[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Galapagos Islands

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427, @simtom2, and @FactualGull1036

When: Friday, February 10 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2023-02-10T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Sunday, February 12 is the birthday of Charles Darwin, a date recognized internationally as “Darwin Day”. To celebrate Darwin’s contributions to science and naturalism, we will be visiting the Galapagos Islands, retracing part of the famous voyage of the HMS Beagle. The Galapagos archipelago is a site of immense biological diversity. Carefully observing the plant and animal life in this unique ecosystem led directly to Darwin chronicling his observations in his seminal 1859 publication “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection”, one of the foundational documents of modern biology.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file below:
2023-02-10 Galapagos.PLN (5.4 KB)

We will be starting at SEII. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Diamond DA40NG, Diamond DA40 TDI, Pitts Special, Extra 330LT, or any other plane of your choice that can maintain a cruise speed of approximately 135 knots.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

11 Likes

Maybe with events like this one you’ll manage to take a look to all forgotten Latin America…

There are way too many places to fly, with difficult approaches and magnificent views.

1 Like

Hello @TumblingBee,

We visit a different part of the world every week on Community Fly-In Friday. We try to cover the entire planet and fly to a new region each time. In previous Fly-Ins over the last year, we visited Argentina :argentina:, Brazil :brazil:, Chile :chile:, and Panama :panama: (plus Ecuador :ecuador: this week). We’ll certainly be flying to more Latin American destinations again in the future. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

Thank you for the flight today!

1 Like

I had a chuckle at all of the jokes today! Thanks @FactualGull1036 for the dad jokes!!

I had fun with flying in the witch. Never a boring fly in :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was cool. AutoBroom!

2 Likes

Dont forget our gorgeous local Gulf Islands, Vancouver North Shore Mountains and a nice fly from Vancouver eastward out to the agricultural region in Abbotsford and up the valley east area to Hope, where you meet the local mountains there! Great flight.

1 Like

Oh, yes. I know, and thanks for your reply. Maybe I did not express myself well.

I’m talking about taking Latin America into account for future developments of sceneries, cities, airports.

I really feel that we are not well represented in the sim world, with only a few locations (Chagual, Peru; Quito, Ecuador, and Honduras MHTG Toncontin, and that’s it).

You have not even included Tocumen (MPTO Panama City), one of the most important hubs in the entire region.

I recommend that you take Colombia into account on future flights, with the difficult approaches and landings at airports in cities such as Bogota (SKBO - 8,000ft), Pasto (SKPS via circling runway 20), Manizales (SKMZ with its one direction only runway), MedellĂ­n (SKMD Approach by the Runway 20) and Bucaramanga (SKBG, which looks like an aircraft carrier).

SKBO, SKPS and SKBG, can receive Airliners. SKMD is for regional traffric, including small jets, and SKMZ is for regional and small aircraft only.

Anyway, thanks for the events. They are a magnificent opportunity for simmers from all over the world to learn more about our territory.

1 Like