Nvidia frame generation is causing CTDs

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yes. I tried with and without them, the CDTs continue appearing

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Every time I activate the frame generation, after a few minutes of loading any plane (Sometimes instantly) the sim crash to desktop without any warning given. I have tested for days trying to find the cause of the crashes, even did a full reinstall, and I can confirm it’s the frame generation what is causing the crashes. This problem is not happening only in the beta, it also affect the stable version, but appeared with the first beta of SU12. I have also tried updating the nvngx_dlss.dll and nvngx_dlssg.dll to a newer version to see if it that fixed the crashes, but no luck, so I reverted the changes. I suspect it may be related to the use of frame generation with NVIDIA Freestyle filters, but I had crashes without the filters too, so I can not confirm this 100%. What i can assure is that there is no CDTs with Nvidia freestyle filters active and frame generation turned off.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Disregard

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Activate the frame generation using TAA. Load any plane, move the camera a bit, and wait a few minutes. If nothing happens, try again after creating a color filter with Nvidia Freestyle.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up:

RTX 4090
Intel I9 12900k
32GB ram DDR4

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1174652380890306970 type 5

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

It’s working well for me no CTDs. Odd that you’re experiencing it.

If you are using the latest nVidia drivers you may need to go back to version 528.49 as the new version doesnt like the Freestyle Filters

1 Like

I forgot to add this to the post in the OP, but now that you mention it, this was happening also with the previous drivers. In fact, I updated them to see if that fixed the problem, but no luck either.

Theres been a couple of updates. You specifically need the version I mentioned (if you havent tried that already of course)

528.49 was the last one before 531.18 was released late February, so yeah.

Not sure if it’s the last few drivers or the latest beta update, but I think I’ve narrowed the CTD on loading into a flight to Nvidia Game Filter. I was testing out some settings Q8 recommended in a video he did not long ago and whenever it was enabled, I’d get a CTD. If I disabled game filters, everything loaded fine.

Also, I’ve had no crashes/issues related to Frame Generation. I’m running a 4090/5950x, 32gb RAM

Yes it is a known problem that started with the driver update that introduced Video Super Resolution. It is even in the nVidia release notes for the latest driver

Known Issues

• Toggling HDR on and off in-game causes game stability issues when non-native resolution is used. [3624030]
  • Monitor may briefly flicker on waking from display sleep if DSR/DLDSR is enabled. [3592260]
  • [Halo Wars 2] In-game foliage is larger than normal and displays constant flickering [3888343]
  • [GeForce RTX 4090] Watch Dogs 2 may display flickering when staring at the sky [3858016]
  • [Hogwarts Legacy] Black Screen/Hang on Launch at Shader Compilation Screen using Driver 531.18 [4012825]
    Workaround: Close and relaunch game.
  • Applying GeForce Experience Freestyle filters cause games to crash [4008945]

Just wanted to say thank you to OP and everyone else – CTDs over the past week had been driving me nuts as I’ve never consistently experienced them in MSFS before. Turns out it was Nvidia game filters for me too; as soon as I turned that off, even with FG remaining on, the CTDs stopped.

Yeah I’ve got lots of issues with this driver. Complete ■■■■ and I’ve installed / uninstalled (clean) multiple times and tried all different combo of settings. Even tried their hotfix- which I beleive is the latest release version. Running 4090 with 13900k frame gen on- lots of flickering, landing lights flicker, some of the lights on gates etc flicker and the whole screen flickers enough to become very distracting. Reverted back to 528.49 and I can run PMDG at DD KEWR and ini KLAX on ultra TLOD 325 on latest beta with pretty smooth performance and limited screen flickering. FLICKER!

Unable to reproduce. If you are still having this issue, please DM me and I will re-open for more of your feedback.