[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Guided New Zealand Tour

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Flight plans will be brought to you by @Pieter1982NL and your regular hosts will be @simtom2 and @Jummivana.

This guided tour is brought to you by @zkdos!

When: Friday, 2000Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

11.12 FLIGHT DETAILS

Come for a guided flight around the beautiful North Island of New Zealand with a local real world pilot from the area. We’ll fly over beautiful lakes, snow covered volcanos, some Lord of the Rings filming locations and then follow one of the country’s longest rivers as it twists and turns out to the coast. Along the way expect lots of commentary about the history of the area and hear what it’s like to fly here for real!

PLANNING

Starting airport is at NZAP. Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds, cloud tops dropped down to 4500 feet makes for the best views
Time of day 0630 local for great lighting

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

We will be using a Beechcraft Bonanza.

A .PLN file is provided by the following link:VFR Taupo (NZAP) to Wanganui (NZWU).pln (7.6 KB)

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

16 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

Anyone noticed this strange blob of water around the end of the river ? :laughing:

2 Likes

i came close to hitting it with me trying to stay below 100 AGL along the river

Very scenic! I had lots of fun racing down the river :grinning: :small_airplane:

2 Likes

If you missed the river racing part today, or wish to attempt flying the longer route – I edited a flight plan for you. This flight starts from the more demanding upper part of the river, from waypoint 18 onwards it’s exactly the route flown today in the community flight.

NZ river race.pln (8.1 KB)

For this flight my recommendation is the Robin CAP 10, although you’re welcome to choose aircraft of your liking. The first half of the route might be too demanding for other type of aircraft! I recommend selecting clear skies weather preset for safety :grimacing:

Here is a small taste of the route, from my first try:

The flights starts from Taumarunui (NZTM) – when you get up from RW19, the river is 1NM ahead of you. Follow the river SE. When you reach the ocean, the airport of Wanganui (NZWU) is right there on your left side.

Happy flying!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks for a great flight! Awesome event.

I streamed the event from my perspective, towards the back of the pack, if anybody fancies a replay. Unfortunately 720p 30fps, but only noticed after the stream… next one will be 1080p60 :frowning:

~37 mins into my stream VOD is when we take off.

2 Likes

Cheers for a good day all who joined!

As mentioned on the stream, I’ve also created a flight plan which travels most of the length of the Whanganui River for anyone wanting to do some more low level racing along it’s course. The .PLN file is available here: https://worldtour.flights/flightplans/119

(This flight is the reverse of the direction of your version @ Breezewind77)

3 Likes

I just had to get a closer look with my drone, at that cool little lake on the top of the first mountain. Clicked a shot of the group…SMILE!! :grin:

2 Likes