Oculus users - ASW (asynchronous Spacewarp)

Like many of others posting here I have spent more hours than I care to say testing and tweaking drivers, the OTT/ODT, and many other things trying to squeeze acceptable performance in VR. It is generally suggested by most people to set ASW to “disabled” to help alleviate stuttering.

One thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago but have not seen posted about is a couple of ASW options that do not appear to be available in the Oculus tray tool or the debug tool. The commands are executed in the Oculus Command Line Interface:

server:asw.hmdauto
server:asw.hmd45

I found these options by using the Oculus command line interface, typing “help” and reading all of the options. These two options force the ASW work to be performed by the HMD rather than the CPU of the computer. I have experimented over the last couple of weeks and wanted to be sure of the outcome before posting. I can say for sure that I get smoother performance and several more FPS by using the hmdauto command. Switching back to conventional ASW modes (in the command line interface) immediately decreases FPS and smoothness when I re-enter VR mode.

Has anyone else experimented with this? What wer/are your results?

My system:
HP Omen15
I7 10750
RTX2060
16GB 2933 Mhz ram
Win10 home 20H2
Oculus Quest with Oculus link cable

1 Like

Where does one locate the command line tool for this?

In the Oculus Diagnostics folder.

Thank you!

It works really well. Significant increase in FPS and significant reduction in micro stuttering.
Thanks for the tip

I7 7700K
Zotac GTX 1080i
32 GB
Oculus Rift

Thanks for verifying!

Thx

How can you re Set these settings once set ?
Can those be set for only FS 2020 ? I do not want to mess up my entire VR Games :wink:

how do you start it? its only a .dll not an .exe?

First start OculusDebugToolCLI, which is an EXE file, then enter the commands in the command line
server: asw.hmdauto
server: asw.hmd45

Correct. My system never hits 45 FPS, so I just use the hmdauto command

Thanks, but how do I use your tip along with FOV in OTT/ODT? I’m afraid if I run one of those it will override the CLI setting, since they each have their own ASW settings.

You can set FOV with a command as well.

In the command line interface, type “help service”. You will see a sub-command for FOV. Drag across it and “ctrl c” to copy the command, then type “service [ctrl v to paste]” and your FOV settings separated by a single space.

Hi ,

can you please answer how i can revert the changes once set back to default ?

Also are these two settings

or

server: asw.hmd45

since you wrote

works best for you ?

so i may add the first or the second “option”

I am on a RTX 3080 btw with latest Nvidia Drivers incl Hot Fix 461.81

I would sure like to try out the changes but i need to know how to get back to default then not messing up my settings thx :slight_smile:

You can revert back either by rebooting your machine or by using one of the other commands available in the command line interface. For example, “server:asw.off” disables asw. “server:asw.auto” will revert asw back to the CPU, as will any of the “server:asw.clock” commands (clock30, clock18, clock45, etc).

The best way to learn about this stuff is to type “help” and look at all of the various commands available.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.