[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Guided Rome, Italy Tour

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Flight plans will usually be brought to you by @Pieter1982NL and your regular hosts will be @simtom2 and @Jummivana.

This guided tour will is brought to you by @HowardElvis.

When: Wednesday, 2100Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

11.11 FLIGHT DETAILS

We will start our flight on the south apron of runway 25 at the famous Leonardo Da Vinci airport (LIRF) on the ocean coast not far from Rome, Italy.

With Elaine as our tour guide, we will be flying south for our first landing on the Ostia beaches. From there we head inland to Albano Lake and the Gandolfo Castle. This area is where famous wines are made like Frascati. As we proceed further north-west, we arrive at Tivoli, home of great wine and marble quarries.

We proceed into Rome, where you will be treated to some monuments of ancient Rome, newer structures, history and excellent visuals along the way. We will have two landing challenges, one in Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus) and another in St. Peter’s square in the Vatican. There isn’t much room for error on this landing.
We will finish our journey south following the Apian Way and land at Ciampino airport (LIRA) and possibly back to Leonardo Da Vinci (LIRA).

PLANNING

We will be taking the Icon A5.

Starting airport is LIRF. Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server Southeast Asia
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds
Time Sunset

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is downloadable here: 20201106 Italy Rome _ Community_Stream.pln (2.6 KB)

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

13 Likes

This fly-in should be great! I previously watched @HowardElvis do an aerial tour of Rome on his personal Twitch channel a few weeks ago. He was very knowledgeable about this historic city and really highlighted some of the beautiful architecture in the area. Looking forward to this!

4 Likes

Just FYI, your Thread titles keep showing "central time, (GMT -5:00). Since we’ve gone back to Standard Time, our local time is now GMT-6:00 for local Central time.
Regards

1 Like

If SeedyL approves of our guide then I know the tour is going to be good!

2 Likes

looks great. It will be my first interaction on twitch.

2 Likes

I can join if my sim doesn’t ctd

The flight plan starts out airborne near the airport. Is that the intended starting point?

1 Like

Aircraft, please?

Icon a5 is my aircraft.

Hey your flight plan has us spawning in the air over airport. Need a new flight plan

1 Like

I opened / exported the flight plan with LittleNavMap. Seems to work now! 20201106 Italy Rome _ Community_Stream.pln (2.6 KB) (now edited to show runway 25)

2 Likes

This flight plan leaves you in 16R so we should taxi to 25 right?

1 Like

Wonder why we had to open in little nav map and then export it? When I did it was a correct flt plan but when I went to save it it had the extension of lmnfltpn. Did not open a n fly sim

You must export as MSFS 2020 Plan

Got it ! Thanks

Hello all! Unfortunately, we are having technical issues and are re-scheduling this fly-in for another Friday. Of course, if you already have a group ready to go, please do enjoy the flight! We will soon have @HowardElvis with us to give a proper guided tour on stream.

Details for when this will be re-scheduled will be up soon.

4 Likes

For those interested, we have rescheduled this fly-in for November 11th at 2100Z! We hope some of you can still join. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The event on the calendar shows the time from 22 to 00. Which is the right one? 21 or 22 (gmt +1 of course). Thanks