it to see what works best