[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Bastille Day

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427, @simtom2, and @FlyingCookie650
When: Friday, July 14 @ 1800Z for two hours.
2023-07-14T18:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

July 14 is the Fête nationale française :fr:, more commonly known in English as Bastille Day. To celebrate France’s national holiday, our Community Fly-In this week will see us visit L’Hexagone.

Our departure will be from Lyon, whose airport (LFLL) is named after beloved author – and famous pioneering aviator – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. From there we will continue onwards towards the capital city of Paris, including fly-overs of several sites relevant to the French Revolution such as the Palace of Versailles, Place de la Concorde and the former location of the Bastille itself. Our full stop landing will be at Paris Le Bourget Airport (LFPB).

For the best experience, we recommend installing World Update IV and City Update II before this flight. Both are free downloads from the in-sim Marketplace.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2023-07-14 Bastille Day.PLN (6.6 KB)

We will be starting at LFLL. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Diamond DA40, Cirrus SR22, Pitts Special, Extra 330LT, or any other aircraft of your choice that can cruise at around 140 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

9 Likes

What are some good French aircraft with the fitting speed available? (In sim, Market or otherwise)

Daher is a french manufacturer. TBM 930 and Kodiak

1 Like

The Robin Cap10 is a French aircraft and should be fast enough to keep up with the group (maybe just a tad slow, but close enough).

As a kind of warm up to the community event, I will try each week to fly from my home airport to the starting point of the community flight before the actual event. So this time I flew from EHAM to LFLL, in the Kuro 787-8. This one was a relatively short one, but I look forward to future events where it will be more challenging and may even need a refuel half way or change of airplane suitable for whatever runway the event will start from :slight_smile:

As always, looking forward to the community flight this Friday!

1 Like

I don’t know about that! (the speed) It seems we usually go faster than the recommended speed and last week SOMEONE took off and slewed ahead of everyone following him :wink: I do realism. I don’t slew :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s actually a nice idea for the fridays during my summer break.

2 Likes

Initially wanted to take the PC21 on this trip but decided to fly something French, and fell upon the great Socata TB30! Unfortunately the generators or something didn’t seem to be working (or possibly failed) and I lost electrical power part way through. Had to manually extend gear and such. After that, I switched to this little Italian beauty, Aermacchi M-346 which was a complete delight to fly, super cool little jet trainer, so much more fun than I expected to have with it. Enjoyed the gorgeous scenery at 20fps once we hit Paris but it was worth it! Thanks all!

Sorry I didn’t catch the callsign/gamertag of this fella but they did an excellent job hanging onto my tail while I rounded a tight base/final for this grass strip near Paris.

Tried to catch Seedy going under the Arc de Triomphe, but the screengrab hit right when he was under it so you can’t see him succeeding with the utmost grace haha

3 Likes

It was a pleasure having you all around (my plane).

3 Likes

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to join you, fine folks, this week for the group flight.
Although I did do it solo
Community Event Fly-In Friday: Bastille Day - YouTube

The sunset during this community flight was great!

2 Likes