Nvidia Driver Confusion

Is that the same as RTX2060, the Evga RTX 2060 KO? Sorry, I’m completely lost when it comes to computers.

Xplane 11 is a downloadable program? Separate from Flight Simulator? My son is very much a beginner. He got the Logitech X30 joystick with the FlightGear 2020 disc.

That’s correct about the rtx2060 it’s the fastest card in your list.
My experience is only for ms fs2020 this sim is a very power hungry simulator so I expect that flight gear runs very smooth.

I’ve been offered one more. It’s an Intel i7-4790, Intel 64 Family 6 Model 60 stepping 3 @3.60ghz, SOCKETT 1150

I’m just relaying what was sent to me. Would you still choose the RTX2060?

Again, thank you so much for helping this mama out!!!

The pc with i7 cpu is faster then the i5 based system with the gtx2060 gpu.

But i do not see specs for the GPU in your last post.

The GPU (graphic card) is necessary for calculating what you see on your monitor and for games the most important part.

At this point my choice is still the i5 with the gtx2060
Because cpu speed is less important then GPU speed for games.

1 Like

Refer to this post.

457.30 is the best driver in my opinion and many others m. We have also seen improvements in other VR sims. For better performance optimization follow the recommendations in that thread. They have helped many of us greatly improve our performance and VR experience.

2 Likes

This is for those who cannot solve stutter issues.

I started with a 2700x and RTX2070S. I ended up running the Nvidia Studio drivers and was happy with the performance. Weeks went buy where I could not run the sim due to downloading issues and updates that broke things.

Upgraded to a 3800x and latest Nvidia drivers. Stutters and pauses back. Ended up with the Studio drivers again. Not totally gone, can see them if I look for them. I’m staying this way with these drivers until an update breaks something again.

Never used DDU or VR. Naturally, the Studio drivers may not be the Magic Bullet as it may be a setting I changed some where.

So, your mileage may vary. Something else to try.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll pass on this one. I don’t know what all those specs mean, so I don’t know which one is better or meets requirements. I’ve found a few others. Would you mind looking at the specs to tell me if any would run the simulator adequately? There are 4 other options here. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

• Evga Rtx 2060 KO
  • i5 9600k (Unlocked Overclock)
  • 256gb ssd Change to 1TB SSD extra $100 to $200
  • 16GB of DDR4 Ram @3200mhz
  • 500gb hdd change to 1TB HDD extra $50
  • Wifi / Bluetooth
  • Windows 10 Pro
    This PC can handle most games at max settings with no problem. It has an i5 9600k paired with an RTX 2060.

This would be a good entry level the only change is a 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD

1 Like

I updated using the DDU utility to the latest 460.89 Nvidia driver and the stutters were to say the least very annoying, was sitting mid 40’s in terms of FPS but it felt like mid teens. Once again I went back to basics, used the DDU utility once again to uninstall 460.89 and I manually re-installed version 452.06 which for my rig seems to be the best performing driver in terms of fluidity and FPS.

My Nvidia Control Panel settings include only the “prefer maximum performance” and “highest quality” setting for AA, but since then I have included the max allowed FPS entry and this is set to 30, sim is as smooth as silk, no stutters, no pauses and under heavy loads the impact is so marginal that it’s barely noticeable.

Another thing I noticed which took me a few hours to resolve, on booting up windows under task manager, Processes, make sure there are not background applications running which are hogging your resources, custom desktops, icon dockers or even game launchers will cause major stutters while in-game, after refining my processes with idle CPU usage under 3% and 1% for GPU, I am now back to enjoying the simulator with LOD set to 4 and most settings on ultra, fps is constant at 30 without the use of vsync. Hope this helps other find a balance. btw I don’t play in VR, these setting were used specifically for native game play.

Why not get the i5 10600k as it is the successor to the i5 9600K. I have just upgraded to the 10600K from an i5 2500K. The 10600K runs FS pretty well. I have it matched up to an Asus GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card. You would need a motherboard with the Z490 chipset though. I’m running it on an Asus TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS (WI-Fi) motherboard.

From my testing, the difference is very subtle between those two CPU’s, definitely not worth upgrading. I’d rather upgrade the GPU and some fast memory (32GB), this will make a substantial difference.

Hi TrevKiwi. I’m assuming you responed to me. I’m looking on Facebook Martketplace in my area to find a computer that will do the job. I just posted the options that were available in my area for immediate purchase. I know nothing about computers. I’m just trying to find one that will run Flight Simulator so my son can fly and use this joystick his grandfather gave him for Christmas, and the Flight Gear 2020 disc. I don’t think his grandfather realized that it wasn’t a plug-n-play type thing. This is much more complicated and way above my knowledge of computers. I basically just copied and pasted from the FB Marketplace ads I found near me to ask more experienced gamers what will work. I’m not building my own by any means. I was hoping I could find a good gently used one that will do the trick! The Window chat person I was asking sent me the link to this website and cut me loose. I found this active forum and basically highjacked the conversation hoping to get some answers. Thanks!

