[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Canada

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @Jummivana, @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427 and @simtom2
Guest Canadian Co-Hosts: @CaptArash, @FactualGull1036, and @Forder1702

When: Friday, October 7 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2022-10-07T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

The highly-anticipated World Update 11: Canada launched last week, and we’re here to enjoy just a small fraction of the sights from the world’s second largest country by landmass! This week’s flight plan will see us traverse the splendid valleys and mountain passes of Canada’s two most visited national parks: Banff and Jasper. As a bonus to this week’s Fly-in, we have also invited three Canadian simmers to join us. Periodically throughout the flight, we will cut away to their POV as they showcase other parts of the country with which they are personally familiar.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-10-07 Banff-Jasper.PLN (15.6 KB)

We will be starting at CYBW. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, JMB Aviation VL-3, Pipistrel Virus, Pilatus PC-6 Porter, or any other plane of your choice with a cruise speed of around 120 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

11 Likes

Looking forward to this. Can Xbox users have a screenshot of the flight plan? Thanks

2 Likes

Where are the stops along the way? I can see only custom waypoints…(it’s so I can make a better decision wich plane to use)

Seedy is back! Cool…

Hope Jayne survived her first flying lesson, it was worrying …Jayne sounded very nervous…

I didn’t see anything in the news so fingers crossed she didn’t land it into Lake Union. Lol.

Whoops! I took the screenshot yesterday but forgot to upload it. Fixed now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are no touch & go landings on this flight plan as there are no airports enroute, but if you want to fly an amphib, you could optionally choose to land on Lake Louise. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Seedy :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI regarding navigation: it may look complicated and that there are dozens of waypoints in this flight plan, but we’re really just following the highway all the way from Springbank to Jasper. The entire flight plan can be flown IFR: I follow roads. Unless you want to enable an autopilot to navigate for you, you shouldn’t even need the .pln file to enjoy this route.

2 Likes

Strange that Cpt Canada was not invited any reason as to why?

Please give me a few minutes …

Flight Plan Map for XBox users:

Hope one day the XBox users can have the same functionality with sharing flight plans as we PC guys have!!

1 Like

There is an airport at Banff which sadly isn’t in the default sim. There is also a water fix mod to repair Lake Louise and other lakes on the flightplan

1 Like

The grass strip in Banff (CYBA) is only maintained for emergency landings. Normal flight ops aren’t permitted there. That probably explains why it’s not in the default sim.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll be having an in-flight emergency tonight :slight_smile:

Seedy: I think we flew there one time last year, the strip is there (grass). Can’t remember if the airport was listed or not, but definitely landable. This was in Base Sim.

1 Like

Yeah, the grass strip is in the sim and you can land there, but it doesn’t show up as an airport on the World Map.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

Banff shows up if you have Navigraph installed. I did a touch and go there as we flew through. It’s icon on the world map is displayed though, which may also be due to Navigraph, but I’d need to double check with LNM.