[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Guided Tour of Banff National Park

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Flight plans will usually be brought to you by @Pieter1982NL and your regular hosts will be @simtom2 and @Jummivana.

This guided tour and plan is brought to you by @SeedyL3205.

When: Friday, 1900Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

16.10 FLIGHT DETAILS

We’ll be taking off from the airport in Golden, British Columbia (ICAO: CYGE), flying on a northeasterly heading through Howse Pass then turning south to fly along the Icefields Parkway. Enroute to the Town of Banff, we’ll see many stunningly beautiful lakes whose waters are an almost unworldly shade of azure blue, including Peyto Lake, Lake Louise, and Moraine Lake. Perhaps simtom2 or Pieter1982NL will call for a landing challenge on one of these? The flight will end at Banff Airport (ICAO: CYBA), a small grass field just outside of town. To protect local wildlife, this airstrip is reserved only for emergency landings in real life, but no such restriction exists in MSFS.

Please note that the .pln file linked below has the final destination as Calgary International Airport (ICAO: CYYC), but we will not be flying all the way to Calgary as part of this event. The Banff Airport is not recognized as an airstrip in MSFS (although from personal experience I can assure you it’s possible to land there), so I had to insert an alternate destination airport in order to create the flight plan.

PLANNING

We will be using an Icon A5 for this event.

Starting airport is CYGE. Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server West Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is downloadable here: Oct 23 Community Fly-In Golden to Banff.pln (6.6 KB)

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

10 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m very grateful to @Jummivana for inviting me back to guide another Community Fly-In. This time we’re visiting a place very near (literally!) and dear to me, the beautiful Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies. One could make a strong argument that this is one of the top five most picturesque places in the entire world, and its natural splendour is definitely captured by Microsoft Flight Simulator!

We’ll be taking off from the airport in Golden, British Columbia (ICAO: CYGE), flying on a northeasterly heading through Howse Pass then turning south to fly along the Icefields Parkway. Enroute to the Town of Banff, we’ll see many stunningly beautiful lakes whose waters are an almost unworldly shade of azure blue, including Peyto Lake, Lake Louise, and Moraine Lake. Perhaps @simtom2 or @Pieter1982NL will call for a landing challenge on one of these? :wink: The flight will end at Banff Airport (ICAO: CYBA), a small grass field just outside of town. To protect local wildlife, this airstrip is reserved only for emergency landings in real life, but no such restriction exists in MSFS. :slight_smile:

Please note that the .pln file linked above has the final destination as Calgary International Airport (ICAO: CYYC), but we will not be flying all the way to Calgary as part of this event. The Banff Airport is not recognized as an airstrip in MSFS (although from personal experience I can assure you it’s possible to land there), so I had to insert an alternate destination airport in order to create the flight plan.

Also joining us to provide tour guide commentary is my wife and Twitch streaming co-host FactualGull. Be sure to give her a warm welcome in chat!

See you in the skies on Friday!

7 Likes

This will be a very scenic tour indeed. I took a similar and enjoyable trip last month, and wrote about it (link below). In additional to the lakes and rivers, may I also suggest trying a landing atop of the many icefields in the park. The ICON is capable of making such a landing & takeoff… in the sim at least. :wink:

A Day in the Canadian Rockies

Have funs!

2 Likes

Nice area indeed. Looking forward to get started. :grinning:

2 Likes

2 Likes

What a great flight and scenery. Thank you for guiding us, FactualGull and SeedyL and to Jayne and Tom for hosting. Really enjoyed this one!
Landing was at 51.207942, -115.540607 in case someone wants to fly it.

By the way, does anyone know why MSFS shows generic models for some aircraft? Tom had a generic one and roughly a third other players too. Generic models are disabled in the options.
Is it because of liveries? On the stream, Tom didn’t have that issue.
Was a bit immersion-breaking to see some generic Piper(?) aircraft sitting on a lake…

Here are some shots, kind of hard to use drone for proper images while hand-flying it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First time doing the community flight. Great fun and a good way of seeing ang learning about a new area. Thanks to all who organised.

1 Like

Great flight - thanks

1 Like

@SeedyL3205, thank you so much for delivering this wonderful fly-in. Flight went smooth, the tour was scenic, and I loved listening to you, your wife and the hosts. Keep it up!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Great flight everyone. Really fun!

Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2020.10.23 - 15.50.47.11.png…

4 Likes

You also seem to have that issue with generic models for some players… I wonder why Tom didn’t. Maybe he has a livery pack installed which translates some livery names into proper models?
@simtom2: Can you tell us if you have any mods installed? Especially liveries other than your pizza one?

Tom has a custom livery for the streams. In FS2020, if you don’t have someone’s livery, their whole plane gets subbed out. It’s just a quirk.

But yeah, his pizza livery isn’t available to everyone, it’s custom for his plane and only a handful of folks have it.

1 Like

Other players also seem to have used different liveries. I’ll probably have to install the mega livery pack…
Maybe @simtom2 can provide his livery or change the name to the default Asobo name so that our sims show the correct model at least.
With XCub his generic model was flying with gear down all the time, which was ridiculous.
I mean it’s fun for him and on the stream, but is super annoying for everyone flying along.

Been getting this issue with all community fly-ins as well, I’m seeing mostly an orange Bonanza I think. My generic model setting is turned on for the AI traffic only (which I keep off anyway).

I mean, i’m not that annoyed by it. It’s just another plane. After all, the point is to look at scenery and goof off. If it subbed him out for like a 747 or something that would be annoying lol.

I am sorry I missed this! Totally my area (from calgary and it would have been my first fly in)

If anyone wants the banff flying club (CBYA) reactivated to fly from, here it is. With some upgrades. https://flightsim.to/file/569/cyba-banff-alberta-canada

1 Like

And here’s the huge dump of pics :smiley:

2 Likes