You’re welcome

Hello Cole
If 500 dollars is your budget, you might be better off getting a console to play on.
PC hardware that is required to run this program is typically very much higher, especially once you add a decent monitor and headsets.
The console will get you the most performance for the money. It won’t be optimum, but for a beginner should be fine.

If your budget is higher, like $1500-2000, you should be able to get a nice rig.
Lower end gaming rigs are not for this type of sim and as noted, will disappoint.

Good Luck.

1 Like

I teach workshops in software, so I’m reasonably good at translating this stuff into human.

There are a few parts involved here and they do different jobs:

• The CPU (Central Processing Unit). This is your i5, i7, Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7. It handles things like laying out the ground surface, creating buildings and all the calculations for how the planes fly.
  • The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). This handles taking all this stuff and drawing it to the screen. It takes the layout information like ground, buildings, trees, roads, etc. and actually “builds” them, lights them and then takes a picture of the result. This is just one frame in the never ending animation that is a game. In this flight sim, you really want 30+ frames per second. This is a LOT of processing power… and it’s where your 1080, 2060, 2070, etc come in.
  • RAM (Memory). It’s the workbench everything is built on. If you don’t have enough space to work, you have to waste a lot of time shuffling things on and off the small workbench while you’re trying to get the job done. In flight sims, 16 Gigabytes is okay for what you’re doing but for higher performance you’d want 32.

About CPUs: You seem to be getting a lot of recommendations for Intel based CPUs, which are the i5 or i7 chips. The other way to go is with an AMD chip, such as the Ryzen 5 or 7. Be careful, though. There are lower boundaries below which it’s like trying to ride a bicycle on the main road. Older i5 or Ryzen 5, below 3600, are going to be the minimum and when I say minimum, I mean you’re running on low settings.

About GPUs: Almost everyone goes with NVIDIA right now, but AMD does make some good video cards. This is the budget killer, especially now with everyone clamouring for video cards while stuck at home. A reputable store won’t change the price on you just because they’re rare, but they will make people come in physically to get in line. Such is the case with Microcenter, where I got mine. They keep a record and you can only buy one card every 30 days, to try to stop resellers from grabbing them all and running off to EBay. The basic idea of NVIDIA card rankings is this:

• “ti” is a very big deal. In short, it means that the card is strong enough that it’s possibly preferable to the next highest number that is plain, without the word “Super” or “ti”. I have a 3060ti, and when buying it the 3070 wasn’t a big enough performance jump to justify the price difference. “ti” is that important.
  • The last two numbers are the important ones. The first two are supposed to be an indication of the style, and the last two of the strength. 1080 is the older style, the next generation after that was the 20 series, such as the 2060. Trouble is, there wasn’t a big technology jump between 10 and 20, and so the 20 series was already phased out of manufacturing once the 30 series came out. So I’d be more inclined to want a 1080ti than a 2060 plain.
  • Prices are all over the place. The second highest card in my below list is currently listed at $800, but the best is one I just paid $489 for last week. There is even a reasonable entry level card in there for $249.

Everyone has opinions, here is my opinion about video cards you should consider:

• GTX 1660ti
  • GTX 1660 Super (Great deal at $249 on Amazon)
  • GTX 1080
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • RTX 2070 Super
  • GTX 1080ti
  • RTX 3060ti

For CPU, see if you can angle for the new Ryzen 5 5600X (about $300). It’s just been crowned the absolute best bang for the buck gaming CPU in existence. Short of that, on a budget, go for a Ryzen 5 3600 ($199). I don’t know much about Intel CPUs (i5 and i7) except that I’d advise not trying to do flight sims on an i5. It’s not a gutless chip, but this flight sim is a bit more demanding than I think an i5 can handle well.

That’s the general gist. Be sure to get no less than 16 Gibabytes of memory, too.

Good luck!

2 Likes

A Ryzen 5 5600 is almost twice the price of an Intel i5 10600K and for the very minimal performance difference between the 2, an Intel i5 10600k would suffice. I have recently upgraded to an Intel i5 10600k and runs FS on high-end settings. UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs Intel Core i5-10600K I think the prices could be in NZ $. Here is a video that I made flying the Grand Canyon. BTW I’m using an Asus 1060 Strix 6 GB graphics card. This has had 239 views. (1) Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 12 10 11 52 25 01 - YouTube

The price for the Ryzen on that site is extremely inflated, to the point of highway robbery. The real price on a Ryzen 5 5600K is $299, with cooler.

The i5 is $250, without a cooler, so they’d have to buy one separately. In the end they’re roughly the same price, and according to Passmark the Ryzen is a far, far better chip:

You can find the prices here:

1 Like

Your Passmark is for the i5-10600, not the i5-10600K which is faster and can be overclocked. All K variants of Intels CPUs can be overclocked.

“Faster”, 3.7 vs 4.1, is irrelevant. Also, all Ryzen CPUs can be overclocked, too. I know you like the i5 but even after correcting the comparison, the performance is still not even close (14600 to 22100). There’s a very good reason the Ryzen 5 5600X is being called the best value gaming CPU right now. Here’s the corrected head-to-head comparison… and let’s not keep hijacking this thread? I just realized this is the NVIDIA driver thread. Sorry all :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.